Confirmed with Link: Nyquist signs with CBJ (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He's an upgrade at 2C. Glad we got him at fairly reasonable terms. That's the good news.

Still not crazy about the signing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Meh about the player. But I'm among those who felt like something needed done at forward, and this is a serviceable player on a workable contract. It was kind of a joke earlier when I called this the Dzingel replacement but really...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is a smart, solid signing. Almost as if someone in the CBJ brain trust maybe had a plan or something. It's almost like they put some thought into this.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is a smart, solid signing. Almost as if someone in the CBJ brain trust maybe had a plan or something. It's almost like they put some thought into this.

Jarmo before this signing

tumblr_maz214Y7ku1r13uy0.gif

pled

Sep 7, 2009
what contract details would break the deal for you ? I honestly dont care much for the money distribution at his age but a full nmc would suck

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Im ok with Gus.. really wish we would have gone all in on Joe Pavelski at 7MM per year. As other posters have said, Texier needs to play centre for the CBJ, who knows what his ceiling is, but Texier and Bernstrom should both end up in the lineup eh? With Foudy coming in next year? Did Duby get bought out yet?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Im ok with Gus.. really wish we would have gone all in on Joe Pavelski at 7MM per year. As other posters have said, Texier needs to play centre for the CBJ, who knows what his ceiling is, but Texier and Bernstrom should both end up in the lineup eh? With Foudy coming in next year? Did Duby get bought out yet?
theres no reason to bough out a leader like duby when you dont have cap constraints if they were to get a big singing maybe but not this year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So I've been doing a bit on research on Nyqvist and it appears to me he is mainly a RW. Hopefully he can play LW. If not then one of OB or Andy better get practicing the other side.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Thats why i said depending on the hit. Hes too much of a 1 trick pony and likely go through many high/lows but I expect his lows to be around playoff time which definitely means you cant overpay
also portz said jarmo had no more interest negotiating with dzing so he wont come back

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
what contract details would break the deal for you ? I honestly dont care much for the money distribution at his age but a full nmc would suck

I would hope Jarmo didn't eff this up.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
So I've been doing a bit on research on Nyqvist and it appears to me he is mainly a RW. Hopefully he can play LW. If not then one of OB or Andy better get practicing the other side.
yes he can play LW and can also play center but I dont think he ever did play center in the NHL so even foligno is higher than him in the center depth chart. I just mention it to say he can play anywhere without too much issue.

Reactions: EspenK

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Let's throw him on Wennberg's wing and see what they can do. Flip one of Anderson or Bjorkstrand to the left side(unless Nyquist can play on the left) and we're actually pretty good on the wings depending on how ready Bemstrom and Tex are.

Anderson-Dubois-Cam
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Tex/Bemstrom-Jenner-Foligno
Tex/Bemstrom-Nash/Dubinsky

I dunno. No solid #1 line, but obviously Wennys line won't be taking as many faceoffs, but I would imagine would see a lot of offensive time. Wennberg absolutely needs a fire lit under his ass if this team wants a shot to compete. Our center depth truly depends on him. If he can rebound we're sitting pretty, if we get what we had last season we'll be lucky to be within reach of a bubble spot.

Although the off-season is just starting, I'm still expecting more moves. But the Jarmo kind, small moves to shore up Cleveland and maybe another older player in case Bemstrom and Tex need time in the AHL.

Nyquist seems like a better fit with Cam, Bemstrom, and or Texier.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
“It’s a young team with a lot of good pieces and some really good veteran leaders,” Nyquist told The Athletic. “It seems like an exciting place to play, too. I’ve played against Columbus in Columbus quite a bit and it’s a fun place to play. It was great to watch them go on a run this spring.
“My goal is to contribute higher in the lineup, on the top lines. I’m going to work hard to be a productive player.”

Blue Jackets sign Gustav Nyquist to help boost top line...

Reactions: Jackets16

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
As usual, in Jarmo I trust.

Good signing, he'll fit in with the CBJ.

I'm confident we'll have a bounce back player this season, and a rookie come through too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad