Speculation: Nylander XXIII - The Today Will Be a **** Show One Way or Another Edition (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
and he is right because he would get almost the same amount of money this year in Russia. and next year get a million or 2 million more a year on a long term contract on another team.
Bingo!!!!

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Nylander to Arizona.

I’m not a Leaf fan at all but I can only imagine what a distraction this has been. Leafs have a good young/veteran group of forwards, could use the cap space going forward and could get a top 4-dman in a good trade.

Just picked Arizona cause it was the first team that popped in my mind. Hell send him to LA, Van, StL or whoever but get something you need out of it. Leafs are a real good team this year, etc.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm gunna be pissed at both sides if this oesn't get resolved. They are playing chicken over no more than $500k. Just get the deal done and let's get moving.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Agree. Roenick said it well in his tweet btw.

He should just sign a six year deal close to seven million and he can get his huge payday in 5,5 years when he already has 40 million in his account because he signed a fair deal for what he had done prior to his contract... Poor guy

That's easy for Roenick to say with a net worth approaching $40 million

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think maybe Mark Giordano.

Gio's situation was different, he wasn't a sit out because of money, he didn't get signed because he wasn't very good. He himself has said that going to the KHL really woke him up to how he needed to play and when he came back to the NHL he was a different player.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
and he is right because he would get almost the same amount of money this year in Russia. and next year get a million or 2 million more a year on a long term contract on another team.

Pretty much but I doubt it'll be long term though. Nylander holds all the cards here. He's one of the bright young talents of the game. If the Leafs don't pay him someone else will.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Top players in the KHL make just over a million US. Even tax free, thats less than what he makes here. And he plays in an inferior league, and I don't think he wants to play there over the NHL.

Sobotka made $2.6 million playing for Omsk (the team that has Nylanders rights) in 2016. He would lose money but perhaps not as much as he would lose by signing below value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agents and players have figured out that the RFA system means that NHL teams get their best players' best years at discount values.

NHL teams trying to compete realize that their success depends on a model where their best young players are playing at below market value.

If Dubas holds the line and either gets Nylander at a good price, or forces Nylander to play outside the NHL this season he would leap to the front of the unofficial "GM of the Year" contest, if other GMs voted on it.

Reactions: flyersfan187

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Your blindness to the situation was matched months ago by so many other Leafs fans who said, and I quote....."It won't be a problem to sign them"...….unquote.

As this plays out for the Leafs over the next 2 to 5 years, we'll shall see. But as of right now, today, the 1st "Cap Casualty" of that Tavares signing sure does appear to be a reality.
It shouldn't have been difficult. These responses were to posts that didn't get the basic math behind the cap space the Leafs had. If Nylander doesn't sign, it's because he's not being a rational actor, and that's hard to predict.

If Nylander is willing to sign fair value between 6.5-7M to start, this would have been done a while ago. If the rumour is true, and he actually expected 8.5, and refused to budget from that for a while, then it's an extenuating circumstance.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Sobotka made $2.6 million playing for Omsk (the team that has Nylanders rights) in 2016. He would lose money but perhaps not as much as he would lose by signing below value.

The question / challenge is, does he really see his bargaining position improving 7 months from now?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Who wants to avatar bet? I’m betting Willy signs in Toronto in the next 4 hours and 6 minutes. Anyone? Put your avatar where your mouth is!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gio's situation was different, he wasn't a sit out because of money, he didn't get signed because he wasn't very good. He himself has said that going to the KHL really woke him up to how he needed to play and when he came back to the NHL he was a different player.

The question was: When was the last time an unsigned RFA sat out the entire season.

He felt he proved all he could prove at the AHL level and the Flames wouldn't give him a one-way deal so he left to play against higher competition in the KHL. After a solid season in Russia, the Flames changed their tune and gave him an one-way contract.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Agree. Roenick said it well in his tweet btw.

He should just sign a six year deal close to seven million and he can get his huge payday in 5,5 years when he already has 40 million in his account because he signed a fair deal for what he had done prior to his contract... Poor guy

Um... wouldn't this had been over a long time ago if Dubas was willing to offer that?

Reactions: Helistin

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
There is no scenario where he makes no money this year. If he isn't signed in the next few hours, he will be in the KHL before the sun sets making tax-free dollars.

If worst comes to worst, I think he'd do better monetarily in the SEL over the KHL.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
No idea what the result will be today. But he plays one more season max with the Leafs. Taking it this far makes it too personal and/or too dramatic for everyone...himself, teammates, management media and fans.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad