Speculation: Nylander XXIII - The Today Will Be a **** Show One Way or Another Edition (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Why on earth would Nylander sign a $3 or $4 million contract?

I can't see the motivation either. He'd probably want a 2 - 4 year bridge that brings him to (or minimally closer to) free agency. A five (5) year term would be good too (or even better for WN), but can't see the Leafs doing that as it would be really bad for them. Leafs would want enough term (but not five years) to make him attractive to potential trading partners if Dubas can't reach agreement with Willy's camp in the summer (by or around July 1).

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nylander isn't going to cave in. His father is likely imploring young William to stick to his guns and that a year in Europe instead of the NHL isn't so bad because he did it before too

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When was the last time a RFA sat out a whole season? I'm sure it's been answered in the thread but it's hard to keep up.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So what? Did he sign there? Wanna bet WN doesn't sign for anything close to that?

Two years ago, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk were the KHL's two highest players at $4.5. Nice try though.

I'm not suggesting Nylander would get $7 million dollars. I'm refuting the idiotic claim that top players in the KHL make $1 million.

Surely you could have discerned that by, you know, reading the post?

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Top Khl players can make significantly more then a million, Nylander would become likely top or top three paid guys in the khl. Payrolls can be found online, last time I looked top guy was paid about 5 million us. Nylander would make less then the nhl true, but not even close to a million
is there season not started? he wont make full seaons money if so

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
This isn’t getting done, is it? I don’t see how Nylander plays another game as a Leaf it doesn’t. Relationship will be untenable between both him and the organization and him and the fanbase.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Datsyuk and Kovalchuk made/make between 4.5-5.5M because they are Russian legends there. You think that they pay Nylander anywhere close to their home grown legends, and the fans and everyone there will be ok with that? He's not making more there than the NHL.

But you just said few minutes ago that top players make just over a million in KHL?

Like this.

Top players in the KHL make just over a million US. Even tax free, thats less than what he makes here. And he plays in an inferior league, and I don't think he wants to play there over the NHL.

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
It's extremely rare for the KHL to get a European star in their prime. Nylander, even pro-rated, would get offered a nice contract and it is *entirely* tax-free. It would be quite easy for him to make a significant chunk of change this year in the KHL. Even if he was offered a $3 million deal, with the lack of taxes, he would still come out on top.

You are burying your heading the sand to pretend otherwise.
Right, so if it's so great I can't seem to understand why there isn't a lineup of players going over there. :rolleyes:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Radulov turned down a $7 million US contract in the KHL to sign with the Montreal Canadiens back in 2016.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Radulov was a high profile Russian star, and one of the best in the KHL, during a time when the league wasn't in the financial mess that it is now. That rumoured contract was used entirely for NHL negotiations, and would have never been signed, and/or never paid out in full.

The league is a financial mess, it's losing teams, it's rigged for 2 teams that can afford to pay players that I'm pretty sure Nylander couldn't even join. Nylander would be risking not only his happiness, success and development, but also his financial security, especially if he gets injured.

The only players who make even remotely close to half of what Nylander would make in the NHL, are legendary Russian stars, and the league has only gone downhill from then.

There is also less than half of the KHL season left to go, so any amount he would make is already more than cut in half.

The KHL is not a real option.

Reactions: FalcorMulch

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I feel bad for you if you think I'm reading all that.

Genius, he can't play in the NHL, that's all that matters. There's no risk for the Leafs. They're a top 3 team in the league and a legit cup contender without him. Unless the right deal comes along, he's staying put.

And LOL if Nylander isn't signed then the Leafs have no problems fitting in Matthews and Marner and have no cap concerns. Nylander will come back at a price warranted for his production or he'll sit at home. The Leafs have no problem with it. And they'll have a great chance at winning the cup with or without him.
Your blindness to the situation was matched months ago by so many other Leafs fans who said, and I quote....."It won't be a problem to sign them"...….unquote.

As this plays out for the Leafs over the next 2 to 5 years, we'll shall see. But as of right now, today, the 1st "Cap Casualty" of that Tavares signing sure does appear to be a reality.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Sure you did. You just didn't use the exact word.

Nope, if that is what I wanted to say I would have said it. I don't think Nylander is greedy or wrong, it's fully in his right to ask for whatever he wants. I have no problem with him sitting/getting traded to get what he wants if that is the hill he wants to die on. It's his career, not mine.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Right, so if it's so great I can't seem to understand why there isn't a lineup of players going over there. :rolleyes:

It's not so great. It's got all kinds of problems and is clearly a step below the NHL in many regards.

But to pretend it isn't a viable plan B - and a way for Nylander to recoup some of the million he will lose this year is beyond stupid.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yes but they can negotiate with him and other teams before it gets to arbitration next summer. It just buys more time.

The Leafs have had 16 months to negotiate with Nylander, and haven't come to a deal. I don't think another 8 months is going to make a difference.

Bottom line is, they need him either locked up until Marleau is gone, or need him gone.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
For some of you, logic is your kryptonite.

Go to the KHL and when he wants to come back, the Leafs still own him. Willie sure has the Leafs over a barrel.

He's not an idiot. He's signing today.

Agree. Roenick said it well in his tweet btw.

He should just sign a six year deal close to seven million and he can get his huge payday in 5,5 years when he already has 40 million in his account because he signed a fair deal for what he had done prior to his contract... Poor guy

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Nylander isn't going to cave in. His father is likely imploring young William to stick to his guns and that a year in Europe instead of the NHL isn't so bad because he did it before too
and he is right because he would get almost the same amount of money this year in Russia. and next year get a million or 2 million more a year on a long term contract on another team.

Reactions: Yatzhee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad