Speculation: Nylander XXIII - The Today Will Be a **** Show One Way or Another Edition (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Kane and Wilson were not coming off ELC's? I am talking ELC here.

Meh, Wilson’s was still an RFA contract, and even after considering RFA/UFA/Fresh off ELC, Kane and Wilson’s contracts are much worse than something like 8X8 would be for Nylander.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Meh, Wilson’s was still an RFA contract, and even after considering RFA/UFA/Fresh off ELC, Kane and Wilson’s contracts are much worse than something like 8X8 would be for Nylander.

I agree with that. I still think we all should be hoping for good contracts, and not for ones that drive up prices, that's all I mean.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
To Isles: Nylander

To Toronto: Signed Eberle and NYI 1st

Toronto gets a less expensive winger for a little less production, meanwhile they save the cap to sign Matthews, Marner, etc while also receiving another 1st in this years draft. They now will have a substantial amount of picks to play around with at the deadline in order to get an upgrade in an area of weakness as they gear up for the playoffs. Or, they can use the draft pick to draft a good prospect depending on where the Islanders look to be picking come the TDL.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
strap in boys, this is gonna be a fun ride

Not a lot of time left.. at this point Alzner for Nylander might be the best offer on the table. Or just overpay the man already!

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Plot twist: Nylander is going to lead an nWo style invasion of the NHL captaining a team comprised of the best 23 players not currently in the NHL.
I actually talked about this today with some hockey buddies.

WN signs, Shanahan walks down like Vinnie Mac, Stone Cold's music comes on, the entire team takes turns giving stunners to WN which ends in AM34 spray painting bWo all over Nylander while Marner laughs like Jimmy Hart.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I actually talked about this today with some hockey buddies.

WN signs, Shanahan walks down like Vinnie Mac, Stone Cold's music comes on, the entire team takes turns giving stunners to WN which ends in AM34 spray painting bWo all over Nylander while Marner laughs like Jimmy Hart.

That would be way too much fun for the NHL to handle.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He was a Tampa fan? I know super dad played there a couple of years.

4C0C12AB-D58D-4DF3-AEF7-4A3C065D9365.jpeg

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012

Toronto gets a less expensive winger for a little less production, meanwhile they save the cap to sign Matthews, Marner, etc while also receiving another 1st in this years draft. They now will have a substantial amount of picks to play around with at the deadline in order to get an upgrade in an area of weakness as they gear up for the playoffs. Or, they can use the draft pick to draft a good prospect depending on where the Islanders look to be picking come the TDL.

Makes 0 sense for the Leafs. Eberle will want just as much as Nylander once he hits UFA at the end of the season.

Reactions: Devonator

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Lol Eberle has very little value

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Okay, let me explain this to those who don’t understand: By saying “we can, and we will”, and therefore making a promise to his impatient and massive fan base, Dubas gave leverage to Nylander. Now, if Dubas fails to sign Nylander, he is in a position where he lied to his fan base. By making that comment, Dubas created increased external motivation for him to sign Nylander. This gave leverage to Nylander.

For a very, very simple analogy, for the posters that don’t understand: Kyle Dubas and Brendan Shanahan are with a 5 year old child in a toy store. The child asks “Kyle, can you and Brendan buy me this super awesome toy?” Dumbass Dubas responds “We can, and we will.” Then, Kyle asks the owner of the store how much the toy costs. Before hearing that comment, the owner of the toy store was willing to sell that toy for $50. But after hearing that comment, the owner of the toy store realizes that he has added leverage, due to dumbass Dubas’ comments, and so he asks for more. After all, because he is now at risk of disappointing this little kid, and because the toy store owner knows this, there is more at stake for Dubas than there was before he made these comments.

Dubas didn’t have to make that comment. It was completely unnecessary and he gave a ton of leverage to Nylander. That is a big part of why he looks particularly bad here.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Okay, let me explain this to those who don’t understand: By saying “we can, and we will”, and therefore making a promise to his impatient and massive fan base, Dubas gave leverage to Nylander. Now, if Dubas fails to sign Nylander, he is in a position where he lied to his fan base. By making that comment, Dubas created increased external motivation for him to sign Nylander. This gave leverage to Nylander.

For a very, very simple analogy, for the posters that don’t understand: Kyle Dubas and Brendan Shanahan are with a 5 year old child in a toy store. The child asks “Kyle, can you and Brendan buy me this super awesome toy?” Dumbass Dubas responds “We can, and we will.” Then, Kyle asks the owner of the store how much the toy costs. Before hearing that comment, the owner of the toy store was willing to sell that toy for $50. But after hearing that comment, the owner of the toy store realizes that he has added leverage, due to dumbass Dubas’ comments, and so he asks for more.

Dubas didn’t have to make that comment. It was completely unnecessary and he gave a ton of leverage to Nylander. That is a big part of why he looks particularly bad here.
except it's only leverage if he can maneuver it into getting a better deal for himself. Instead all that will happen is Dubas looks slightly bad as Nylander derails his career

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Another question:

IF Nylander panics at the last hour and signs and offersheet that a team has submitted before him, how long do the Leafs have to match, and what happens if they match after the 5:00pm deadline?

Could a team have him sign and if the Leafs match he is ineligible to play for them for the year but he collects a paycheck?

Just thinking of some other scenarios that I haven't read about. A last minute offersheet signing would mean that he signed with a team before the deadline but the one he signs to match with the Leafs would also have to be before the deadline no?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Another question:

IF Nylander panics at the last hour and signs and offersheet that a team has submitted before him, how long do the Leafs have to match, and what happens if they match after the 5:00pm deadline?

Could a team have him sign and if the Leafs match he is ineligible to play for them for the year but he collects a paycheck?

If they match after the 5:00 PM deadline, he is ineligible to play in the NHL until next season. It's just like any other contract.

Reactions: Coach Parker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad