Speculation: Nylander XXII - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
As a non Leaf fan I’ll suggest that Leaf fans ignore the insulting comments. After years of struggling Leafs have a top notch team. Leafs made the bold decision to sign JT and go for it. They have an open window and the fans should be excited. They have Matthews Marner and JT up front. Plus supporting guys like Kapanen and Kadri. Top notch forwards. A solid goalie and a defense that is not great but they have a few good pieces and it’s not like PIT or WAS had top notch defenses when they won. If Nylander doesn’t fit the salary structure then just trade him. He won’t return an equal forward but he’ll return a good defender. It won’t be a Notris caliber player but a very good player that can help the Leafs. Nylander is a very good player but the Leafs can win without him if he would rather sit than change his demand.

There quite a few leaf haters that despite that can appreciate how stacked they are. Lumping everyone together is absurd.

Reactions: My3Sons

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
This is DW. He only emerges from his tanning bed to inexplicably swindle other GM’s before slinking back into the booth.

Sure... I’ve seen many an example. But Dubas has zero pressure to make a move so he’s going to get a return similar to Sakic got on Duchene. Or Nylander will sit and then maybe sit some more.

Although frankly I think he just signs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
what if its Nylander wanting more than hes worth not Dubas paying him unfairly [mod]

Lol "What if." What if Nylander is being held hostage by aliens to sit out the season. You got to be pretty naïve to think that the Leafs who have one of the most expensive RFAs of recent history in Matthews up for contract, Marner a top 10 production player up for contract, and about 4-5 other players needing contracts next year on top of the most expensive free agent in the Cap era in Tavares will pay a complementary piece like Nylander fairly.

There's lots of teams in the league that are starved for stars like Nylander who would happily pay him what he wants. Toronto is trying to stinge him, it's the most obvious reason why this "negotiation" has turned into such a shit show.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Not sure I get all this “there’s no pressure for Dubas to make a move” talk. If he doesn’t, he’ll then have to worry about signing him, Kapanen, Matthews, Marner, and Gardiner next offseason. I’m sure he’d rather not do that.

Or we could trade him then for a better package. We're contenders without him as well.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I honestly can’t believe Nylander would rather sit out a season than lower his price a little bit. That just seems like bad advice from the people whispering in his ear.

He's constantly been treated poorly by leafs. They're going to lead him on and trade him the second its convenient.

Their core is marner Matthews Tavares. Him and Kadri are expendable.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
One fair proposal on Nylanders end, that is if the Leafs want to keep him, is give him top dollar just for this season and a AAV of $5.5 for the remaining seven years. Something like that anyway.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Not sure I get all this “there’s no pressure for Dubas to make a move” talk. If he doesn’t, he’ll then have to worry about signing him, Kapanen, Matthews, Marner, and Gardiner next offseason. I’m sure he’d rather not do that.

Not to mention if he knows that Nylander isnt staying, the longer he holds him out the less he’s going to return whenever he does return to hockey. Letting him sit for a season or longer isn’t going to strengthen the offers for a guy who hasn’t played for that long.

Meh, just fun speculation anyway, I’d expect a short term deal to be worked out then he either walks at the end or is traded next season before they let him wither on the vine.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Nylander will be coming to Chicago e5
For who? I’m not that interested considering he wants top dollar plus we lose an asset. I’d rather see this team build one last year and sign panarin(or less probable stone). No asset given up.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's constantly been treated poorly by leafs. They're going to lead him on and trade him the second its convenient.

What makes you think he has been treaded poorly? He was strapped to Matthews, since game 1 of Matthews career (for the most part).

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity to score alot of points and get a nice contract to me.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

OH NOESSS THE FEELINGS *SADFACE

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
As a Bruins fan with a bias against the Leafs adding that one D piece they are missing this would be the best possible scenario; they don't get assets for him and they don't get him.

Sadly, I don't think they will let this trade chip sit when they are so close to a legitimate cup run. This isn't hate talk, this is observing a team missing one piece in the third period of game seven and then possibly adding that piece and Tavares; that's a cup contender.
Agreed. I think this is what many are missing. Having the deadline pass does not mean that Nylander is completely out of play as an asset. I see a lot of opposing fans hoping and praying that Willy sits. All I can say is be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: Coach Parker

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

If he doesn't sign tomorrow, he's never playing for the Leafs again. So, no need to worry about signing him.

It's then only a question of whether he's dealt at the deadline or around the draft.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
If the deadline comes and goes, can the Leafs trade Nylander to a team that’s out of it / tanking, for someone to play for them this year (knowing full well that Willy can’t play for his new team this year)?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lmao TSN out here making Babcock look like an idiot.

Yesterdays headline

Babock " nylander is going to be a Leaf for life "

Today's headline

Babcock " were not begging anyone to be a leaf"

Bruh just say nothing...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
What makes you think he has been treaded poorly? He was strapped to Matthews, since game 1 of Matthews career (for the most part).

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity to score alot of points and get a nice contract to me.
What's the point of being strapped to Mathews for a nice contract that will never come, since, you know, all the other teams know it was Mathews that made you, not yourself............

I swear, some posts just scream for a chuckle.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I honestly can’t believe Nylander would rather sit out a season than lower his price a little bit. That just seems like bad advice from the people whispering in his ear.

Or good advice for everyone playing in the NHL if it is fellow players whispering in his ear to not relent at all. A lot of future RFA's watching this and wanting him to get the maximum amount and a lot of GM's applauding the new GM in Toronto.

Just poor timing of the order of things for him it seems.

Reactions: viper0220
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad