Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Does anyone consider him anything other than a second pairing guy?

Yes Oiler fans were calling him a stud top pairing shutdown guy for a while now. However every time I watch him I come away unimpressed.. Poor offensive instincts and not great at transition which is important in today's NHL.. He gets walked a lot for a defensive guy.. But he is good down low and along the boards which is valuable.. Not for Nylander though.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The only way that I see Slavin in a trade with the Leafs, is if something like Slavin + Pesce + Kuokkanen for Gardiner + Nylander +1st went down (maybe there is more from one side, or the other... just saying as a basis). The only argument that I can make on that one, is if Carolina feels that they need to upgrade their offense from the back and the front.... The challenge being, Gardiner is a UFA, and Nylander isn't signed... Carolina easily has the cap space to do it though, but I'd probably be pissed if I were a Carolina fan at that. I mean, Carolina has spent a great deal of time scouting the Leafs.... HF would blowup at such a trade.

Toronto though, with Slavin, Rielly, Pesce in their top four.... That's a pretty good D core.
Can you bend over Carolina more? I'm not sure they are getting screwed enough in that deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's obviously not going to sit there and say anything negative but if he wasn't confident he likely wouldn't say anything at all. If he wasn't confident Nylander would be signed he wouldn't sit in front of the camera and make himself look like an idiot.

It's just odd that he was so quite about the whole thing and then in the last week and change he is speaking publicly like this with a lot of confidence. That's not like Babs he's usually cards to the chest type of guy.

Untill Sir Bob says it's close or we get a confirmed signing with a link these mean very little.

gearharb

Apr 12, 2007
USA!!!
This whole situation keeps looking more and more like the Michael Peca holdout situation he had with the Sabres in 2001. Ultimately, that trade didn't work out for either side but the Sabres were able to acquire two top 10 pick prospects out of it.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Except that it might get him traded but I think that's what he really wanted all along.

I'm sure if there's a trade there will be a discussion with Nylander's camp first and he would likely have to sign off on an extension with the other team. Unlikely that they would catch him off guard.

I also don't buy that he wants to be traded. Why? He's playing wing next to an elite centre on one of the best up and coming young teams in the league. I could maybe understand if he had a specific place in mind but he has very little control over where he would end up. The current front-runner if the rumors are to be trusted is a small market, cap floor bubble team that probably won't give him the contract he wants either.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What is the over/under on a Nylander/TML signing or trade, before he gets to miss the NHL season?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The only way that I see Slavin in a trade with the Leafs, is if something like Slavin + Pesce + Kuokkanen for Gardiner + Nylander +1st went down (maybe there is more from one side, or the other... just saying as a basis). The only argument that I can make on that one, is if Carolina feels that they need to upgrade their offense from the back and the front.... The challenge being, Gardiner is a UFA, and Nylander isn't signed... Carolina easily has the cap space to do it though, but I'd probably be pissed if I were a Carolina fan at that. I mean, Carolina has spent a great deal of time scouting the Leafs.... HF would blowup at such a trade.

Toronto though, with Slavin, Rielly, Pesce in their top four.... That's a pretty good D core.

It's good to be ambitious, but jeez

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017

So you want 2 players on premium contracts and a high prospect for 2 players looking to get paid and basically a 2nd round pick. There's no way this deal happens. I'll eat a Leafs hat if this happens.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Were probably not getting slavin. Hes too important to them. But Pesce I could see.

Agreed. If the Canes offered Slavin i think this deal would've gone through long time ago. 5.3Mx7 for a guy who can defend the top players in the world and pot 30 pts would be the dream for Toronto.

Larsson is overrated. I have no interest in him. He's a 2nd pairing D.

Well, that's pretty much what Pesce is. And i think that's who the Canes are offering but Leafs are probably hesitant. I'd probably prefer Larsson if i was Dubas just because the Canes core is young and i think Nylander would improve the team a lot. Rather send him to opposite conference if the player you're getting back is pretty much the same. Assuming Oilers would add something good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad