Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's a real standoff.

Hard to believe Leafs will just let him sit out the year without signing him or at worst trading him, and hard to believe he'd want to just sit either. But it's getting late...

Dubas is playing hardball and trying to set a precedent for next summer when he has to do this all over again with many important RFA's.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto entertains NO deal with CAR with Pesce as the piece coming back. Not even close value for Willy Nylander.

If CAR wants Nylander that bad, the price is Slavin straight up. Don't like it, too bad...you are not getting Nylander for anything less. If you want a young 22 yo stud, you are going to pay.

Oh boy... these absolute statements... some people are going to look pretty silly if a trade actually goes down. It's like these people act like they've got inside information, and know exactly what the Leafs will, and won't do... which of course they don't. Pesce + Kuokkanen + Gauthier with Nylander + going the other way, actually would do more for the Leafs than Slavin would...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think this is what many non-Leaf fans want to see.
Sign Nylander to an inflated deal and deal with the problem afterwards.
I think Leafs management sees it differently though. He either signs a deal that management is comfortable with or he sits out the year. It would suck to not have him in the lineup but the Leafs are looking to compete for years. This season cannot be the only season considered in any contract.
You gotta believe that Nylander sees this by now. The Leafs have been top 3 in the NHL without him. Heck, they have been top 3 without him and Matthews. He has to know that he lost all leverage as the season went on. The ball is in his court now. I cant imagine the Leafs offer will change between now and Saturday.
It sucks it came to this but it is what it is.
As a non leaf fan I'd rather see him sit the season out rather than Toronto overpaying by even 1 million

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Oh boy... these absolute statements... some people are going to look pretty silly if a trade actually goes down. It's like these people act like they've got inside information, and know exactly what the Leafs will, and won't do... which of course they don't.

:clap:

Reactions: shortfuze

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why are there people celebrating that the Leafs might trade Nylander? Are you that worried about the Leafs being fully loaded or do you think this is the Dave Nonis show and Nylander will get traded for a glorified bottom pairing D?

I want Nylander signed. I want him here long term. However if that does not happen, IF he is traded, it will be for something that makes the Leafs better positioned for winning in the long term and NOT the best "meh" offer like some are hoping.

On top of that, it would solve all the Leafs cap situations. You guys are screwed either way. Either the Leafs get him signed to a deal they can manage or they get cap relief and assets to put them over the top.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I could see MTL make an offer, Nylander would make their top 6 really dynamic

Would have to be Petry as the base and then we would need something to make up the gap in age value and years of control.

Petry + 1st + 2nd likely gets it done it allows them to stock up the prospect pool a bit more either to replace internally or use for trade and also gets them a guy who is better than Hainsey for the top pair.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
With Willy's confidence in himself, I wonder if the ego in him is sick of always being called the third wheel. May like the idea of being the big show, not to mention playing center. Sometimes it works...sometimes you become Tracy McGrady.

A year ago almost everyone ranked Nylander higher than Marner. So "always" seems a little much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark