Speculation: Nylander XII - The Saga Continues (ALL NYLANDER DISCUSSION HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Leafs fans are overvaluying Nylander big time, because he wont fetch you Slavin or Hamilton straight up in a 1 vs 1 trade. Pesce isnt a sexy name or a 50 point scorer, but hes still young (23), physical and very effective in his own end. Hes also a natural rightie, something lacking badly with the Leafs right now (except for Zaitsev). Sure, the Canes would probably need to add a lil. something to balance out an hypothetical trade offer (a young forward like Gauthier, Roy or Necas) , but if they're really ALL IN for Nylander, it wont be a problem for them.

I don't think that there are lot of Leafs fans making those claims. Pesce plus someone like Gauthier, Roy or Necas is around where most fans seem to be. I proposed Pesce and either Gauthier or Roy a couple weeks ago. Would also be happy with Necas or Fox being the add. Slavin is great, but would be too expensive and is left-handed. Hamilton is great, but would rather build the Leafs D around Rielly and Pesce. No interest in the LAK proposal. I would rather the Leafs keep Nylander, but (despite Nylander's public comments), I just don't think that he wants to play for Babcock for the next 5 months, let alone 5 years.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think that there are lot of Leafs fans making those claims. Pesce plus someone like Gauthier, Roy or Necas is around where most fans seem to be. I proposed Pesce and either Gauthier or Roy a couple weeks ago. Would also be happy with Necas or Fox being the add. Slavin is great, but would be too expensive and is left-handed. Hamilton is great, but would rather build the Leafs D around Rielly and Pesce. No interest in the LAK proposal. I would rather the Leafs keep Nylander, but (despite Nylander's public comments), I just don't think that he wants to play for Babcock for the next 5 months, let alone 5 years.

Right there you have a top4 RD on a beauty longterm contract+ top prospect for unsigned Nylander.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Right there you have a top4 RD on a beauty longterm contract+ top prospect for unsigned Nylander.

Unsigned is meaningless. The Canes have had considerable contact with Nylander's agent. They know exactly how much he is asking for and will not be trading for him unless they are in agreement with Nylander's contract demands. Nylander would either be signed before the trade or immediately after.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Unsigned is meaningless. The Canes have had considerable contact with Nylander's agent. They know exactly how much he is asking for and will not be trading for him unless they are in agreement with Nylander's contract demands. Nylander would either be signed before the trade or immediately after.

It does matter.
Leafs are having problems with signing him as everyone can easily see, which could lead to situation where Leafs have to trade him. This isn't the time where Nylanders trade value is at it's highest.

You're asking too much for him even when you tried to argue otherwise.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think two sleeper teams are the San Jose Sharks and Vegas.

San Jose just doesn't have the expendable assets. Merkeley+ doesn't do it. Braun+ is not even close. What are they trading?

Vegas I don't think would part with the assets required but it makes more sense than San Jose.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
It does matter.
Leafs are having problems with signing him as everyone can easily see, which could lead to situation where Leafs have to trade him. This isn't the time where Nylanders trade value is at it's highest.

This logic isn't applicable to an RFA.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With Darling being bad, I wonder if the Leafs could could some extra value out of Garret Sparks by swapping him with McBackup.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Watched Carolina's last 3 games..have to say their defense is crap and i wonder how is this possible if their defenders are as good as their fans are saying.. Lol at trading Slavin only for 2 players in the entire NHL.. Also Pesce.s value is inferior to Nylander.. Nylander Holl Brown for Pesce Necas + Roy

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
San Jose just doesn't have the expendable assets. Merkeley+ doesn't do it. Braun+ is not even close. What are they trading?

Vegas I don't think would part with the assets required but it makes more sense than San Jose.

Shark’s AHL team has the second highest win percentage and 3rd most pts in the league. Not to mention we are one of the few teams with an expendable top-4 defenseman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not at all. Leafs don't have to worry about the risk of losing him to another NHL team. If they can't have him then no one can.

That would be pretty ....ng stupid.

Make the team worse,
on Marners& Matthews last ELC year,
make the relationship with Nylander worse,
and hurt Nylanders development, hurt the team all around, now and longterm.

Really good plan.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Shark’s AHL team has the second highest win percentage and 3rd most pts in the league. Not to mention we are one of the few teams with an expendable top-4 defenseman.

Leafs AHL team was historically good last year. I think you could seriously take every player on that team and they wouldn't total to the value of Nylander, and that was an AHL team that was heavily influenced by prospects. A lot of AHL teams succeed on the back of vets. Name some names on this great AHL team that even comes close to Nylander.

Which one of Burns, Karlsson, or Vlasic are you putting on the table for Nylander. Because Braun might be expendable, but you're not getting Nylander for him no matter the pluses.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It does matter.

Leafs don't need to trade him. He can sit until a suitable offer is tendered. Leafs are not in danger of not making the playoffs and there might be a number of teams in the trade deadline looking to unload a contract and rebuild with a great forward that costs them nothing for this year.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009

Make the team worse,

Really good plan.

That doesn't really disprove my point. The Leafs have control of his rights for years still.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Make the team worse,

Really good plan.
Nylander has been given a decent offer. He want to get overpaid. Mounting his head on a wall sends a message to the RFA's that if an offer sheet isn't coming, you had better be reasonable or you forego salary until you do

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That doesn't really disprove my point. The Leafs have control of his rights for years still.

I can't help you if you don't see how stupid it would be to sit Nylander for a whole season.

Nylander has been given a decent offer. He want to get overpaid. Mounting his head on a wall sends a message to the RFA's that if an offer sheet isn't coming, you had better be reasonable or you forego salary until you do

I don't think we have any facts on what exactly Nylander is asking now and what Toronto has offered?

Reactions: McClelland

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Ya for sure.

The fact that you want Nylander so much (sending 3 scouts when the player is not even playing) and the Leafs unwillingness of trading him tells me you gotta overpay like Phil Kessel from BOS to TO overypay

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Leafs AHL team was historically good last year. I think you could seriously take every player on that team and they wouldn't total to the value of Nylander, and that was an AHL team that was heavily influenced by prospects. A lot of AHL teams succeed on the back of vets. Name some names on this great AHL team that even comes close to Nylander.

Which one of Burns, Karlsson, or Vlasic are you putting on the table for Nylander. Because Braun might be expendable, but you're not getting Nylander for him no matter the pluses.

Karlsson has in many ways made Vlasic sort of obsolete. His wife spends a good part of the year up in Canada as is. For the right price, we could definitely part with him. It’s not a 60pt winger though. You guys would definitely have to add.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The fact that you want Nylander so much (sending 3 scouts when the player is not even playing) and the Leafs unwillingness of trading him tells me you gotta overpay like Phil Kessel from BOS to TO overypay

I'm not a Carolina fan but you brought up Hamonic, and like Nylander is as valuable as Aho.

Sitting Nylander just makes life easier for us other Atlantic division team fans.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
To all the Canes fans, Would you trade an unsigned Sebastian Aho for Travis Hamonic straight up.

Cause that's what you are telling all Leafs fans.

Pretty much. Here is the thing - the Leafs could sign Nylander tomorrow. They could have signed him months ago. When they do their cap projections they feel that they can't sign him for as much as he is asking for. For other teams that would be different. If you are a team that would use him as a 1C or 2C then he is probably worth more to your team. That is how things work. The Canes have Pesce on the 3rd pairing, but no one on here is claiming that his value to the Leafs would be as a 3rd pairing D. Funny how that only works one way.

Reactions: Confucius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad