Speculation: Nylander XII - The Saga Continues (ALL NYLANDER DISCUSSION HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So he sits, and gets bitter and hopefully realizes he ****ed up, good for him. Wouldn't consider either of those packages trash, just the names that come to mind.

You think this whole debacle is going to impress Matthews and Marner, the two superior players who will need to be signed next year?

If this drags on and somehow willy doesn't have a deal next summer, we can't stop him from reporting to camp and we can't stop him from demanding a trade.

I think the absolute most I would give willy is 7.2 - it's a little rich but it factors in what he's accomplished and his potential, but really I want him in at like 6.8.

Hes unwilling to come in at less than 7 (but more than 6.5)...he's gone.
The Leafs are not tge Grinch, you can rest assured that they are offering a very fair market value contract. Matthews and Marner will also both be offered market value contracts.

And yes, when talking about Nylander, both those offeres were trash.

Reactions: Mork
Jul 10, 2003
KW
LOL absolutely what?

Virtanen is alright, I guess.

Gudbranson is a pylon.

Juolevi finally seems to have put it together, but he shoots left and between Rielly, Dermott and Sandin were crowded there. Who does he supplant there, because it sure as hell isn't Rielly and Dermott has an inside track.

Try take out Gudbranson and Juolevi and add Demko and a pick.

Willy + 3rd

For Virtanen, Demko and a 2nd.

...that's at least palatable, but another team would probably front a better offer.

Rare that the counter is much worse than the original offer.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
One of the TSN guys posted yesterday that they've heard he has come off of 8+, but not by much. I'd be surprised if he is as low as 7.5.

8+? Lol...good f***ing luck. Let him stay home with Daddy for the year, maybe his greedy Father will realize that this ain't the 90's.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
For a playoff team(later 1st round pick), especially a team that is near the top of the standings(picking 25-31), those picks would represent less of a loss than a lot of the players that have been proposed going other way in a deal with TOR. Offer sheet makes more sense. For TOR, a late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wouldn't be bad, but would have no certainty of having an NHL player, let alone an impact NHL player, and even there said player might not arrive for another 3-5 years, which i'm guessing would not be cool with TOR fans.

I think an offer sheet makes a ton of sense for teams like NSH, VGK, SJS, MN, WAS, MTL( assuming their present play isn't a mirage...getting Nylander would increase their odds of having a good season), etc..
The big challenge for most teams is clearing cap space, as most contending teams are at or near the cap.

I would be fine with my team, the Wild, tendering an offer sheet, but they simply don't have the cap room. The payback when Granlund's contract comes around would be a *****, also.
I agree that this would really put the Leafs in a tough spot. In that case they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

On the other hand, the offering team is off the hook if the Leafs match, and their only problem is to manage their own cap. Who has room and the team culture to absorb this without blowing up their own internal salary structure?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
how about 7.5 mil × 8? have a feeling nylander will be 80 point player minimum.
I don't think the Leafs can go there without screwing up their whole salary structure.

If Nylander would sign this elsewhere, it would be a very tough offer-sheet to match or not match.

Edit: I was thinking of a five-year contract at 7.5 here. I do know that only the Leafs could go to eight years.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't think the Leafs can go there without screwing up their whole salary structure.

If Nylander would sign this elsewhere, it would be a very tough offer-sheet to match or not match.
7.5 x 8 (even 7.5 x7) is 4 1sts remember, easy to walk away take the picks and look forward to drafting 8 times in the 1st round over the next 4 years.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
LOL absolutely what?

Virtanen is alright, I guess.

Gudbranson is a pylon.

Juolevi finally seems to have put it together, but he shoots left and between Rielly, Dermott and Sandin were crowded there. Who does he supplant there, because it sure as hell isn't Rielly and Dermott has an inside track.

Try take out Gudbranson and Juolevi and add Demko and a pick.

Willy + 3rd

For Virtanen, Demko and a 2nd.

...that's at least palatable, but another team would probably front a better offer.

Keep your crap. We'll keep ours.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
solution is sign marner to something like a 7-8mil contract for 5 years
The solution is never to expect to sign the better player for less money and take them right to a huge UFA payday, just because you inexplicably decide to overpay a lesser player when you don't have to.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
but 7.5 for nylander is a steal too if he puts up huge numbers which i think he will.

i agree marner is better by a fair margin (my favorite in the league) but if nylander needs to save face this is a half decent way to appease both parties.

edit: 7.5 for 6 years is an overpayment for sure but 8 but 7.5mil is debatable.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
but 7.5 for nylander is a steal too if he puts up huge numbers which i think he will.

i agree marner is better by a fair margin (my favorite in the league) but if nylander needs to save face this is a half decent way to appease both parties.

edit: 7.5 for 6 years is an overpayment for sure but 8 but 7.5mil is debatable.
If Nylander puts up huge numbers, great, he'll make a bunch in UFA. If he wanted that to affect his current contract, he should have done it last year.

You don't base contracts on "well let's sign it for no reason because maybe it turns into a "steal" if Nylander boosts his production by 33% under the same circumstances he's been in for 2 years". You base contracts on what they have done, and market comparables.

Why is Marner, the better player, going to sign for the same amount of money as Nylander? Why is Marner not going to expect the Leafs to hand him an extra mil for what-ifs, just like Nylander? Why are the Leafs risking Marner, the better player, to the FA market earlier than Nylander when they don't have to?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
7.5 x 8 (even 7.5 x7) is 4 1sts remember, easy to walk away take the picks and look forward to drafting 8 times in the 1st round over the next 4 years.
My bad. I was thinking of five-year terms at 7.5-8 as the problem area for the Leafs.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
If Nylander puts up huge numbers, great, he'll make a bunch in UFA. If he wanted that to affect his current contract, he should have done it last year.

You don't base contracts on "well let's sign it for no reason because maybe it turns into a "steal" if Nylander boosts his production by 33% under the same circumstances he's been in for 2 years". You base contracts on what they have done, and market comparables.

Why is Marner, the better player, going to sign for the same amount of money as Nylander? Why is Marner not going to expect the Leafs to hand him an extra mil for what-ifs, just like Nylander? Why are the Leafs risking Marner, the better player, to the FA market earlier than Nylander when they don't have to?

my approach would be different players have different needs, akin to a parent to children

edit: i would comprimise for the betterment of the team

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Took Michael long enough to come down from his ridic 8m+ demands.
If this is true (we don't really know that), it would have taken him much too long to realize his own value.

If he's been sitting on 8+, then he's poorly prepared, wasted time and cost himself time and money that he won't get back.

I would very much question the advice he's getting, if this is the case.

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad