News Article: Nylander voted Comeback Player of the Year in the PHWA's Midseason Awards

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Don't forget he also makes more than Pastrnak, even though it's a difference of $6.7 million for Pastrnak and $6.9 million for Nylander.
Never understood this. Pasta is scoring at a ppg 1.37 pace and makes 6.7M. Meanwhile Matthews is at 1.16 ppg making 11.6M, Marner is at 1.23 ppg making 10.9M, and JT is at .97 ppg. Making 11M Pastrnak's contract makes all of our top forwards contracts look bad and of course it does. He's vastly underpaid.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Never understood this. Pasta is scoring at a ppg 1.37 pace and makes 6.7M. Meanwhile Matthews is at 1.16 ppg making 11.6M, Marner is at 1.23 ppg making 10.9M, and JT is at .97 ppg. Making 11M Pastrnak's contract makes all of our top forwards contracts look bad and of course it does. He's vastly underpaid.
Pastrnak signed his contract on September 14, 2017 which was after the 2016-17 season when he got 34 Goals, 36 Assists and 70 Points. Did anyone expect him to score as many goals since he signed that contract? So who cares that he's underpaid because it's a contract he still agreed to and who cares that Nylander makes $6.9 million which is only $200,000 more.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Pastrnak signed his contract on September 14, 2017 which was after the 2016-17 season when he got 34 Goals, 36 Assists and 70 Points. Did anyone expect him to score as many goals since he signed that contract? So who cares that he's underpaid because it's a contract he still agreed to and who cares that Nylander makes $6.9 million which is only $200,000 more.
Pasta had 26 and 27 points in each of the two seasons before that breakout for 70 points. He took the long term security over more $ and rightly so. Nylander was coming off back-to-back 60 point seasons when he signed his.

Just because Pasta got ridiculously better doesn't mean Nylanders deal is bad value.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pasta had 26 and 27 points in each of the two seasons before that breakout for 70 points. He took the long term security over more $ and rightly so. Nylander was coming off back-to-back 60 point seasons when he signed his.

Just because Pasta got ridiculously better doesn't mean Nylanders deal is bad value.
I never said Nylander's contract is bad value. I just think people shouldn't complain that Pastrnak is underpaid because of how he's able to score goals today and saying Nylander is overpaid.

I have said before if Pastrnak is overpaid what about Nikita Kucherov because you would think he should be making more than $9.5 million AAV from Tampa Bay. He signed his contract extension after scoring 100 points in the 2018 season and 1 year before he could have become a UFA. However it was last season when he had 41 Goals, 87 Assists and 128 Points, along with winning the Hart Trophy, Art Ross Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award. So in hindsight he should have waited to sign a new contract because can you imagine him becoming a UFA after a season like that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I never said Nylander's contract is bad value. I just think people shouldn't complain that Pastrnak is underpaid because of how he's able to score goals today and saying Nylander is overpaid.

I have said before if Pastrnak is overpaid what about Nikita Kucherov because you would think he should be making more than $9.5 million AAV from Tampa Bay. He signed his contract extension after scoring 100 points in the 2018 season and 1 year before he could have become a UFA. However it was last season when he had 41 Goals, 87 Assists and 128 Points, along with winning the Hart Trophy, Art Ross Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award. So in hindsight he should have waited to sign a new contract because can you imagine him becoming a UFA after a season like that.
I was agreeing with you lol Sorry I should have quoted the other guy.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Mike Johnston is the best in the business when it comes to analysis and as a color commentator. He's an NHL All-Star compared to Greg Millen's ECHL grinder. He's on point almost every time I listen to him. Even when I don't agree, he's got that way of cutting through the narratives along with his rational thought process that you just have to respect his position. It was a great listen.

However, I have no idea why Dreger gets so much vitriol over his part in it. He did relay a ridiculous position of an anonymous GM, but my read from his tone of voice was more that it was that it was curiosa, not quite incredulity but more of a 'and then there are people taking this position.' Outside that, he was agreeing with Mike and chiming in positively, pointing out that he had Nylander as a top 50 player.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Why eat crow now when you can just wait for Nylander to go pointless in three games and then come out of the woodworks?

Anyway congrats to Willy. He's having a great season and has become a real reliable player for us. Gotta give some credit to JT as well as they've really clicked. Once JT starts burying glorious opportunities again those two could really take off.

Good point, that's likely exactly what is going to happen.

Agree with the second part as well.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Mike Johnston is the best in the business when it comes to analysis and as a color commentator. He's an NHL All-Star compared to Greg Millen's ECHL grinder. He's on point almost every time I listen to him. Even when I don't agree, he's got that way of cutting through the narratives along with his rational thought process that you just have to respect his position. It was a great listen.

However, I have no idea why Dreger gets so much vitriol over his part in it. He did relay a ridiculous position of an anonymous GM, but my read from his tone of voice was more that it was that it was curiosa, not quite incredulity but more of a 'and then there are people taking this position.' Outside that, he was agreeing with Mike and chiming in positively, pointing out that he had Nylander as a top 50 player.
All you want from a colour guy is they make you think and offer compelling observations. He and Ray are the best in the business. You want to learn things from guys who’ve played and can articulate concepts. That’s why Millen is so appalling, his pedestrian nothingness is embarrassing.

Johnston is fantastic.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Funny how Pasternak is always the only contract that people deem "comparable".

Comes down to 2 options:
  1. Either those who use only Pasternak as a comparable think extremely highly of Nylander (Compares to Pasternak).
  2. They are purposely avoiding the actual contract comparables.
Can't have it both ways.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
There are going to be some very disappointed "fans" that we didn't give him away last year for pennies on the dollar.

Too bad, so sad, what else can you do???

As a fan who cheers for the Leafs, I'm glad to see Nylander rebound and doing well. Is he perfect? Nope. Did I love how his contract negotiation went? Nope..... but he's a Leaf with talent, who is locked up, and I believe he will provide good-great value on his contract for years to come.

For us to be successful, Nylander is a critical player for us to have performing well and I am happy to see that he is doing well this season. May it be the first of many!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is weird here I know- black and white absolution is king- but I submit you can argue Willie is earning his contract now AND that Dubas over paid at the time.

It was all about leverage and term, RFA’s, signing bonuses, team friendly, setting the stage for the other two “big 3” and I see no reason to waiver in my view Dubas got bent over by the Nylander camp.

Sitting here today, of course the number makes sense relative to production, impact, perhaps even greater upside. Nobody can complain and really no one is...but spare me the revisionism because I recall exactly the debates and there was a nary a soul who predicted that hit at that term.

I’m enjoying his game this year, it’s been fun, he’s dynamic, exciting and explosive. What hockey fan isn’t happy, what Leafs fan doesn’t enjoy his play this year? Reminds me when he first came up and was such a breath of fresh air, a light amongst a rotten team.

I agree we need to stop fixating on contracts, just don’t try to revisit past realities with today’s perspective.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
This is weird here I know- black and white absolution is king- but I submit you can argue Willie is earning his contract now AND that Dubas over paid at the time.

It was all about leverage and term, RFA’s, signing bonuses, team friendly, setting the stage for the other two “big 3” and I see no reason to waiver in my view Dubas got bent over by the Nylander camp.

Sitting here today, of course the number makes sense relative to production, impact, perhaps even greater upside. Nobody can complain and really no one is...but spare me the revisionism because I recall exactly the debates and there was a nary a soul who predicted that hit at that term.

I’m enjoying his game this year, it’s been fun, he’s dynamic, exciting and explosive. What hockey fan isn’t happy, what Leafs fan doesn’t enjoy his play this year? Reminds me when he first came up and was such a breath of fresh air, a light amongst a rotten team.

I agree we need to stop fixating on contracts, just don’t try to revisit past realities with today’s perspective.
Most contracts are signed with the future in mind though. Makes complete sense to factor that into the evaluation of a contract.

Reactions: Hugh Jass

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Most contracts are signed with the future in mind though. Makes complete sense to factor that into the evaluation of a contract.
Actually every contract is...So why didn’t anyone project that number with that term then?

Anyways, tired debates...

Reactions: Stamkos4life

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
good for Willy and i don't think anyone will benefit more from Babs being fired than him

Babs loved f***ing with this kid endlessly and good on him for fighting through it and having his best season so far .

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
good for Willy and i don't think anyone will benefit more from Babs being fired than him

Babs loved ****ing with this kid endlessly and good on him for fighting through it and having his best season so far .
One of the biggest things, Keefe has made him the JVR on the PP.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The hilarious thing is that Dreger is implying the Kessel comparison (a 90 point, two times Stanley Cup winner) as an insult lol. What a clown, MJ deserves a beer for that pretty savage take down during that segment

I'll never understand why Mike Johnson isn't considered as a top tier analyst in hockey. It feels like you barely see him on TV when he should be part of any main stay analyst groups for a network.

He was excellent in that segment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad