News Article: Nylander voted Comeback Player of the Year in the PHWA's Midseason Awards

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's a tough one. I personally cant think of 50 better players than Nylander. Assuming we have 32 dmen that are #1 or #2, we get a bit of a problem.
Tsn top 50 ranking had only 7 dmen. If one were to be objective on skill alone, a Nylander trade with a #2 would degrade the skill of the team. Without considerable add such a cap differential, it does zero to help the team right now. Team would overpay from a roster skill perspective.
I think Willie is stuck in between the Franchise player and an elite player.
To me those are the hardest to get fair value.
Let’s not consider caphit, how many Dman would we think it is fair for a straight up Willie deal, I don’t think that number would hit 40. Which says a lot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That was the sentiment by some around hockey media, who are there to drive viewership and controversy, not be accurate.

The problem is, is that some folks take one or two one off quotes from anonymous sources and then claim that those outliers represent the "majority" opinions of a player.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Even the narrative that Nylander doesn't show up in the playoffs is overblown. Last 3 years he is tied for the Leafs lead in scoring 5v5.

He somehow is also a plus player over that three year stretch while Matthews, Marner, Tavavres, Bozak, Hyman all are well below.

Granten Nylander didn't have the tougheat assignments but he still was winning the in game wars he was asked to.

I don't care for plus/minus unless compared inside your own team, knowing there are a tonne of factors that go along with it.

Now that I am back on topic, he hasn't been tge trainwreck that most would say he has been.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even the narrative that Nylander doesn't show up in the playoffs is overblown. Last 3 years he is tied for the Leafs lead in scoring 5v5.

He somehow is also a plus player over that three year stretch while Matthews, Marner, Tavavres, Bozak, Hyman all are well below.

Granten Nylander didn't have the tougheat assignments but he still was winning the in game wars he was asked to.

I don't care for plus/minus unless compared inside your own team, knowing there are a tonne of factors that go along with it.

Now that I am back on topic, he hasn't been tge trainwreck that most would say he has been.
In last years playoffs he had that breakaway goal in Game 1 against Boston to make it a 4-1 lead, so I found it weird how Kelly Hrudey bashed him for a bad play he made in another game of that series.

Reactions: stickty111

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
Most contracts are signed with the future in mind though. Makes complete sense to factor that into the evaluation of a contract.

I'm not saying anything groundbreaking here, but it looks like his contract will be a bargain in 2 years. If he keeps up this level of play.
I would still trade him for a top 3 dman with term, especially now. This would be the most valuable hes ever been. I think with our cap situation, that's the best option. Just my 2 cents.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Why do you think he won this award?
Seems this validates those who weren't happy with his season last year if anything.
That's one way of looking at it but shouldn't the more appropriate validation be reserved for those who realized he was struggling last year but still believed in him to turn it around especially in the face of so much criticism. Including our own GM.

In fact many of the harsh critics last year wanted him traded and some still do. Would have been a disastrous decision with his value so low. Just goes to show how terrible a GM these people would make. Yet they are usually the first to throw stones at the current GM.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I wonder what nylander's stats this year look like with Matthew's vs with tavares as his center.

Seems like he is scoring a lot more goals playing with JT.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Guys. Hes overpaid. There is no coming back from that. Forgot a potential 40 goal season. Hes been labelled. We just need to move on with his albatross contract.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Guys. Hes overpaid. There is no coming back from that. Forgot a potential 40 goal season. Hes been labelled. We just need to move on with his albatross contract.

It's still wrong to pay a guy for what you hope he's going to be one day and over his most recent comparables.

It's wrong for an NHL executive like Dubas to change the format on how a player's salary is judged from real to hopeful hypothetical "projection".

It's great it looks like it's going to be a good contract. It doesn't make the rationale behind it any less right.

In reverse, if he was a 110 point player who got a very "deserved, non controversial" contract of 13 million $...and came out and stunk it up this year...would it have been wrong? No, everyone would say he scored 130 points and of course it made all the sense at the time to give him 13 million.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's still wrong to pay a guy for what you hope he's going to be one day and over his most recent comparables.

It's wrong for an NHL executive like Dubas to change the format on how a player's salary is judged from real to hopeful hypothetical "projection".

It's great it looks like it's going to be a good contract. It doesn't make the rationale behind it any less right.

In reverse, if he was a 110 point player who got a very "deserved, non controversial" contract of 13 million $...and came out and stunk it up this year...would it have been wrong? No, everyone would say he scored 130 points and of course it made all the sense at the time to give him 13 million.

Bluechip rfas have always gotten potential factored into their contracts.....

Theres nothing unique about Nylanders contract

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He was paid in proportion to his closest comparables. People just for some reason want to pick and choose those comparables, like looking at only the best contract (Ehlers) or the superstar that exploded after signing (Pastrnak).

He was a two-time 60 point RFA, and that was what he was paid like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->