News Article: Nylander voted Comeback Player of the Year in the PHWA's Midseason Awards

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
you're supposed to ignore what was said before the deal was signed just like it would take peanuts to dump Marleau until Dubas coughed up a 1st
Nobody predicted that number with a lower term, given that I find everything now revisionism. Marner is earning his freight too, still an over payment to me. It lowers the negatives, but it doesn’t change the context at the time.

Anyways, I’ll puke if I hear Pasta one more time ;)

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t know if I’d call Nylander the comeback of the year.
He had a 2 month holdout and tough season last year but it’s not like he was bounced around 3 different teams, struggled for 2/3 seasons, suffered a major injury and then got it together.
He’s been in the league 4 years, 3 out of 4 have been fine.
But regardless, good on him.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
you're supposed to ignore what was said before the deal was signed just like it would take peanuts to dump Marleau until Dubas coughed up a 1st
I think you mean just like until Marleau suddenly decided that he would only play for one team, that not only couldn't afford him, but didn't even want him at all at league minimum until they sucked and couldn't score to start the year, which meant that it was trading 6.25 mil in dead cap and 4.25 mil in dead actual money to a select few teams with salary restrictions, instead of 6.25 mil in cap for an actual player, and 1.25 mil in actual salary to a much bigger pool of teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why do people act like signing bonuses are unqiue to the Leafs?

They're incredibly common...
I think that Kyle Dubas is the first GM to use it as an advantage.

It's no different than Steve Yzerman when he was the Lighting GM using their no state tax advantage to sign UFA's and I know he tried that when he meet with John Tavares.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This award means nothing to me in terms of quality of player. He was always a young star coming off a ELC with projections from his play that indicated he would possibly get to the player he is showing this season.

I actually think he will get better than he is now in multiple aspects of his game. However! This is a big however too. Keefe is not utilizing Nylander anywhere near enough on controlled zone entries the way he is capable of doing.

That said, zone entries with speed entering the ozone are a area Keefe needs to implement more as opportunities . The drop pass is dominating and diminishing the flow of our group quite a bit to much.

Nylander just happens to be one of the very best in the league at carrying the puck in to the offensive zone. Marner likely is doing less of it also. We need to start seeing adjustments from keefe’s system to extract the very best from certain players.

Nylander is and always was going to earn this contract. More than that he likely will become a very cap efficient contract in just two years from now. Great player and growing better with expierence. The entire team is basically still inexperienced

The decision to exert pressure on the team to win was a ploy by the media covering this team. Complete ignorance and intentionally tagging the win now label was in-their interest as a way to spin this team in a negative light. Let me just say, i see nothing Negative about this team going forward. Every team including veteran championship teams need improvement. This team is no different and do i ever feel fortunate to have a team of this quality at such a young group!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just love it how nobody is saying let’s trade Willie for a 2nd pairing Dman, need to give to get, take a step back is to take a step forward.....

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh I agree, which is why overwhelming sentiment around the league was an overpayment. The debates here, just that.
That was the sentiment by some around hockey media, who are there to drive viewership and controversy, not be accurate.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That was the sentiment by some around hockey media, who are there to drive viewership and controversy, not be accurate.
Tired of this stuff, other GM’s and agents asked. Now what, it wasn’t on the record? And on and on, never penetrates the constructs. Nobody predicted he would extract that money at that term. I’m out bro!

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
What are the PHWA's?

Pro Hockey Writers Association.

They are the ones who vote on the actual year end awards.

Edit: They vote on these:
  • The Hart Memorial Trophy
  • James Norris Memorial Trophy
  • Calder Memorial Trophy
  • Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
  • Frank J. Selke Trophy
  • Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy
  • King Clancy Trophy

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think that Kyle Dubas is the first GM to use it as an advantage.

It's no different than Steve Yzerman when he was the Lighting GM using their no state tax advantage to sign UFA's and I know he tried that when he meet with John Tavares.
To be fair though, How many teams can just afford to hand out $15M July 1st every year, nevermind to 3 different players.

Habs thought that kind of set up would cripple the Canes and gift them Aho, so I doubt many teams could afford to do what we do.

The added bonus is that Tavares averages just $6.5M in the last 3 years of the deal. So if both sides ever decide to move on it's really easy to deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To be fair though, How many teams can just afford to hand out $15M July 1st every year, nevermind to 3 different players.

Habs thought that kind of set up would cripple the Canes and gift them Aho, so I doubt many teams could afford to do what we do.

The added bonus is that Tavares averages just $6.5M in the last 3 years of the deal. So if both sides ever decide to move on it's really easy to deal.
I'm sure the New York Rangers would be able to do something like that.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I'm sure the New York Rangers would be able to do something like that.

Leafs, Habs, Sharks, Lightning, Kings, Golden Knights, Stars, Predators, Oilers, Hurricanes and Rangers all have one or more players with 8M+ signing bonuses this/next season.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nobody predicted he would extract that money at that term.
Except for the people that predicted that exact money and term...

Regardless of what predictions were anyway, reality is his production dictates that amount, based on his comparables.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just love it how nobody is saying let’s trade Willie for a 2nd pairing Dman, need to give to get, take a step back is to take a step forward.....
It's a tough one. I personally cant think of 50 better players than Nylander. Assuming we have 32 dmen that are #1 or #2, we get a bit of a problem.
Tsn top 50 ranking had only 7 dmen. If one were to be objective on skill alone, a Nylander trade with a #2 would degrade the skill of the team. Without considerable add such a cap differential, it does zero to help the team right now. Team would overpay from a roster skill perspective.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs, Habs, Sharks, Lightning, Kings, Golden Knights, Stars, Predators, Oilers, Hurricanes and Rangers all have one or more players with 8M+ signing bonuses this/next season.
I was just looking at CapFriendly and going into next season besides his $10.5 million AAV, Carey Price is due a $8.75 million bonus.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They were whining McDavid didn’t win this lol. Masterson trophy is available for just what he went through. When he is the highest paid in the game he has to put up points to a high standard. They wanted to give him this award Willy took also. Sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad