News Article: Nylander voted Comeback Player of the Year in the PHWA's Midseason Awards

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Coaching, opportunity, preparedness.

This seems just like a normal year for him, just with more experience and maturity from his 1st. full seasons.

Anyone who has watched hockey could see he was talented.

Its the standard devopment curve of a player - they matured and got better gradually improved with age as they entered the cusp of his prime.

This season is why im happy to have people in charge of the team willing to think longer term and believe in the player. I still cringe at thinking at the amount of "trade him" propsoals that scatter these boards the last couple years.

Few on this team have benefited as much from having a coach who trusts him as Nylander (Holl being the main other)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Is that not the point of the award? He was not good last year. No point sugar coating it. He looks great now. The real issue is that people around here are unwilling to address their own bad takes that it was all a function of bad luck. Only somebody who is willfully blind would claim that his game hasnt improved significantly.
The point of the award is that he's great this year. That individual mentioned nothing about his play this year and instead talked about how bad he was last year, which is a bit odd. Then to say he wasn't being negative at all is very odd

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
C'mon man, pay attention. All we heard last year was "Nylander shouldn't be making more than Pastrnak", "Nylander should be making Ehlers money", "Nylander is almost a million overpaid", "Melander", "Greedlander", etc. And that continued into the beginning of this year, where he has proceeded to shut (most) everyone up.
So it’s no longer an issue? That’s what I said

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought it was just luck turning around year?

Good on you Willie, you’ve been a treat to watch!!!

Also hilarious how the obtuse don’t understand what “comeback” implies. Man.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Checks to see how many backhanded compliments there has been in this thread. Not bad good on his regression to the mean was only a matter of time.

I just wish the guy would go into corner and and to the net or whatever lazy narrative is left about him. lol

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That was more so Andi getting dunked on for 10 minutes. Dregs kinda just rode onto MJ's opinion and added in side comments from a GM he spoke too. Andi kept interjecting with really dumb statements.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
People really got to just let the contract stuff go (and this goes beyond Nylander).
No they don’t. Those contracts are the root of all problems with the team.

It’s like saying during the Burke years “Just gotta let the Kessel trade go.” Or during the Ferguson years “Sure. We’ve had like 2 1st round picks over the last ten years. But just let it go.” Or with the Jays a few years ago “Sure, we have no pitching depth. But just let it go.”

How can we let it the f*** go? It’s the SPECIFIC problem facing the team.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
No they don’t. Those contracts are the root of all problems with the team.

It’s like saying during the Burke years “Just gotta let the Kessel trade go.” Or during the Ferguson years “Sure. We’ve had like 2 1st round picks over the last ten years. But just let it go.” Or with the Jays a few years ago “Sure, we have no pitching depth. But just let it go.”

How can we let it the **** go? It’s the SPECIFIC problem facing the team.

It's literally not. And those examples aren't remotely the same. For example, the Kessel trade? You could still have fixed the issue by rebuilding the team the proper way. But nope, Burke was focused on rebuilding quickly. Hence, no quality centers or defensemen or goaltenders.

With the current team, you're literally complaining about giving our star core players an extra 3-4 million per year IN TOTAL. That problem is EASILY solvable IF we get into any issues. People around the forum have consistently shown everyone here mock lineups that show we can easily afford this team.

It's the beauty of developing players in-house, something I guess some folks here aren't too familiar/fond of because we've been garbage at it since all of time before 2015. When the time arises, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Ceci will all be gone one by one and replaced by the likes of Mikheyev, Engvall, Bracco, Korkshov, Timashov, Brooks, Sandin, Lilijegren, etc. And once those guys needs pay increases, THOSE guys will be ALSO replaced by the likes of Roberston, SDA, Hollowell, etc. Continuous cycle.

It's a complete myth that we're in 'cap-hell'. 'Cap-hell' is when you have a bunch of unmovable contracts given to garbage or old players. We have ZERO of those.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Most impressed by his sniperskill this year. He should shoot even more. Tavares is a great reboundhound. Best thing is Nylander seems really happy on the ice.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
That was more so Andi getting dunked on for 10 minutes. Dregs kinda just rode onto MJ's opinion and added in side comments from a GM he spoke too. Andi kept interjecting with really dumb statements.

Dregs is as much as a hack as Andi, and in this instance he clearly inserted a fake story to stir the pot. If there is a GM in the league who would take Kapanen over Nylander then the bar to be an NHL GM is the lowest in professional sports.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Dregs is as much as a hack as Andi, and in this instance he clearly inserted a fake story to stir the pot. If there is a GM in the league who would take Kapanen over Nylander then the bar to be an NHL GM is the lowest in professional sports.
I'd be calling Dreger if I were Dubas to find out who that GM was...Willy would bring a nice return,so therefore if he values Kappy more,then let's hear the offer! But,I bet Dreger is full of it!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'd be calling Dreger if I were Dubas to find out who that GM was...Willy would bring a nice return,so therefore if he values Kappy more,then let's hear the offer! But,I bet Dreger is full of it!

I would almost bet my life savings that Dreger made that story up, unless the GM is Lou, which would probably fit a bitter narrative.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I would almost bet my life savings that Dreger made that story up, unless the GM is Lou, which would probably fit a bitter narrative.
Yeah...I doubt any GM would tell Dreger the truth about anything. I don't take him seriously,why would any GM be influenced by his opinion?He should retire.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Good for Nylander.

I was pretty confident he would come back this year and be the player some on here knew he could be.

As OP said, there should be plenty of posters eating crow on this one, but I'm sure they won't be anywhere near this topic or come up with some reason why he doesn't deserve it.

Why eat crow now when you can just wait for Nylander to go pointless in three games and then come out of the woodworks?

Anyway congrats to Willy. He's having a great season and has become a real reliable player for us. Gotta give some credit to JT as well as they've really clicked. Once JT starts burying glorious opportunities again those two could really take off.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Well let's put it this way. If that GM does exist we should be trading Kapanen to that team immediately. That would infer that that GM thinks Kapanen is an elite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad