News Article: Nylander voted Comeback Player of the Year in the PHWA's Midseason Awards

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hard to imagine there were some who bashed him, wanted to trade him, made incorrect statements about his style of play, and ignored countless signs that this is exactly what he would do this year.

Hard to imagine also that people completely ignored all of his flaws.

I both praise and complain about him. What I don't get is those who pick a side and never leave it.

Nylander can play amazing one game and deserve a ton of respect and then have a game where he is disinterested in battling for the puck. His display in games 6 and 7 of the Boston series last year were disgusting.

However this year he is fighting for the puck and going to the right area's and he looks amazing.

Same with Matthews. These guys can be elite and when they are, deserve all the love. But when they suck for games on end, there is nothing wrong with calling it out.

Reactions: therealkoho

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I think his 'comeback' is a little overstated.

He had about 19 games last year that were bad, where he had 3 points, and then after that was back to playing at a 56 point pace, and was one of our better players in the playoffs. His on-ice Sh% was incredibly low, he was generating chances for himself & teammates at similar rates to the rest of his career, it was more or less poor luck in a smaller than normal sample.

I do agree that his play in 19/20 is improved over what we saw in 16-19...but the notion that he was utter **** last year is, well, utter ****. As a goal scorer he has definitely improved, but overall, what we've essentially seen is a) he's playing with Matthews or Tavares, not Marleau & Brown, b) his shooting % and teammates shooting % is regressing back to normal values.

I also felt he was generating chances but he had no finish last year. He didn't really come around until March so that tells a lot of the story. He was also playing on the third line and 2 PP unit, that certainly does not help.

Absolutely no reason for him to be on 2nd PP unit, Babcock suppressed Nylander. It seems like Keefe knows how to push the right buttons and get the most out of Willy, all while putting him positions to succeed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
These guys can be elite and when they are, deserve all the love. But when they suck for games on end, there is nothing wrong with calling it out.
Or you can recognize that all players go through hot and cold stretches, both in production and play, and that there are external factors that affect this and how we perceive players.

The problem is, 95% of the people on this board are horrible at properly evaluating the play of players within the context of their situations. So what we actually get are a bunch of people saying things, making claims, and making assumptions that aren't true, and making suggestions that would significantly negatively affect the team moving forward.

Reactions: Menzinger

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Awesome to see him get some recognition for his play. It was never going to be easy last year coming into the season that far behind all your peers. Love that he is back on track!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Personally I think it highlights how little opportunity he was given last year to get going but people are free to express their opinions.

In the past, Nylander was perceived as a perimeter player, but not anymore. He has scored the second-most inner-slot goals in the NHL this season as Keefe has moved him to the net-front spot on the power play.

Coaching, opportunity, preparedness.

This seems just like a normal year for him, just with more experience and maturity from his 1st. full seasons.

Anyone who has watched hockey could see he was talented.

Reactions: Menzinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A late start to a season can be tough to fully come back from sometimes. I agree that this nod is appropriate. Kudos to Nylander.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I hope Nylander carries his good play into and throughout the playoffs. That's the data we don't have at this point, but is the real key imho.

Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Great work by Nylander. This really highlights the people who thought he is the worst player that ever existed, and a bad team guy. Sadly thats still not in the past as shown in this thread.

Reactions: stopclickbait

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Up until the season started it felt like people never shut up about it. It was mostly the main board but there definitely some Leafs fans too. Mostly just the "I hate everything about Dubas" cult.
There are still some people on the main board who complain about Nylander making more than Pastrnak.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good for Nylander.

I was pretty confident he would come back this year and be the player some on here knew he could be.

As OP said, there should be plenty of posters eating crow on this one, but I'm sure they won't be anywhere near this topic or come up with some reason why he doesn't deserve it.
Yup. It's tough to believe there weren't fans last year who said he is a terrible player, and the reason why we struggled in the 2nd half.
Nylander deserves all the credit for playing and producing to what he is capable of.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Up until the season started it felt like people never shut up about it. It was mostly the main board but there definitely some Leafs fans too. Mostly just the "I hate everything about Dubas" cult.
Yeah, more an issue with Dubas than Nylander there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pasta is on arguably the best contract in the league. The Bruins got really, really lucky with that one. Among some of their other deals.
No one forced Pastrnak to sign that contract when he did and if things were different and he needed a new contract, I'm sure he would want more than the $6.7 million he's currently making. So I don't care when Brad Marchand says players on Boston don't mind making less on team friendly contracts, because it's easy to say now when their contracts are not about to expire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00