• 36-45 points

• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Zero chance. Leafs will match any OS that comes but I doubt any come. Willie will be tradeable even if he sh1ts the bed for the rest of the year. The Canes love this guy and think he is part of the solution to their scoring problems.
my only question is why?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If he gets traded he will tear it up on the other team. Thats not a fact , thats a rule of life.
Could be. But chances are here splitting between 1st and 3rd line, always behind Matthews/Marner/Tavares and last night even Kapanen, 2nd fiddle PP, he won’t here.

Top line center somewhere as the big dog, could be. If we get a top 4 D will that player have a much greater chance of being deployed in every situation for us? PP, PK, last minute of the game, big dog along with Rielly?

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I could care less, he's not working here, get something for him, bank the savings, and move on.

Yep. As I have been saying the biggest return we can get for Willie is the cap savings. It'll allow us to keep a very good player, or players, that would otherwise have to walk.

Trade him to Philly for Simmonds and futures. Use the cap savings to resign our own guys that would have otherwise walked ie some combination of Gardiner, Kappy, AJ. Get a first round pick back to boot.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yep. As I have been saying the biggest return we can get for Willie is the cap savings. It'll allow us to keep a very good player, or players, that would otherwise have to walk.

Trade him to Philly for Simmonds and futures. Use the cap savings to resign our own guys that would have otherwise walked ie some combination of Gardiner, Kappy, AJ. Get a first round pick back to boot.
I can't picture the Flyers wanting him, and could you imagine how his non contact game would be received by the Philly fans?

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Good for Willie and who ever trades for him. Trades are meant to help both parties.

Yep. He'll get traded to a terrible team who will play him 20 plus minutes and give him #1 PP time in spite of his weaknesses. He'll pace to 60-80 points, won't win a thing, and likely be moved at the end of his contract as the terrible team retools again. Willie will likely play for 4-5 teams minimum by the time his career is done.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The trouble Nith when you pay a player 7 million dollars, I expect him to be used in all Johnny Hockey,Tarasenko,Pastrnak,etc. Situations.

Up and down between 1st line-3rd line, 2nd PP unit, not one of the guys in the last minute is not a 7 million cap hit. When JT was signed you basically kicked him down the depth chart. To the extent that he may never achieve the totals he would as a 1st/2nd line center. Whereas a top 4 D would instantly kick up the lineup moving the others down (rightfully so as depth).
His overall impact is right in line with guys that gets that cap hit%. If he was getting a bigger role than that, he'd be worth more.

I wouldn't mind trading him for a d-man if we can get something similar back. But settling for a big downgrade just because it fits a temporary need would be a big mistake, in my opinion.

RLF

May 5, 2014
But I heard we were 3rd in puck possession since WN returned and we have been dominant. Your numbers make no sense. What is your agenda ? :sarcasm:

Yes, I have just about had enough of the "stats" stuff. It is almost always applied without context or any thought into why they have declined or improved...not according to actual play on ice anyhow. So easy to make them suit an agenda if you are cherry picking enough.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
His perceived worth is going down right now by the day. How could it not be? Performance is the measurement of pay.
Based on what leaf fans keep telling me, zone entries are the most important part of hockey. He may not score. The team may always lose when he plays. But he has good ZONE ENTRIES. Teams will give up MAJOR assets for him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Based on what leaf fans keep telling me, zone entries are the most important part of hockey. He may not score. The team may always lose when he plays. But he has good ZONE ENTRIES. Teams will give up MAJOR assets for him.
I've noticed a significant drop in the "Stat Nerd's" replies lately. I think even they are realizing the eye test is making spewing cherry picked stats a embarrassing proposition.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've noticed a significant drop in the "Stat Nerd's" replies lately. I think even they are realizing the eye test is making spewing cherry picked stats a embarrassing proposition.
I don't think you understand what cherry picked means.

People are probably just tired of trying to argue with toxic posters who don't listen anyway, and who seem way too pleased to see a player on their team struggling.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

People are probably just tired of trying to argue with toxic posters who don't listen anyway, and who seem way too pleased to see a player on their team struggling.

Theres no argument. Nylander has been garbage. Anyone that says otherwise, while using zone entry and possession stats, is just kidding themselves.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Given his struggles and mutual team needs could a Nylander to EDM trade work out? The cap would be hard to make work but could Nurse + Pulju + picks/prospects benefit both teams?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Theres no argument. Nylander has been garbage. Anyone that says otherwise, while using zone entry and possession stats, is just kidding themselves.
Absolutely. You can't be expected to be a top producer and not be garbage if you get 3 points in 16 games.

The question is how garbage he's been, and how worried we should be for the future. All I'm arguing is that the points aren't a perfect representation of his game so far, and that there's plenty of signs to be optimistic that he can at least go back to being the guy he was before this season.

He's set up teammates for shots more than 95% of the league. Would he have played much better if a bunch of those shots had resulted in cheap goals, and he had 9 points instead of 3? Not really. I think you'd agree with me on that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Given his struggles and mutual team needs could a Nylander to EDM trade work out? The cap would be hard to make work but could Nurse + Pulju + picks/prospects benefit both teams?
highly unlikely, but to make it affordable it'd have to be a expanded trade, adding Talbot coming our way, Sparks going their way and other pieces involved. Almost impossible to get and give a package that both teams would be happy with imo.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It's also impossible to argue with advanced stats "nerds" because they think that their advanced stats are gospel. Willy is fair game to criticize. He wanted a big payday, he sat out 2 months, now he got it and not performing. He needs to up his game a couple of notches, at least.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
oh dear, I think your going to be labelled "toxic"............
Quite ironic to see that post after I had already written @HouseofBuggins a respectful response. You see, he knows that you can discuss and criticize without being toxic about it or gloating about the misfortunes of our own players.

It's also impossible to argue with advanced stats "nerds" because they think that their advanced stats are gospel. Willy is fair game to criticize. He wanted a big payday, he sat out 2 months, now he got it and not performing. He needs to up his game a couple of notches, at least.
One of those things I've always heard, but almost never seen in practice. As I see it, it often becomes one poster with an opinion backed up by tangible evidence, and another poster who backs it up with anecdotal evidence.

In the other thread I discussed with someone about stretch passes from Gardiner. I use tangible evidence to show that he's actually been very good at it, he argues differently. I'm likely not going to buy his arguments when he's basically just saying that he doesn't agree and sees things differently. I might if he argues that such a stat might not always be an accurate representation, and backs it up with a number of good pieces of video evidence. But hey, who honestly has the energy for that?

He most certainly needs to be better. Was good in the offensive zone last night, but did not like the rest of his game.

Last edited:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
oh dear, I think your going to be labelled "toxic"............

He argued hard with me that Marner was not a better player and did not deserve more money. This was some 10-15 games into this season. I argued Marner had already separated himself huge starting last Christmas when he became a PPG player, #1 PP guy, and a PK'er. I further argued Marneer would continue to seperate himself and go into negotiations asking for and deserving way more money than WN. He peered down his nose and called me toxic and said it was just because "Nylander isn't a good Ontario boy".

Now he ignores me. :thumbu:

He should really just stop posting about Nylander. Have some shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad