Speculation: Nylander IX - All Nylander Discussions HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If the rumors are true what dubas wanted to sign him for he (4yrs,20m) should have folded his tent long ago.

Leafs fans would be happy if he signs what he is worth (ehlers\pasta type deals) and Dubas has been trying to chisel him down to take a couple million less than that in the name of "winning". Nylander and his agent are having none of it.

LOL

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If the rumors are true what dubas wanted to sign him for he (4yrs,20m) should have folded his tent long ago.

Leafs fans would be happy if he signs what he is worth (ehlers\pasta type deals) and Dubas has been trying to chisel him down to take a couple million less than that in the name of "winning". Nylander and his agent are having none of it.
We don't actually know this. The only real comments from either side has been Dubas not wanting to set "historical deals" and Shanny's comments - which have really been stretched and taken out of context (he never states or suggests that Nylander should take a discount, AFAIK).

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We don't actually know this. The only real comments from either side has been Dubas not wanting to set "historical deals" and Shanny's comments - which have really been stretched and taken out of context (he never states or suggests that Nylander should take a discount, AFAIK).
We don't know that no. Maybe it's nylanders camp that's being unreasonable, but given the information we have the leafs trying to get a team friendly deal makes a lot more sense.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
420 is a weed joke.
Is8fgrw.jpg

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
We don't know that no. Maybe it's nylanders camp that's being unreasonable, but given the information we have the leafs trying to get a team friendly deal makes a lot more sense.
I think the history of hold-outs with Lewis Gross and rumours of Micheal Nylander's involvement in his sons careers make it equally likely that the Nylander side is being unreasonable. I just don't think there is enough information for all the finger pointing that seems to be going on.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Well thought out.

I think I would rather see him come in under Pasta (obviously lol) but the cap has increased. I would understand a cap hit of just over 7 million for 6 years, considering the cap has increased 6%, and if they were comparable players.

The fact is still that Pasta is better, and Willie should get less, team friendly or not (pastas contract)

In the end, if Willie got exactly the same contract as Pasta, I could live with that. I just don't believe he should be in the 7's or 8's.

I agree, I just think there is a lot made over the Leafs original ask $6.3M (similar to Ehlers) and Nylander wanting $8M.

Neither is unreasonable a place to start, but if they aren't agree on term, and neither side has a gun to their head, this is what you get. To be be fair to both, neither side seems to have created any ill will.

Reactions: DanM

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'd say it's a win for both sides if they get the contract done for 2-3 years. Curious how you would view it as Dubas folding his tent?

5.8 on a 3 or 4 year deal isn't Dubas folding his tent. Ferris loves to rile up Leaf fans, I wouldn't pay it much heed. Nor am I willing to give Dean Blundell much thought.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
One thing about Blundell, if we to take him at face value. He did tweet out first to my knowledge the Tavares signing. But he also said Shea Weber would be a Leaf this year. Plus he said some pretty questionable things here too. Maybe we should caution on jumping too soon on taking his word.

The Montreal Canadiens Shea Webber Will Probably Be A Leaf Soon...Hab's Still Suck. — Dean Blundell's Sports, News, Podcast Network

So that's where he ended up, eh?

Blundell bounced from station to station here for years, getting fired by one and then popping up at another. Constantly.

He should probably brush up on his grammar, though, if he wants to enter the world of bloggers. That article was a riot. :laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say it's a win for both sides if they get the contract done for 2-3 years. Curious how you would view it as Dubas folding his tent?

I literally just explained that in the post. If Dubas gave him on a short term bridge team the amount he wanted to give him on a long term deal (reportedly) I don't see how you could view that as anything but an abject failure for Dubas.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It was mentioned by Friedman on hnic that the leafs offer was in the neighbourhood of 4yrs/20m. Shanahan publically stated the teams goal is to stay together and in order to do that everybody needs to take a little less (like he did in detroit :rolleyes:.)
What is funny about that?

He did take less in Detroit.

He made less than other all star wingers at that time.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
One thing about Blundell, if we to take him at face value. He did tweet out first to my knowledge the Tavares signing. But he also said Shea Weber would be a Leaf this year. Plus he said some pretty questionable things here too. Maybe we should caution on jumping too soon on taking his word.

The Montreal Canadiens Shea Webber Will Probably Be A Leaf Soon...Hab's Still Suck. — Dean Blundell's Sports, News, Podcast Network

Weren't you the person pumping out his rumor as fact?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Tavares actually took a significant discount to play with the Leafs. He was offered $13m/year by other teams, but signed with Toronto for $11m. That's a $14m discount over 7 years.
Yes but the conversation is about Nylander. Toronto is literally Tavares' home town

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yes but the conversation is about Nylander. Toronto is literally Tavares' home town
I must have taken you slightly out of context then. I was under the impression that you meant players wouldn't take discounts to play in Toronto, not Nylander in particular.

If you read the previous two posts (yours + the one you replied to) you'd understand why I thought that.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He did take less in Detroit.

He made less than other all star wingers at that time.
That detroit team had an astronomical salary cap. At one point they had both cujo and hasek at 8m+.

To compare that Detroit team with a well managed cap team where players take discounts to win is ridiculous.

Players went to Detroit to win, and to get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad