Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Cap inflation would account for like a couple hundred thousand more on the Ehlers deal....not 2 million more.
Once again, at most cap inflation would add about 2% (about 300k) to Ehlers contract, based on historical trends. Ehlers' contract starts this year, and his agent knew that the cap goes up each year when he negotiated it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I mean I think the idea is that the Leafs aren't going to budge and that when it comes time to missing a pay cheque Nylander will sign on to something close to what the team is offering.
I think that the longer the hold out, the less likely he signs a long term deal...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His agent and Dad have a history of contract issues so it is easy to assume they are his advisors. Eventually he will start missing paychecks and his agent will tell him to take the deal. Right now it is a waiting game to see who blinks first and an experienced agent is testing a rookie GM in the biggest market in the sport.

If this was 5 years ago, all this pressure from you guys would have forced the GM to just pay them.

No we think he will take the money or sit hoping for a deal that might not come while losing money. There is already a precedent for holding out with players. They usually always cave once the paychecks are missing. And typically the longer it goes, the better team deal it is.

Well from his perspective, Nylander has played about as much center as Draisatl has and takes draws for Matthews sometimes like Draisatl does when playin wing for McDavid. So he is using him as his comparable (Thanks Chia). Leafs are using Ehlers because they see him as a winger long term with our center depth. I think Nylander's camp is saying if I am going to be playing part time center I want to be paid like an elite center not an elite winger.
He's not playing C on a team with Matthews, Tavares and Kadri.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Once again, at most cap inflation would add about 2% (about 300k) to Ehlers contract, based on historical trends. Ehlers' contract starts this year, and his agent knew that the cap goes up each year when he negotiated it.
Yes which is why I am not saying he should sign for exactly the same contract that Ehlers signed lol 6.5 range is a healthy landing spot.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
lol Drouin alone is worth more than Nylander. Holy ****
Drouin (age 23) is a winger who has only topped 50 points once and is coming off 46 last year. Nylander (age 22) is a winger who has had 61 points both of his past two seasons in the NHL. I fail to see how anyone can credibly say Drouin is worth more than Nylander. Literally the only plus Drouin has going for him is that he has more experience playing centre than Nylander (although I am far from convinced either of them will be full-time centres at any time in the future), and Druin's time at centre for the Habs was decidedly... rocky.

There are some people overvaluing Nylander's value here, sure, but Drouin really isn't close to him, not unless he really progresses next season, because so far he has produced like a middle-6 winger, although I do agree that he has the raw talent to be more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zrinski

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Unless that winger is Drouin and there is a conditional 1st round draft pick on there Leafs say hell no.

Drouin + Petry + conditional 1st (if Habs make playoffs in 2019 if not, they get an unprotected 2020 first) for Nylander..

Still not sure I do it but that is closer to the value it would take.
That is a bit too rich of a package for Nylander I think. You probably get that conditional 1st and Drouin out of that, not Petry as well. Look at Montreal's defense,especially after Weber they cannot afford to weaken that blue-line further, and even a protected first deferred to 2020 is very valuble because odds are Montreal is still a lottery team then too. Drouin also isn't Nylander but he is still a pretty valuble and young player.

Again, however, why would the Leafs do this, we don't need a downgrade at wing and an extra 1st in 2020, we are trying to contend now and for the next few years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes which is why I am not saying he should sign for exactly the same contract that Ehlers signed lol 6.5 range is a healthy landing spot.
6.5m would be about right (just a bit on the high side compared to Ehlers), and I'd bet the Leafs would like that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
7 years x 7.5 million book it

How? What leverage does Nylander have to make more than Lewis' other player, Gaudreau? If it's above 7M, he's giving up 8 years. Anything less than 8 years and he's not coming close to 7.5M.

The longer it drags on, the more it leans heavily in favor of Toronto.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is one big difference between Nylander and Gaudreau. Jonny G didn't have any leverage, since he was not eligible for offer sheets, while Nylander has, but decided not to exploit it.. Yet.

Also, another big difference is that the TML GM wants Nylander to give up more UFA years than Gaudreau, but doesn't want to pay for it...

Who knows, maybe he will decide that he will pass on few extra millions, after-all maybe he is not greedy...Or maybe he will start to look at other alternatives...

Yea, he also though that Kessel and Phaneuf are gonna lead you to the promised land ... And he though that Tyler Biggs was soo awesome that he traded up to grab him... And I could keep going for hours...

Nylander doesn't have any leverage either, The Leafs have the cap space to match any offer sheet that is below the max salary, or at least they will once all cuts are made and Horton goes on LTIR, and no one is going to pay Nylander the max salary so that leverage doesn't exist.

So the ONLY way Nylander would have any true leverage is if the Leafs got off to slow start but the way the team has looked, particularly the PP it doesn't look like a slow start is going to happen, so Nylander has basically no leverage at this point

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He ain't doing his thang opening night that's for certainly and y'all can bank on that there. It's been a long ride now mayne. We bout to get heated up in here. Nylander if signs tomorrow or tuesday, he'll play saturday. Then has the chance to get on with his friends. And he still has friends with the team, but as time goes on..... life goes on. Y'all know what I'm saying. They making new friends all the time B. It's not like everybody is best buddies, but they still might be. Time flies by though, sitting on dubs still. Smoking on that thang. We might see some actionette soon. Y'all better recognize.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Nylander doesn't have any leverage either, The Leafs have the cap space to match any offer sheet that is below the max salary, or at least they will once all cuts are made and Horton goes on LTIR, and no one is going to pay Nylander the max salary so that leverage doesn't exist.

So the ONLY way Nylander would have any true leverage is if the Leafs got off to slow start but the way the team has looked, particularly the PP it doesn't look like a slow start is going to happen, so Nylander has basically no leverage at this point

Oh, so you are saying that if another team offer sheets him for 7-7.5 mils the TML would match, and somehow that would not be a good alternative to just taking 6.5 misl...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh, so you are saying that if another team offer sheets him for 7-7.5 mils the TML would match, and somehow that would not be a good alternative to just taking 6.5 misl...

You asked what leverage he has, the answer is none, any offer sheet he signs is instantly matched and the team struggling out of the gate is HIGHLY unlikely.

Plus if a team was going to sign him to an offer sheet realistically it would be done by now

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wow... the last time I looked at this thread, it was page 5 of Nylander #II. Since then its morphed into Nylander #III and its currently on page 4..
Has something significant happened since I last looked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad