Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So Leafs want Nylander to take a hometown discount so they can move him easier. Shocking that Nylander isn’t down for this...
That’s always been the underlying issue IMO. I think Nylander knows that he would be the key young guy that the Leafs move to upgrade another area. So, he is not interested in doing the Leafs any favours with the contract. So, don’t think you can blame him for that if he doesn’t believe he would be part of the Leafs core moving forward.

With the CBA rules it’s up to the 2 sides to come to terms. No arbitration rights. Just the Dec 1 deadline.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
See, now you've gotten yourself into a pickle. Do you compliment Nylander and say he is worth more than Ehlers? Or the Leafs and say that they're doing the right thing playing hard ball trying to get him to sign a fair deal?
Just because Ehlers likes Jets management and took a discount doesn’t mean Nylander should make the same choice with an organization that appears set to play hard ball with him and then likely trade him

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Just because Ehlers likes Jets management and took a discount doesn’t mean Nylander should make the same choice with an organization that appears set to play hard ball with him and then likely trade him

Considering Larkin got a similar deal it doesn’t seem like Ehlers took a discount. More like he signed at market value. Leafs are playing hardball because they aren’t going to let their players dictate their worth when there are a couple near perfect comparable in the league already signed to a contract.

But kudos to you for figuring out how to spin both towards the negative.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He'll sign for 6.5M on Tuesday, I'm all but certain.

He has no reason to sign before then in case leafs management get angsty and change their mind. He has everything to lose starting Wednesday. Brian Burke who also dealed with his agent for Gaudreau said the same thing, which makes sense imo.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Lol...this something when you look at your organization and what has transpired with Trouba.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Why is this contract not signed. I thought I read when the Leaf's signed Tavares that it was agreed the all Leaf's would give hometown discounts. Give Nylander his 4 or 5 million contract for the next 8 years and move on with the season.

Reactions: MordredGK

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
No I mean what I said I suspect that he signs October 2nd because that's what happened with Goodreau

There is one big difference between Nylander and Gaudreau. Jonny G didn't have any leverage, since he was not eligible for offer sheets, while Nylander has, but decided not to exploit it.. Yet.

Also, another big difference is that the TML GM wants Nylander to give up more UFA years than Gaudreau, but doesn't want to pay for it...

Who knows, maybe he will decide that he will pass on few extra millions, after-all maybe he is not greedy...Or maybe he will start to look at other alternatives...

Brian Burke thinks so too.

Yea, he also though that Kessel and Phaneuf are gonna lead you to the promised land ... And he though that Tyler Biggs was soo awesome that he traded up to grab him... And I could keep going for hours...

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why is this contract not signed. I thought I read when the Leaf's signed Tavares that it was agreed the all Leaf's would give hometown discounts. Give Nylander his 4 or 5 million contract for the next 8 years and move on with the season.

Feel sorry for Tavares that lost all that money by signing that cheap ass $11m contract. :eek:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This continues to drag on. I get the feeling Toronto will start the season without Nylander. Also if he's not signed by late next week I think they trade him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The longer a player holds out, the worse the contract seems to get for them.

It's hard to tell that for certain as we're never privy to the real numbers being discussed. Plus a lot of time the holdouts tend to sign bridge contracts, which are always going to be lower AAV then a long term deal would be.

Reactions: Slimmy

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So Leafs want Nylander to take a hometown discount so they can move him easier. Shocking that Nylander isn’t down for this...

If one of Nylander's primary concerns is he could be traded away then the simplest answer is don't sign away any UFA years. There's nothing the Leafs or Nylander are allowed to put into the contract that would give him any protection against being traded before his UFA years kick in. Even a "gentleman's agreement" means nothing in a situation like that.

Reactions: Slimmy

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, I suspect that happens in this case too which means he'd sign October 2nd
Fingers crossed. Gaudreau ultimately settled on a very team friendly contract, hopefully Nylander's turns out to be similarly cost-effective. If it is, then it will have definitely been worth it for Dubas to have played a bit of hard-ball letting Nylander sit out the pre-season.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Fingers crossed. Gaudreau ultimately settled on a very team friendly contract, hopefully Nylander's turns out to be similarly cost-effective. If it is, then it will have definitely been worth it for Dubas to have played a bit of hard-ball letting Nylander sit out the pre-season.

I'm betting that this is exactly how it will go down. Just like Kadri, there was a lot of back & forth and the threat of this & that. Then Kadri signed a very reasonable deal and all was fine. It'll be the same with Nylander.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

So three threads and several weeks in you pop in with the lamest, most predictable and already been said 300 times jab? Nice work.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I'm betting that this is exactly how it will go down. Just like Kadri, there was a lot of back & forth and the threat of this & that. Then Kadri signed a very reasonable deal and all was fine. It'll be the same with Nylander.
Maybe The Leafs can offer a full "No Trade Clause" to help drive down the AAV and get a deal done relatively amicably? That way they guarantee Nylander that he won't just be trade-bait in the future... like he perpetually is here on HFBoards.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe The Leafs can offer a full "No Trade Clause" to help drive down the AAV and get a deal done relatively amicably? That way they guarantee Nylander that he won't just be trade-bait in the future... like he perpetually is here on HFBoards.

You can't give players who aren't UFA age NTC's or NMCs

Beyond that I am going to guess getting traded is not one of Nylanders biggest worries. In general NTC/NMCs are something people with a wife and kids will worry more about, especially school age children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad