Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think Gross made a potentially career altering move for the bad.

His client(Nylander) are in battle with a management team of the highest profile in the league(Leafs) that knows the cap and cba inside and out.

It seems like he bit off more than he can chew thinking hehcould capitalize on a rookie GM but it turns out Nylander is caught in the middle now. I wouldnt be surprised if there are fireworks going on between Lewis and William right now.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

His client(Nylander) are in battle with a management team of the highest profile in the league(Leafs) that knows the cap and cba inside and out.

It seems like he bit off more than he can chew thinking hehcould capitalize on a rookie GM but it turns out Nylander is caught in the middle now. I wouldnt be surprised if there are fireworks going on between Lewis and William right now.

This is pure speculation. It's a business. The agent needs to the find the best deal for his client... just like Johnny Hockey.

While I want Nylander to sit out a whole season or play in the KHL... I suspect he'll sign like Johnny Hockey did around the start of the season. Probably a 6 year deal like that one or Pastrnaks. 8 year deal is too many UFA years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not sure why it matters that it is the "highest profile" team in the league.

I'm pretty sure that every NHL team's management knows the cap and CBA inside and out. I'm not sure how that relates to the situation.

I think this is a straightforward financial calculation. Nylander's agent is trying to get the best financial deal possible for his client. If Nylander ends up holding out until December (the latest he can sign), then I'd expect that he'll end up signing a bridge deal.

But I think that's unlikely. It's more likely that he signs a 6 or 7 year deal for more than the Leafs want to pay, and less than he wants to receive, probably within the next week or two.

I'm going to guess something like 6-7 years and about $6.5-6.7M

Reactions: flamesforcup

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
He ain't doing his thang opening night that's for certainly and y'all can bank on that there. It's been a long ride now mayne. We bout to get heated up in here. Nylander if signs tomorrow or tuesday, he'll play saturday. Then has the chance to get on with his friends. And he still has friends with the team, but as time goes on..... life goes on. Y'all know what I'm saying. They making new friends all the time B. It's not like everybody is best buddies, but they still might be. Time flies by though, sitting on dubs still. Smoking on that thang. We might see some actionette soon. Y'all better recognize.
Snoop is that you? Steelers are on dude. Put down the phone.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
This is pure speculation. It's a business. The agent needs to the find the best deal for his client... just like Johnny Hockey.

While I want Nylander to sit out a whole season or play in the KHL... I suspect he'll sign like Johnny Hockey did around the start of the season. Probably a 6 year deal like that one or Pastrnaks. 8 year deal is too many UFA years.
Did you read the first two words of the post Colombo?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

How much could Willie get as a UFA today? My guess the same as he'll get as an RFA..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not if he gets, let's say, $500K more per year than what the Leafs are offering.
not happening like that. There is noway the Leafs are in the position like OMG the season starts tomorrow we need Willie, give him 500 grand more right away.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
not happening like that. There is noway the Leafs are in the position like OMG the season starts tomorrow we need Willie, give him 500 grand more right away.
Leafs should be lowering the offer the more games that is missed by a player. For example:

6.5 million x 7 years = $79,268 per game

If Nylander misses 4 games the cap hit reduces to 6.454 million x 7 years.​

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
How much could Willie get as a UFA today? My guess the same as he'll get as an RFA..

UFA? $7.5M to 8M/yr.

You pay guys like Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Ericsson, Neal - $6M/yr. And all of them are 50pt players at best... probably 40pt players to be honest.

What's your number?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Did you read the first two words of the post Colombo?

Ok, we can play that game.

I think Auston Matthews wants to play for Arizona Coyotes when he's a UFA and sign only a 4 year extension.

Pure speculation or I am following your well-thought out and very brilliant suspicions?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

I think Auston Matthews wants to play for Arizona Coyotes when he's a UFA and sign only a 4 year extension.

Pure speculation or I am following your well-thought out and very brilliant suspicions?
You follow an hfboards poster to a tee.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Is your purpose in this thread to talk hockey or to antagonize? You only done the latter from why I can see.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This should be solved within the next three days, if not the week, based on Gross’ history when it comes to negotiating on behalf of his clients.

Yup. Plays hard ball for an entire summer and training camp, and usually settles for a team friendly contract before he loses money.

It’s not a surprise he doesn’t have many clients

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Yup. Plays hard ball for an entire summer and training camp, and usually settles for a team friendly contract before he loses money.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't "usually" in this case means "once before"?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

For a one agent operation (I don't think he has any partners, just people who work with him in smaller roles), it is actually pretty sizable. He isn't associated with a major brand like Orr/Wasserman or CAA. For example, if you look at people like Orr or Pat Brisson, they have a bunch of point men underneath them. For example, that's how CAA lost Matthews due to Brisson's main point man getting offered a bigger role over at Orr/Wasserman. Marner's agent also has a smaller operation, but he's actually a former Orr employee who went off on is own. Even a non-affiliated agent like Overhardt has a few partners working with him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't "usually" in this case means "once before"?

- Johnny Gaudreau is the obvious one. Burke said Gross kept making ridiculous asks and then the week of the season starting finally started to make reasonable asks.
- Torey Krug held out a couple days in camp after a 40 point season just to sign a 1/1.4M deal IIRC
- Apparently the Leafs had some difficulties with Gross when trying to negotiate Nylander’s ELC.
- Brandon Saad and the Hawks had difficulty with his extension which is why Chicago was forced to trade him. Gross/Saad werea sking for 6.5M while the Hawks were wanting in the 5.5M range. Hawks traded him and Saad eventually settled for 6M anyway.

Looking at it, his only big name modern day client to not have somewhat of a dispute only to end with the player getting a modest ask was Martin St Louis.

Gaudreau, Krug and now Nylander will all end after a hold out started, Chicago trades Saad before it could get to that point.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
where is the nick ritchie thread with thousands of comments?

Nylander signs in the next few days.

6 years x 6.75 mil
So complete cave by dubas. Can't wait for his 2nd big contract negotiations

Last edited:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
That is a bit too rich of a package for Nylander I think. You probably get that conditional 1st and Drouin out of that, not Petry as well. Look at Montreal's defense,especially after Weber they cannot afford to weaken that blue-line further, and even a protected first deferred to 2020 is very valuble because odds are Montreal is still a lottery team then too. Drouin also isn't Nylander but he is still a pretty valuble and young player.

Again, however, why would the Leafs do this, we don't need a downgrade at wing and an extra 1st in 2020, we are trying to contend now and for the next few years.

So your saying Drouin + conditional 1st for Nylander? Id be ok if you removed the conditions on the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad