Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Get real if Nylander wanted $6.5 million per, He'd already be resigned. He wants far more then that. Hence why he's not resigned yet.

Speaking of getting real, it will be the Nylander camp that buckles and accepts the Leafs offer (which at 6.5 is fair market value), not the other way around.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Get real if Nylander wanted $6.5 million per, He'd already be resigned. He wants far more then that. Hence why he's not resigned yet.
Not with that agent. Didn't start seriously negotiations until the day before the season started with Gaudreau in 2016 according to Burke.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Willys leverage ended the minute JT signed. Truth is the leafs dont need him to win games so without the losses pilling up theres no fan back lash whatsoever.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Probably more so then you do? Very few RFA signing go to 3 days before the NHL season kicks off.
Except Gaudreau who is also a client of Nylander agent Lewis Gross.

Burke said he didnt start Gaudreau negotiations until the day before the 2016 season

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Except Gaudreau who is also a client of Nylander agent Lewis Gross.

Burke said he didnt start Gaudreau negotiations until the day before the 2016 season

I'd quite liked Burke's comment last night.

It went something like "The Leafs really don't need more of what this player brings"

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Possibly closer to $7 million per, But i agree he's not going to get much more. The Larkin signing pretty much sealed Nylanders fate. I think $6.5 million is more then fair for Willy. But obviously he and his agent don't.

If Nylander decides to sign for 5 years like Larkin, sure.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I was wondering if this has nothing to do with Nylander and it's his agent mishandling the negotiations. A lot of player just leave it in the hands of the agent. Do you have link to where Burke says this?
Burke said it on TV last night and on HC@noon the day before.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Not with that agent. Didn't start seriously negotiations until the day before the season started with Gaudreau in 2016 according to Burke.

With an agent like that you wait till he's signed and then send him to the AHL for conditioning purposes. And when he's back he gets to practice with the team for a couple weeks before playing. You send a message that it's ok to hold out but you're going to training camp no matter what.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Michael Nylander had a pretty bad reputation in the league. According to a few news articles a couple of teams had William on the no-draft-list because of his dads reputation.

A former teammate said this about Micheal; “He was a talented guy but a me-first type, selfish. He wasn’t a coach killer, but he wasn’t committed to the team concept. If he gets his goals, gets his contract . . . whatever he can get out of it.”

Another who played with Michael called him “the worst teammate I ever had . . . it was always all about him.”

Big Read: What the Maple Leafs risked by drafting William Nylander - Sportsnet.ca

Since William hasn’t signed his contract yet, I guess he might be just like his dad. He cares about his personal contract, not about the team. I don’t think he will sign for a dollar less than 7.5 million per year. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Michael Nylander had a pretty bad reputation in the league. According to a few news articles a couple of teams had William on the no-draft-list because of his dads reputation.

A former teammate said this about Micheal; “He was a talented guy but a me-first type, selfish. He wasn’t a coach killer, but he wasn’t committed to the team concept. If he gets his goals, gets his contract . . . whatever he can get out of it.”

Another who played with Michael called him “the worst teammate I ever had . . . it was always all about him.”

Big Read: What the Maple Leafs risked by drafting William Nylander - Sportsnet.ca

Since William hasn’t signed his contract yet, I guess he might be just like his dad. He cares about his personal contract, not about the team. I don’t think he will sign for a dollar less than 7.5 million per year. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Not taking a pay cut doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team . It's not his fault they signed Tavares and not his responsibility accommodate.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

That's not uncommon. Hockey is a job.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Also on Sportsnet.ca - another quote from Burke that I agree with:

“I honestly believe they’re going to go for a long-term deal,” Burke continued. “Kyle Dubas is doing this just right … Make him take a long-term deal at your number, and then he’s tradable. They’ll get way more for him if he’s signed for six years than they will if he’s signed on a bridge deal.”

Don't bridge. Sign him long term and trade him if you need cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad