Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
These young players never gain anything from missing camp, holding out for a few more dollars! He isn't worth 8 mil a season on a long term contract, not yet anyways, so take the shorter term deal for less money and just play. Can't think of any examples of players who gained anything from holding out, other than pissing off their teams fan base and management.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ehlers and Nylander have been pretty much neck and neck since their draft years nothing really has changed I preferred Ehlers before the draft and think it's pretty much a wash at this point.

These two players should be locked up to pretty much identical contracts, why on earth does Nylander think he should be getting paid two million a season more than Ehlers, when Ehlers has actually outscored him the past two years (by two points FWIW).
I was thinking about some sort of trade with the Habs involving Petry and one of our wingers for Nylander. But if he wants that kind of money don't think we want him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ehlers had an extension in place last year, cap inflation and Toronto's other young stars potential much higher payout has nylanders camp wanting more.

There isn't 2 million cap inflation in 1 year, not even close!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was thinking about some sort of trade with the Habs involving Petry and one of our wingers for Nylander. But if he wants that kind of money don't think we want him.

The Habs are going to get Nylander for a 4th-5th dman? It would have to be a monster plus for that to work going to TOR!

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If that's all it'd take, wouldn't he have already been signed?

His agent and Dad have a history of contract issues so it is easy to assume they are his advisors. Eventually he will start missing paychecks and his agent will tell him to take the deal. Right now it is a waiting game to see who blinks first and an experienced agent is testing a rookie GM in the biggest market in the sport.

If this was 5 years ago, all this pressure from you guys would have forced the GM to just pay them.

Leafs fans think he will capitulate and “do the right thing”

No we think he will take the money or sit hoping for a deal that might not come while losing money. There is already a precedent for holding out with players. They usually always cave once the paychecks are missing. And typically the longer it goes, the better team deal it is.

Ehlers and Nylander have been pretty much neck and neck since their draft years nothing really has changed I preferred Ehlers before the draft and think it's pretty much a wash at this point.

These two players should be locked up to pretty much identical contracts, why on earth does Nylander think he should be getting paid two million a season more than Ehlers, when Ehlers has actually outscored him the past two years (by two points FWIW).

Well from his perspective, Nylander has played about as much center as Draisatl has and takes draws for Matthews sometimes like Draisatl does when playin wing for McDavid. So he is using him as his comparable (Thanks Chia). Leafs are using Ehlers because they see him as a winger long term with our center depth. I think Nylander's camp is saying if I am going to be playing part time center I want to be paid like an elite center not an elite winger.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Unless that winger is Drouin and there is a conditional 1st round draft pick on there Leafs say hell no.

Drouin + Petry + conditional 1st (if Habs make playoffs in 2019 if not, they get an unprotected 2020 first) for Nylander..

Still not sure I do it but that is closer to the value it would take.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
5 years x 8 million

Signed on Nov. 8

Nylander gets his way

If the Leafs get off to a bad start it won't be because they can't score goals. The Leafs will let him sit as long as he wants. Nylander really has no leverage in this situation and Dubas knows it.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
limited time against the Sens Oct 6th. I think he'll sit out until November though. Earning less by the day now.

He'll have lost a million dollars by then, and the Leafs offer won't have gotten any better, so I really can't see this happening at all. If he were to sit out til November, good chance he gets traded to a team he has no control over, I don't see him wanting that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad