Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Send William over to the Hawks to play with his brother (who happens to be playing well, now).

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You’re reticent to engage in a healthy debate given the extremely immature thread title.

That said, Willie is on pace for 49 points this year. Seems an odd disconnect when some argue he’s been one of our top forwards. He had a good start, I complimented him last game, but then he has this disappearing act routine. It’s this serial inconsistency that translates to a 49 point year, he obviously doesn’t look great, enough of the time.

And here is the elephant in the room with Nylander. There is only one Leaf forward with a career shot percentage lower than Nylander...Gauthier. Think about that. Astounding, given what Willie can put on a shot when he wants too.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You’re reticent to engage in a healthy debate given the extremely immature thread title.

That said, Willie is on pace for 49 points this year. Seems an odd disconnect when some argue he’s been one of our top forwards. He had a good start, I complimented him last game, but then he has this disappearing act routine. It’s this serial inconsistency that translates to a 49 point year, he obviously doesn’t look great, enough of the time.

And here is the elephant in the room with Nylander. There is only one Leaf forward with a career shot percentage lower than Nylander...Gauthier. Think about that. Astounding given what Willie can put on a shot when he wants too.
7 mil for 49 points? Dubas, your a genius.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Simpson did a whole lowlight (not highlight) package of his fear/laziness last night. No underlying numbers were referenced I'm afraid, therefore Nylander Apologists will say that Willy is unfairly treated. Do not trust your eyes for they are the things that cast unfair judgements and poor interpretations of what really is going on in the NCANHL (Non Contact Analytics National Hockey League).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
ha ha, too funny. Leafs are butter soft because their GM doesn't think physicality is a part of hockey, IF the Leafs had some bite they might be able to carry Willy and his soft play, although I'd rather not have his soft play, fly by's, or poor aim on this team.

The coach doesn't like physicality either seeing that when he had a Matt Martin he benched him for half a season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I see Matthews as more of a winger. He doesn't play like a center. Never really has.
He’s looked like a DH home run hitter.
Either hit a homer or strike out. Not pulling the franchise center tag. Might be better playing an Ovi wing game.

Reactions: DarkKnight

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Willy Nylander's confidence has never ever been a problem. An increase in Nylander's confidence might cause a rip in the Space-Time Continuum. I wish he could share some of it with Gauthier and Marincin.

I totally disagree. It’s obvious Babcock treats him differently. Nylander missed a few shifts because the coach wanted to single him. The Leafs do not value Nylander as a grinder. That’s not his forte. The NHL is moving towards a speed and skill game, something Babcock obviously doesn’t believe in.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kapanen had a rocky start to the season, but has turned it around. Now he's supplanted Nylander. I think that any coach not named Babcock would reward Kapanen the same. Unfair?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Unpopular opinion probably, but last night aside Nylander has been the best of the big 4 this season.

He hasn’t been rewarded on the scoresheet, but he’s having a good little season. Go back and watch the Washington game if you don’t agree.
He was excellent in the Washington game, and I for one singled out his play. To follow it up with what we saw last night was unfortunately typical.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
not that you were the one I was posing the question to, but please answer whether or not you think WN is better than MM?

If someone were to look back on my post history, I have always maintained that Marner is a better player. I also criticized Babcock for hurting Marner’s confidence early in his career. These are special players with elite talent that want to, and should be playing as much as possible. There is a reason there is a growing group of hockey observers that are starting to put the blame squarely on the coaching of this team.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Whole team should have been stapled to the bench along with Nylander. Only Kapanen had any right to be out there tbh.

The rules for Nylander are obviously different than the rest of the team. Nylander waves his stick at one guy and rides the pine for 20 minutes, while Kerfoot and Johnsson take a thousand penalties and get right back out there. Marner waves his stick at a guy and then plays half the OT. I want Nylander to be better too, but he gets treated differently than anyone. I hate it.

And that is how Babcock started losing the room

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
There were a few of them this year...and his 5 on 5 play has been ****.

But he only has 2 penalties all year :laugh:

On topic, that was Willy worst game of the year...... It's a bit funny, cause we actually have a Willy sux, Marner sux, and Matthews sux threads active. I made a joke about it last week and now it's true.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Simpson did a whole lowlight (not highlight) package of his fear/laziness last night. No underlying numbers were referenced I'm afraid, therefore Nylander Apologists will say that Willy is unfairly treated. Do not trust your eyes for they are the things that cast unfair judgements and poor interpretations of what really is going on in the NCANHL (Non Contact Analytics National Hockey League).

Yes, and Nylander deserved that highlight.

Having said that there could have been numerous other highlight packages of other Leafs non engagement in key areas had the Flyers scored on their numerous open net chances.

#34 was awful and so was #18.

I would take #18 off of that line, because plays die on his stick.

horner

May 22, 2007
He sucked tonight. If he should be benched for it, so should half the team.

As usual, he's just the convenient scapegoat for some people.
How is it convenient when last yr people blamed it on him not having a training camp .
This yr what's his excuse.
It's not convenient , it's a pattern.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
If this team had leaders someone would fight Nylander in practice. If he doesn’t want to pay the price during the game, he will in practice. It’s that simple.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
And that is how Babcock started losing the room
Quite possibly. I’m angry on Nylander’s behalf, I can only imagine how his friends on the team feel. Coaches have favourites and that’s common enough to not divide a room. But repeatedly crapping on a guy has got to be bad for morale.

They fill up a team with skill guys and then the coach benches the skill guys and plays the grinders, so all the skill guys are looking sideways at the coach wondering if they’re next in the barrel.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I fully support what you wrote! I also think it would be a sort of wake up call for everyone. I am a big fan of Mikheyev and I think he will make sure not to fail if he is promoted.
With our Leafs, there is no such thing as a wake up call, period. If there was, that 1st Habs game should have been it. Not only was it not, they also slept through the 2nd Habs game, and many other games too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad