Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think anybody of the group that they consider our core goes before Babcock. If things don't change afterwards, Willy might be the right guy to move. He's a bit in Marner's shadow. Willy's optimal usage is running a #1 PP, and he won't do that as long as Marner is here. There might be a team that knows that and is willing to pay full price because of it. But it all depends on getting value and getting the right pieces.

Part of the problem with these discussions is.that some folks ok n here seem to hate the guy so much theybwant him traded at all costs.

Not to mention theres this strange trend among some Leafs fans who seem to always want to trade assets when theyre sub prime value (ie the talk around Kapanen at the start of the year).

If.Dubas thinks he wants to move Nykander for say a D man, then he needs to keep him on the 1st pp unit, keep building points and then trade him (a decision id wager more than a few Leafs fans will cry over if/when he puts up big numbers on another team).

Reactions: GermanLeaf

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Did injuries force Matthews to change his game and he can no longer play strong?
That’s a problem. He hasn’t been close to a franchise center. Does he need to move to the wing to compliment how he needs to play? Is it the coach making everyone not care? Too many questions.

Its time for a coach change so all this can be exposed. To betting on the wrong horses and a GM overpaying for guys who are a tier below their salary.
I'm all for changing the coach, but I don't see the coach being the problem unless the players are not trying to get said coach fired? If that's the case I think you could consider any/all of these supposed players as a team cancer. We've all had bosses we haven't liked/trusted/respected, but I highly doubt anyone didn't do their jobs because of said boss, more likely you did a good job in spite of the bad boss.

If you really think about it the players should rally around the fact that they'll win in spite of their dislike for Babcock, not lose because of Babcock?

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Willy might be the most unlucky player I've ever seen in terms of putting in good work and not getting any points to show for it.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would question the European part, he was born in Calgary.
anyone who is physically built out of granite and avoids contact like the plague will be called out for being soft, regardless of where their from, but I could be wrong?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Part of the problem with these discussions is.that some folks ok n here seem to hate the guy so much theybwant him traded at all costs.

Not to mention theres this strange trend among some Leafs fans who seem to always want to trade assets when theyre sub prime value (ie the talk around Kapanen at the start of the year).

If.Dubas thinks he wants to move Nykander for say a D man, then he needs to keep him on the 1st pp unit, keep building points and then trade him (a decision id wager more than a few Leafs fans will cry over if/when he puts up big numbers on another team).
unless said player continues to struggle even with prime minutes then you've essentially lowered the potential return when trading said player.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

His value goes down when he plays in the NHL, up after the WHC. I guess we could wait for the WHC, but it's going to be a hard sale because other people aren't blind. There is no reason Willy should be on PP1. Even now with Tavares injured, I question it, Barrie would seem a much better choice both offensively and defensively.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

horner

May 22, 2007
What is the pattern exactly? Most games this year he's been good and engaged. He's getting to the net well, and he's gotten lots of credit for his work on the forecheck.

There's no pattern, other than this happens every time Willy happens to have a bad game, in contrast to how it almost never happen to anybody else on the team*.

* Except for Marner now, unfortunately.

If you think that that is him playing his best, then we will call it a day.

You don't think Marner isn't catching some heat on these threads , then you don't look close enough.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
unless said player continues to struggle even with prime minutes then you've essentially lowered the potential return when trading said player.

If you genuinely think that player is a bust, then youd have a point. But we know what Nylander is capable of offensively based on his esrlier play. Hes not a player who had a flash in the pan one off good season.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
His value goes down when he plays in the NHL, up after the WHC. I guess we could wait for the WHC, but it's going to be a hard sale because other people aren't blind. There is no reason Willy should be on PP1. Even now with Tavares injured, I question it, Barrie would seem a much better choice both offensively and defensively.

You're talking about team leading -5 Barrie who hasn't scored a goal this year?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you genuinely think that player is a bust, then youd have a point. But we know what Nylander is capable of offensively based on his esrlier play. Hes not a player who had a flash in the pan one off good season.
fact of the matter is he wasn't good last year, hasn't been very good this year, each time we discuss how good he was on his entry level deal that becomes further and further from the present day WN, and therefore less relevant, but I could be wrong?

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm all for changing the coach, but I don't see the coach being the problem unless the players are not trying to get said coach fired? If that's the case I think you could consider any/all of these supposed players as a team cancer. We've all had bosses we haven't liked/trusted/respected, but I highly doubt anyone didn't do their jobs because of said boss, more likely you did a good job in spite of the bad boss.

If you really think about it the players should rally around the fact that they'll win in spite of their dislike for Babcock, not lose because of Babcock?

I hear the 67 Leafs loved Punch Imlach to death :sarcasm:

Reactions: rumman

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
You're talking about team leading -5 Barrie who hasn't scored a goal this year?
Yes. We need to get him going. He can help hold the puck in the zone better by playing deeper than Nylander does. We already have Marner playing the half boards, we don't need Willy out there in any way. Especially since if he starts shooting again he misses most of the time high to the far side which is like a free zone clear for the other team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We know he could be a 60 point complimentary winger. IS that what you pay 7 mil for?

Which he got as a rookie....

Obviously hes capable of doing more. 7 million is the going rate for those guys in ufa and obviously Nylander continues to have potential to go beyond that

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

They are getting paid lots of $$$ no matter what. If you or I did a bad job because of our bosses we'd get fired and not get paid anymore.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Whole team should have been stapled to the bench along with Nylander. Only Kapanen had any right to be out there tbh.

The rules for Nylander are obviously different than the rest of the team. Nylander waves his stick at one guy and rides the pine for 20 minutes, while Kerfoot and Johnsson take a thousand penalties and get right back out there. Marner waves his stick at a guy and then plays half the OT. I want Nylander to be better too, but he gets treated differently than anyone. I hate it.

One of the many reasons Babcock needs to be fired. Would you want to play for a coach that treats you like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->