Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its definitely confusing that Babs names Nylander as the best player of thr game but still kept him on the bench over last bit of gameplay.

If the point of using the "stick" to fpster improvement with Nylanders play then he also needs to start offering "carrots".

I honestly dont mind a tough love approach, but there needs to be even consistency among all players,

alright either there is a moderator conspiracy or you are taking the piss now

Reactions: Menzinger

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Babcocks job is to worry about the team. Not to cater to some high maintenance, diva.

Developing Nylander to be a successful player in those situations is in the team's best interests. I'd like to think the only reason Marner takes draws on the PK is to expose him to those situations so he gets better as time goes on. If that's not the reason Babcock needs to stop as it's resulted in goals a few times already (heck he might just need to stop doing that regardless).

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Before tonight's game in the 10 previous games, Nylander had 1 goal, 3 assists, 2 blocked shots, 2 Hits. The eye test supported his lack of compete, he checked out. No different then what we have seen from him in previous years.

The notion of Nylander being the most consistent forward is laughable. He showed up tonight vs LA Kings, who knows vs Vegas what he will do, no one in MLSE knows. Nylander has an On/Off switch.

Matthews has had 5 games of no points.
Marner has had 5 games of no points.
Nylander has had 6 games of no points.

The Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander line has been dominant possession-wise and with scoring chances, even if the past few games have been disappointing.

Reactions: stickty111

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No Matthews.
Why would I trade Nylander before Matthews?
Nylander is no. 2 on that list and cheaper.

That's not the overall list tbh, Oak just likes to post Leafs players and compare them to guys around them. For instance he's showing here that 5v5 Nylander has almost as many, or more points than "superstars" MacKinnon, Pettersson, Marner, etc. There's many guys (including Matthews) that has more than 26 5v5 points in their last 50 GP.

It's what I've been preaching a while though, most people don't grasp how good Will is 5v5 (not even just points wise) and how much better he would be perceived if he played on the top-PP.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
And if anyone is curious, Matthews has 34 in his last 50. Too lazy to look up the icetime.

edit: Actually it's 34 ES points for Matthews, not sure if that's all 5v5.

For the Leafs, these are the 5v5 point leaders for the past 50 games:

Matthews: ------ 32 pts ------ [2.51 pts/60]
Nylander: ------ 25 pts ------ [2.20 pts/60]
Marner: ------ 24 pts ------ [2.03 pts/60]
Tavares: ------ 23 pts ------ [2.12 pts/60]

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Its definitely confusing that Babs names Nylander as the best player of the game but still kept him on the bench over last bit of gameplay.

If the point of using the "stick" to foster improvement with Nylanders play then he also needs to start offering "carrots".

I honestly dont mind a tough love approach, but there needs to be even consistency among all players,
I'm actually ok with what Babcock did in this situation.

Nylander is great with the puck. But not so great without it.

The last couple minutes of a game where the leafs are winning a close-ish game, the goalie is pulled and the leafs will likely have very little possession. So Babcock goes with his players who are better without the puck.

Nylander being the best player of the game doesn't mean that his weaknesses should be ignored over the last couple of minutes.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not a Nylander fan. Makes me sick watching him blatantly choose to not engage in a puck battle because he might get touched by another player. You don’t win with selfish players like him and I hope he’s traded to address this team’s weaknesses.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Not a Nylander fan. Makes me sick watching him blatantly choose to not engage in a puck battle because he might get touched by another player. You don’t win with selfish players like him and I hope he’s traded to address this team’s weaknesses.

ship him out

Reactions: Al14

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
dang me, I keep forgetting that PP Pts don't count:rolleyes:
No one is saying that. Nylander just simply isnt given the same opportunities as other players on the team to rack up additional points. If nylander was on pp1, extra attacker, out there when the other team has an empty net he would simply have a higher point total. But he is often not chosen for these situations for various reasons.

Edit for MyBudJT to understand more clearly: When I refer to being on PP1, i mean the majority of the season, not just a handful of games.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No one is saying that. Nylander just simply isnt given the same opportunities as other players on the team to rack up additional points. If nylander was on pp1, extra attacker, out there when the other team has an empty net he would simply have a higher point total. But he is often not chosen for these situations for various reasons.

Nylander was on PP1 for 7 games, and during that stretch it was probably the worst PP1 we've had for years....

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
the worst thing this team ever did was sign this guy- the leafs got hoodwinked on that deal

anyone care to find out the leafs win/loss record since he was signed last december?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad