Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Good performance by Nylander in the 3rd to get us the win.

I think they should use Mikheyev instead of AJ on the 1st line. That would really help.

I think the team is moulding that Kerfoot line into a future shutdown role. I do like the idea but where are gonna out AJ?

Also AJ is a prettybdecent player - bonafide top 6 player on a good team

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I think the team is moulding that Kerfoot line into a future shutdown role. I do like the idea but where are gonna out AJ?

I've really liked Johnsson. He's a fiesty skilled LW. With the emergence of a good group of LW in Johnsson, Hyman, Mikheyev, Timashov, Petan/Moore, I can see Johnsson being a nice trade-bait to a team that needs that skill. Edmonton comes to mind.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nice response by Nylander. He might have won the game for the team in the 3rd. He has been the best forward for the team this season.

Willie has probably been the most consistently good forward on the team. Despite his lapses, Matthews is the best overall. He's just so good at the most important skill (scoring goals). His production there elevates him. After that, it's between Willie and Kerfoot for me, but the latter has taken a ton of penalties. Mikhayev and Kapanen have also played strong. Mitch has looked better the last two, but his defensive play has been just horrific all season. Apart from shredding a few bottom-dwellers, he's looked bad. With that said, he'll rebound, and so will Johnny T.

There's no question that the main problems with this team right now are JT, Marner and Barrie. All 3 are playing significantly below what is to be expected from them. Hopefully they straighten up soon.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Willie has probably been the most consistently good forward on the team. Despite his lapses, Matthews is the best overall. He's just so good at the most important skill (scoring goals). His production there elevates him. After that, it's between Willie and Kerfoot for me, but the latter has taken a ton of penalties. Mikhayev and Kapanen have also played strong. Mitch has looked better the last two, but his defensive play has been just horrific all season. Apart from shredding a few bottom-dwellers, he's looked bad. With that said, he'll rebound, and so will Johnny T.

There's no question that the main problems with this team right now are JT, Marner and Barrie. All 3 are playing significantly below what is to be expected from them. Hopefully they straighten up soon.
Agreed. Matthews is the best forward on the team, but this season Nylander has been more consistent.
Marner will get better but he isn't very good right now.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Willy played a key role in getting us this W tonight.

And here we are 4 years later, and Babcock still refuses to use Willy when we're defending a lead late in the game. Imagine how much confidence that inspires in your young talent? "Hey kid thanks for thanks for putting us ahead, but you're gonna ride the pine while I use this 4th line scrub who didn't even play at all last year and played 15 games the year before to defend it instead. Oh by the way you screw up again like last game I'm benching your ass again."

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

And here we are 4 years later, and Babcock still refuses to use Willy when we're defending a lead late in the game. Imagine how much confidence that inspires in your young talent? "Hey kid thanks for thanks for putting us ahead, but you're gonna ride the pine while I use this 4th line scrub who didn't even play at all last year and played 15 games the year before to defend it instead. Oh by the way you screw up again like last game I'm benching your ass again."

Management by fear. Might work on some players, but not this core IMHO. Willy might seem cocky but when things dont go his way you can almost see him thinking way to much, and thus be one step behind all game. You fix that with confidence and support from coaches. Not benching.

If he said " I dont care grandpa Babsy-Bob i will not do anything you say" then i understand the benching.

That said i dont know how he played this game.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Yea I'm definitely not throwing shade on AJ. He's done well. I just feel like a bigger body / more of a power forward type player like Mikheyev can do a better job of creating space and winning board battles, which will hopefully help Matthews and Nylander.

I think a third line of AJ - Kerfoot - Kap could be one of the top third lines in the league.

But yea, I do think AJ is a bona fide top 6 player in general.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

I think Babcock is bullying Nylander.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Management by fear. Might work on some players, but not this core IMHO. Willy might seem cocky but when things dont go his way you can almost see him thinking way to much, and thus be one step behind all game. You fix that with confidence and support from coaches. Not benching.

If he said " I dont care grandpa Babsy-Bob i will not do anything you say" then i understand the benching.

That said i dont know how he played this game.
Considering how much Babcock has done it to him, and Nylander still seems confident, it seems okay. With that being said, I still don't like it. Eventually, it's going to have a negative impact on the player.

I thought he was okay in the 1st 2 periods, but ineffective. He then took over the game in the last 7 minutes. He pretty much won it for them. Babcock then obviously benches him in the last shift of the game. Part of me wanted Shore to mess up and cause a goal against in that shift.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Before tonight's game in the 10 previous games, Nylander had 1 goal, 3 assists, 2 blocked shots, 2 Hits. The eye test supported his lack of compete, he checked out. No different then what we have seen from him in previous years.

The notion of Nylander being the most consistent forward is laughable. He showed up tonight vs LA Kings, who knows vs Vegas what he will do, no one in MLSE knows. Nylander has an On/Off switch.

horner

May 22, 2007
There first time in a long time I have seen Nylander go to the net and score .

Do this more often .

People are focusing on Mathews use him as a decoy .

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
Rogers (Sportsnet/CBC) Broadcast -
10GP - 2G - 3A - 5P - -2
Bell (TSN) Broadcast -
6GP - 2G - 4A - 6P - +5

Nylander's best tournaments? WHC. Broadcasting rights for WHC? TSN.

Hes obviously only 'on' when he's broadcasted on TSN, which is to a smaller audience as these games aren't available nationally. This kid obviously isn't made for the big market, we shouldve shipped him to a small market like Carolina when we had the chance. He's exactly like his dad, who really solidified himself with the Chicago Blackhawks between 1999 and 2002. Important to note, those 1999 to 2002 Blackhawks WERE NOT TELEVISED.

:sarcasm:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I actually think Babcock likes Nylander. He is hard on him because he has high expectations.
He really does. But he goes a bit too far with the motivation bit. I think it would do Nylander wonders to sometimes get to play without having to look over his shoulder at the coach any time he makes a mistake.

Can't even imagine what would happen if he had the kind of 5v6 shift that some of our forwards had tonight.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I actually think Babcock likes Nylander. He is hard on him because he has high expectations.

babs expectations are high for him. He’s got the skill set to be elite on both sides of the puck. What he’s missing is the brain-motor to do it. It’s just the way players are wired. Some have it some don’t. Imagine Willy with Moore’s or Hymans motor...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No, no, no! He's not playing the right half board so it doesn't count!

Until we get the perfect goldilocks zone set up for Nylander, we simply cannot levy any criticism. He needs:

1. To be stapled to one of the greatest even strength point getters in the league.

2. Have PP1 go through him on the right half board

3. Have a head coach who gives him positive validation everyday.
Even more important than all that you say is he needs a big strong fast left winger who can skate and go hard to the net, dig pucks and can play the wall flawlessly. If Babs puts someone on his LW who can help open up the ice then he will can even more points and contribute even more than he does today.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yea I'm definitely not throwing shade on AJ. He's done well. I just feel like a bigger body / more of a power forward type player like Mikheyev can do a better job of creating space and winning board battles, which will hopefully help Matthews and Nylander.

I think a third line of AJ - Kerfoot - Kap could be one of the top third lines in the league.

But yea, I do think AJ is a bona fide top 6 player in general.
So true. A big man who can create lanes and open up more ice will really put Willy's game to next level. But that big man also needs to dig pucks, go to net and work the wall. I know Babs told lots of people in summer he would play Mikh on that line but as I have said you can't take a rookie and just give him that spot. But maybe it is time for the transition now. Mikh is earning it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He really does. But he goes a bit too far with the motivation bit. I think it would do Nylander wonders to sometimes get to play without having to look over his shoulder at the coach any time he makes a mistake.

Can't even imagine what would happen if he had the kind of 5v6 shift that some of our forwards had tonight.

Its definitely confusing that Babs names Nylander as the best player of the game but still kept him on the bench over last bit of gameplay.

If the point of using the "stick" to foster improvement with Nylanders play then he also needs to start offering "carrots".

I honestly dont mind a tough love approach, but there needs to be even consistency among all players,

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its definitely confusing that Babs names Nylander as the best player of thr game but still kept him on the bench over last bit of gameplay.

If the point of using the "stick" to fpster improvement with Nylanders play then he also needs to start offering "carrots".

I honestly dont mind a tough love approach, but there needs to be even consistency among all players,

Would have been a perfect time to get Nylander out defending a lead up by 2 goals against what may be the worst offensive team in the league in the Kings.

But no, god forbid you try to inspire a bit of confidence in the kid.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Would have been a perfect time to get Nylander out defending a lead up by 2 goals against what may be the worst offensive team in the league in the Kings.

But no, god forbid you try to inspire a bit of confidence in the kid.

Babcocks job is to worry about the team. Not to cater to some high maintenance, diva.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille