Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
the worst thing this team ever did was sign this guy- the leafs got hoodwinked on that deal

anyone care to find out the leafs win/loss record since he was signed last december?
I’m not a huge fan of WN and players that play his style , but let’s wait until the end of the year to evaluate these matters

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nylander was on PP1 for 7 games, and during that stretch it was probably the worst PP1 we've had for years....
Yes, put the blame solely on nylander.

It's not like he was grossly misused on it or anything. Also let's ignore his first full season and how successful he was on the pp.

Reactions: Menzinger

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yes, put the blame solely on nylander.

It's not like he was grossly misused on it or anything. Also let's ignore his first full season and how successful he was on the pp.

I didn't put the blame on Nylander. But I also didn't claim the Nylander hasn't got any PP1 time...

Yes. Lets look at his rookie season numbers, when the past 3 seasons are the most recent and relevant sample size...

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I didn't put the blame on Nylander. But I also didn't claim the Nylander hasn't got any PP1 time...

Yes. Lets look at his rookie season numbers, when the past 3 seasons are the most recent and relevant sample size...
I referred to his rookie season because that is really the only season that he was part of "PP1" for the majority of the year. And he has clearly shown that he can produce if he is put in the right position to succeed rather than sitting in the bumper position and not even being involved with zone entires.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I meant spent the majority of the season on PP1. I should have known people would have assumed playing there for a few games is the equivalent of that. Silly me.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I referred to his rookie season because that is really the only season that he was part of "PP1" for the majority of the year. And he has clearly shown that he can produce if he is put in the right position to succeed rather than sitting in the bumper position and not even being involved with zone entires.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I meant spent the majority of the season on PP1. I should have known people would have assumed playing there for a few games is the equivalent of that. Silly me.

Well, he kind of had PP1 minutes in his sophmore season too, but the fact is, he lost the battle to Marner's unit.

Only about 10-15 seconds separated PP1 to PP2 that season.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander is a great powerplay player with the right line and position. I dont expect or demand him to be better then a 11mill player. But he would be close given the exact same opportunity. Would only happen if Marner gets hurt and i absolutly dont want that to happen. Everything is fine as is. But if they find a good spot for Nylander on first ppl, they should use him.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, zigomanis' opinions are kinda stupid as well.

It’s just another former NHLer who realizes that Nylander is a luxury player. Everyone sees it except Dubas and his fan base.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It’s just another former NHLer who realizes that Nylander is a luxury player. Everyone sees it except Dubas and his fan base.

His opinion was super dumb. We have Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Ceci all making 3 mill+ that will go before trading a prized asset like Willy. We have guys to replace Johnsson, Kapanen and Ceci but no one to replace Willy.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
His opinion was super dumb. We have Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Ceci all making 3 mill+ that will go before trading a prized asset like Willy. We have guys to replace Johnsson, Kapanen and Ceci but no one to replace Willy.

I would rather keep Johnsson and Kapanen and their 40 goals at less of a cap hit than 1 Nylander. He is the prefect trade chip to acquire a comparable dman, especially if he produces.

Reactions: rumman

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I would rather keep Johnsson and Kapanen and their 40 goals at less of a cap hit than 1 Nylander. He is the prefect trade chip to acquire a comparable dman, especially if he produces.

a comparable piece to a "complimantary" forward is a bottom pair Dman, you dont need to trade nylander to get that. If you think he'd get a better dman than that then he isn't a complimentary piece

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

You're missing the point though.

Zigomanis's opinion is that we need to move Nylander to make cap space for when we have a healthy lineup this year (I.e when Hyman comes back in). Why on earth would you move Nylander when you can move ONE of Johnsson or Kapanen instead. Makes zero sense. We trade Willy, we have no one to replace his combined possession play + points + zone entries. We trade AJ or Kapanen, we have a plethora of players close to replacing their contributions. I love AJ and Kapanen, don't get me wrong.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You're missing the point though.

Zigomanis's opinion is that we need to move Nylander to make cap space for when we have a healthy lineup this year (I.e when Hyman comes back in). Why on earth would you move Nylander when you can move ONE of Johnsson or Kapanen instead. Makes zero sense. We trade Willy, we have no one to replace his combined possession play + points + zone entries. We trade AJ or Kapanen, we have a plethora of players close to replacing their contributions. I love AJ and Kapanen, don't get me wrong.

Zigomanis' point is stupid because we don't need to move ANYONE of consequence to fit everyone in. None of Johnsson, Kapanen, Nylander, etc. need to be dealt. If they need to play with a short roster one game, then so be it. Unprepared analyst with a blatantly wrong opinion. So, basically Sportnet's typical employee.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Zigomanis' point is stupid because we don't need to move ANYONE of consequence to fit everyone in. None of Johnsson, Kapanen, Nylander, etc. need to be dealt. If they need to play with a short roster one game, then so be it. Unprepared analyst with a blatantly wrong opinion. So, basically Sportnet's typical employee.

agreed this whole stupid point of having 21 or 23 ppl on the roster doesnt matter.
its not like you can use any of these 2 extra players during the game so who cares. if someone gets hurt then you call someone up.

also im pretty sure if a player passes through wavers he could still practice with the big club making it as if he was on the 23 man roster anyways. so again who cares

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
dang me, I keep forgetting that PP Pts don't count:rolleyes:

Nobody is suggesting that -but fsct remains 5v5 production temds to be more impactful overall due to the simple fact that the majority of every game is played at that situation.

More so with Nylander given the fact that Babs tends to utilze him at a larger role at 5v5 vs pp (ie that hes on the 2nd pp unit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->