Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Would we be able to talk to mark stone about an extension? What about willy for stone and a prospect?

He would have to rot in Ottawa, which would be funny, we could boo the crap out of him when he comes to town, and we get better right now. Stone and Matthew's together would never lose the puck.
Goodness.

I’m worried about “fans” like you when Willy ends up signing in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Heres one, I don't usually do well with these proposals and indulged in a newly fully legal substance, so if its terrible I understand

To LA Kings - William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + Eemeli Rassanen/Lesser D prospect

To Toronto - Tyler Toffoli + Jake Muzzin + rights to Slava Voynov if reinstated.

If we ever deal with LA, I want to ship Willie and Z out and bring in Doughty. Make the kings retain on his contract if they're willing.

Z and Willie will probably make about 12 total. We can absorb the Doughty 11 mil as long as Z goes the other way and we let Jake walk.

Dermott - Doughty
Rielly - Sandin
Borg/ Rosen/ Ozi - Lilly

That is a terrific D-core. All mobile D with good offensive instincts and excellent hockey IQ.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yea, its time for people to start realizing what Nylander is, a greedy little pr***k. None of this "looking out for myself" BS. Honestly at this point my opinion of him has changed forever. Even if he does sign, which to me looks more and more unlikely I will still not respect him for this stunt. 6 million dollars isn't good enough for him even though for two other players of comparable stats (Ehlers,Pastrnak) it was. Reeks of entitlement and it reeks of trouble. If it were up to me I'd have already given him an ultimatum, take the deal or enjoy playing elsewhere kid.

Just sweat him out and when he takes a bridge just before the deadline you have your bargaining power back to trade him.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would let him sit out the year, find gainful employment outside the league and let him build some hype and trade him later if it ever came to that. The December 1 deadline is so artificial and makes me laugh at some of the returns Sportsnet is throwing out there. Let him sit, let him make the case for being the "best player not in the NHL" while dominating in the KHL or something and make a decision next summer.

The other thing to consider too is that while Nylander can't rejoin the NHL after December 1, we could still probably deal him to a bottom feeder for a trade deadline return. For example, imagine a team like the St. Louis Blues were moving on from Alex Pietrangelo (to use an appealing star player) and are tanking for the 1st overall. They could still pick up Nylander in a futures package, not get any better to hurt their rebuild and tanking to boot or pay him the rest of the year.

Great point. I never thought of that. It appears Nylander has more to lose with December 1 looming, than the Leafs do.

I like the idea of having the option of trading him if necessary after December 1. It would certainly say much about Nylander’s desire and commitment to be a Leaf if he does let December 1 come and go without signing.

Reactions: The Cobra

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would say enjoy the vacation. We're taking our time to find the best offer for you and if that means you sit the season at your own expense, so be it.

Thats just proper asset management too. The Nylander camp are the greasy ones here

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Thinking outside the box here...but in lieu of a NTC which we know can't be offered - could a team offer a trade bonus clause where if a player is traded without his consent (player right to waive the clause) then a bonus is paid out? I'm guessing not or else we would have heard of it by now. Plus that space would need to be allocated.

There must be a monetary structure that would severely restrict teams from being able to take on a contract though. Max-front loading with max signing bonuses every year would effectively rule out the budget conscious bottom feeders.

Say ..

Year 1 - 10M
Year 2 - 10M
Year 3 - 8M
Year 4 - 8M
Year 5 - 6M
Year 6 - 6M
Year 7 - 5M
Year 8 - 5M

58M / 8

7.25 AAV

90% signing bonus July 1 every year.

honest question... would it not be better for him to reverse this?
in the last number of years it would be 10 mill cash but a lower cap hit?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's going to be bad news if he comes back and doesn't reach fans expectations, I can understand that. The only way for Nylander to get back in some of the fans good books is to play even better than he has already.
Personally I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he reaches new heights if he does eventually sign with us.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Heres one, I don't usually do well with these proposals and indulged in a newly fully legal substance, so if its terrible I understand

To LA Kings - William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + Eemeli Rassanen/Lesser D prospect

To Toronto - Tyler Toffoli + Jake Muzzin + rights to Slava Voynov if reinstated.

Dubas is the last GM would ever consider Voynov.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
honest question... would it not be better for him to reverse this?
in the last number of years it would be 10 mill cash but a lower cap hit?

Yeah I was just thinking reverse year 1 and 8 so he loses less this year. No way they would go for losing 5-8 weeks @ $400K a week!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Goodness.

I’m worried about “fans” like you when Willy ends up signing in the next couple weeks.

I would trade him to Ottawa in a blink of an eye if they offered stone straight up for him.

Stone is a effin tank and only 26 and makes us a more serious threat to take the cup.

F)@? That owner would just love to sit hos a$$ the entire season to save that stone money.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yea baby , make the f***er sit

who gives a damn about icing our best lineup to try to win the cup when it's much better entertainment to f*** Willie and for The Dube to show him who the man is

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For some resson today it finally pi$$ed me off that he is not signed and giving a great management team a negative perception.

He is not worth 8 million and Dubas is fair offering $6.5 that is reported if true but that is the reports.

Dubas is in the right range and Nylander and his representative are in the wrong range.

There might not be a team interested in that nonsense or dealing with this agent and Dubas will have to let him sit out the year.

Willy might be wise to fire that agent quick because before he knows what hit him soon enough, he will have forfeited 6.5 million and a year of his hockey career. I think Dubas will blow up a year if the return just is not there.

Wake up wee willy.

If this is the scenario you described is indeed what is happening, and William Nylander does miss a year in his prime, maybe it just proves he isn't a guy for us. Disappointing, but as long as we retain value on him, so be it.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
All this drama with Nylander isn’t making him more attractive to other teams- there’s no stopping him from doing the same somewhere else - I would say that his camp is more accountable rather than the Leafs management. And what other organization wants to deal with this kind of indecisiveness and instability?

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Damn, the delusion is strong. Nylander is not worth Stone. Stone>>Nylander.

Also, in no world are the leafs getting doughty for nylander and a cap dump. Not to mention, people want a wife beater in the blue ane white ?

member 300185

This is simple really. Dubas needs to grow a pair and put Nylander in his place.

"Ok Willy. Here is whats up. You have one week to sign this deal or you will be dealt. I have been fielding offers for 2 weeks. I'd be more than happy to deal your greedy ass out of town"

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Damn, the delusion is strong. Nylander is not worth Stone. Stone>>Nylander.

Also, in no world are the leafs getting doughty for nylander and a cap dump. Not to mention, people want a wife beater in the blue ane white ?
Delusional? Same numbers at this age, you're comparing a finished product to guy with higher upside, hardly some crazy talk like you're suggesting.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This is simple really. Dubas needs to grow a pair and put Nylander in his place.

"Ok Willy. Here is whats up. You have one week to sign this deal or you will be dealt. I have been fielding offers for 2 weeks. I'd be more than happy to deal your greedy ass out of town"
and if he says trade me and we don't have an acceptable offer then what?

member 300185

Naw man. We don't need no wife beater on our team. Come up with someone else.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Delusional? Same numbers at this age, you're comparing a finished product to guy with higher upside, hardly some crazy talk like you're suggesting.

In no way will Nylander ever be as good as Stone. Stone does it all, he even does what Nylander does, but better. Stone also seemingly has a decent head on his shoulders.

member 300185

and if he says trade me and we don't have an acceptable offer then what?
We wait. We put it out across the league that he is available. There will be at least 15 legit places he could go. Let all know that the best offer gets him. (Except Montreal of course).

Its not like Dubas's hands are tied here. Lots of teams will want him. And its not like he has to take the only offer that comes his way. Carolina, LA, StJ, Detroit, Carolina, Dallas, Minnesota have all been linked to wanting Nylander and its serious because there have been over 18 different scouts at every game for the last 2 weeks. Not 18 at every game, but each team would send someone on a certain day. And I know they can't see Nylander, but likely looking at someone else that could be involved in a package.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In no way will Nylander ever be as good as Stone. Stone does it all, he even does what Nylander does, but better. Stone also seemingly has a decent head on his shoulders.

Nylander’s rookie season was just 3 points shy of Stones career high so far.

I like Stone as a player but he safer bet is Nylande looks like he’s easily going to surpass him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We wait. We put it out across the league that he is available. There will be at least 15 legit places he could go. Let all know that the best offer gets him. (Except Montreal of course).

Its not like Dubas's hands are tied here. Lots of teams will want him. And its not like he has to take the only offer that comes his way. Carolina, LA, StJ, Detroit, Carolina, Dallas, Minnesota have all been linked to wanting Nylander and its serious because there have been over 18 different scouts at every game for the last 2 weeks. Not 18 at every game, but each team would send someone on a certain day.
what's amusing is how we can't sign him but half the league wants to trade for him which means they have no problem with his asking price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad