Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Cared enough to assure us of your mental health? I wonder what Nylanders mental health is like right now,. Think he is nervous?

The mental health of Nylander? the mental health of a 22 year old who most certainly already has on offer on the table long term to make at the very minimum 6 million dollars a year? a 22 year old who can if he wants at this very moment sign his name to a contract that would see him earn more than any average Canadian could hope to earn in 10+ lifetimes? a 22 year old who could sign a contract equivalent to winning a Lotto-Max estimated at 35+ million? PUH-lease.

Yeahh..must be tough for his mental health alright.

This Nylander sympathizing at times can be nauseating.

If he ends up being moved, I hope he is booed more mercilessly than Alfredsson ever was.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The mental health of Nylander? the mental health of a 22 year old who most certainly already has on offer on the table long term to make at the very minimum 6 million dollars a year? a 22 year old who can if he wants to at this very moment sign his name to a contract that would see him earn more than any average Canadian could hope to earn in 10+ lifetimes? a 22 year old who could sign a contract equivalent to winning a Lotto-Max estimated at 35+ million? PUH-lease.

This Nylander sympathizing at times can be nauseating.

Nylander is crazy to me. If I looked at my stats(same as his) and the kinda of opportunity I was being given playing alongside a guy like Matthews. I would take anything around 6-6.5m x 6 no problem. Seems pretty fair and like a good time to me! It's really easy to put yourself in his shoes and accept 6+ million for 6 years to play hockey on an awesome team.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Teams might pay because he wouldn't be their 5th most valuable forward
Well,I'm sure he is a 1st line winger on many teams,possibly a center on a few. Some have suggested the offer sheet possibility. But I doubt any team pays that,then the money for Willy as well.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Nylander is crazy to me. If I looked at my stats(same as his) and the kinda of opportunity I was being given playing alongside a guy like Matthews. I would take anything around 6-6.5m x 6 no problem. Seems pretty fair and like a good time to me! It's really easy to put yourself in his shoes and accept 6+ million for 6 years to play hockey on an awesome team.

Yea, its time for people to start realizing what Nylander is, a greedy little pr***k. None of this "looking out for myself" BS. Honestly at this point my opinion of him has changed forever. Even if he does sign, which to me looks more and more unlikely I will still not respect him for this stunt. 6 million dollars isn't good enough for him even though for two other players of comparable stats (Ehlers,Pastrnak) it was. Reeks of entitlement and it reeks of trouble. If it were up to me I'd have already given him an ultimatum, take the deal or enjoy playing elsewhere kid.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yea, its time for people to start realizing what Nylander is, a greedy little pr***k. None of this "looking out for myself" BS. Honestly at this point my opinion of him has changed forever. Even if he does sign, which to me looks more and more unlikely I will still not respect him for this stunt. 6 million dollars isn't good enough for him even though for two other players of comparable stats (Ehlers,Pastrnak) it was. Reeks of entitlement and it reeks of trouble. If it were up to me I'd have already given him an ultimatum, take the deal or enjoy playing elsewhere kid.

I would say enjoy the vacation. We're taking our time to find the best offer for you and if that means you sit the season at your own expense, so be it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I think he'd do it with an NTC (which they can't offer to an RFA).

Playing with Matthews is only good if you actually get to do it. Won't mean much if Dubas faces a cap crunch and sends Willy packing to Arizona.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Personally I don't know if my opinion of Nylander really changed during the negotiations, but for me it definitely changed prior to that when he wouldn't go into the corners vs Boston in the playoffs. Was surprised to see a guy not compete in a tight series like that.... and I think that'll be a long lasting impression. Being bad isn't a big deal in a small sample, but not being willing to get hit isn't temporary.

Here's hoping it was just a bad couple weeks.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
If it goes past the deadline and he isn’t playing this year you don’t think it affects his relationship with his teammates. That’s ridiculous? Sounds logically to me.

No I don't. They all know that it's a business. Unlike a lot of you, they can distinguish between the business side from the emotional side and don't have to get involved. None of you know anything about those relationships, absolutely jack all. What are they all going to do-not talk to him, shun him or perhaps have a collective stamp your feet episode?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It really is true. It just makes no sense to me.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would let him sit out the year, find gainful employment outside the league and let him build some hype and trade him later if it ever came to that. The December 1 deadline is so artificial and makes me laugh at some of the returns Sportsnet is throwing out there. Let him sit, let him make the case for being the "best player not in the NHL" while dominating in the KHL or something and make a decision next summer.

The other thing to consider too is that while Nylander can't rejoin the NHL after December 1, we could still probably deal him to a bottom feeder for a trade deadline return. For example, imagine a team like the St. Louis Blues were moving on from Alex Pietrangelo (to use an appealing star player) and are tanking for the 1st overall. They could still pick up Nylander in a futures package, not get any better to hurt their rebuild and tanking to boot or pay him the rest of the year.

For some resson today it finally pi$$ed me off that he is not signed and giving a great management team a negative perception.

He is not worth 8 million and Dubas is fair offering $6.5 that is reported if true but that is the reports.

Dubas is in the right range and Nylander and his representative are in the wrong range.

There might not be a team interested in that nonsense or dealing with this agent and Dubas will have to let him sit out the year.

Willy might be wise to fire that agent quick because before he knows what hit him soon enough, he will have forfeited 6.5 million and a year of his hockey career. I think Dubas will blow up a year if the return just is not there.

Wake up wee willy.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
For some resson today it finally pi$$ed me off that he is not signed and giving a great management team a negative perception.

He is not worth 8 million and Dubas is fair offering $6.5 that is reported if true but that is the reports.

Dubas is in the right range and Nylander and his representative are in the wrong range.

There might not be a team interested in that nonsense or dealing with this agent and Dubas will have to let him sit out the year.

Willy might be wise to fire that agent quick because before he knows what hit him soon enough, he will have forfeited 6.5 million and a year of his hockey career. I think Dubas will blow up a year if the return just is not there.

Wake up wee willy.
Willie can fire his agent, but he can't fire his father. He needs to grow up or he'll waste far more potential than his father ever had.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Heres one, I don't usually do well with these proposals and indulged in a newly fully legal substance, so if its terrible I understand

To LA Kings - William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + Eemeli Rassanen/Lesser D prospect

To Toronto - Tyler Toffoli + Jake Muzzin + rights to Slava Voynov if reinstated.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think he'd do it with an NTC (which they can't offer to an RFA).

Playing with Matthews is only good if you actually get to do it. Won't mean much if Dubas faces a cap crunch and sends Willy packing to Arizona.

Obviously Dubas can't 100% guarantee Nylander he won't be traded at some point, but is it all that likely that he'd be the one dealt due to a cap crunch, and to a low ranked team (whomever that team may be)?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Thinking outside the box here...but in lieu of a NTC which we know can't be offered - could a team offer a trade bonus clause where if a player is traded without his consent (player right to waive the clause) then a bonus is paid out? I'm guessing not or else we would have heard of it by now. Plus that space would need to be allocated.

There must be a monetary structure that would severely restrict teams from being able to take on a contract though. Max-front loading with max signing bonuses every year would effectively rule out the budget conscious bottom feeders.

Say ..

Year 1 - 10M
Year 2 - 10M
Year 3 - 8M
Year 4 - 8M
Year 5 - 6M
Year 6 - 6M
Year 7 - 5M
Year 8 - 5M

58M / 8

7.25 AAV

90% signing bonus July 1 every year.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
He is afraid of getting traded, he is afraid of physical contact in the playoffs, he is afraid that Matthews and Marner will make a lot more than him. What's he not afraid of? This guy is a joke and so are his father and agent.

Would be funny if Lewis Gross said get another agent kid or call me when Daddy takes off the training wheels.

If Nylander were to switch agents over this though that would certainly be entertaining to say the least. Allows a certain level of face-saving as well...

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I would say enjoy the vacation. We're taking our time to find the best offer for you and if that means you sit the season at your own expense, so be it.

I would have to agree with this. Many say the clock is ticking on the leafs and I say it isn't, it is ticking for the Nylander camp. Just like a lockout, a player will never recover the lost salary-it is simply gone. I have a hard time believing that Shanny and Kyle will just trade him for the sake of trading him. They will push to get equal or better value, not less. I'm in the camp that believes in the eleventh hour the Leafs will make a take it or leave it offer, if he says no, they will be willing to let it ride until the summer to deal with it. If another team tries and sign him, the Leafs will match and insert him in the lineup and WILL trade him to and when they feel it is right for them.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Heres one, I don't usually do well with these proposals and indulged in a newly fully legal substance, so if its terrible I understand

To LA Kings - William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + Eemeli Rassanen/Lesser D prospect

To Toronto - Tyler Toffoli + Jake Muzzin + rights to Slava Voynov if reinstated.
No thanks from me. I would prefer Kale Clague and/or Rasmus Kuparito be included in any deal with LA. Unless it is a pending UFA I wouldn't want a cap dump either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would have to agree with this. Many say the clock is ticking on the leafs and I say it isn't, it is ticking for the Nylander camp. Just like a lockout, a player will never recover the lost salary-it is simply gone. I have a hard time believing that Shanny and Kyle will just trade him for the sake of trading him. They will push to get equal or better value, not less. I'm in the camp that believes in the eleventh hour the Leafs will make a take it or leave it offer, if he says no, they will be willing to let it ride until the summer to deal with it. If another team tries and sign him, the Leafs will match and insert him in the lineup and WILL trade him to and when they feel it is right for them.

No way will they just trade him. If they do and say Matthews wants out for some reason, or say Kappy or Dermott, they know the easy way out. Forcing the player to sit sends a strong message to any and all would be dissenters. This team will not be strong armed or manipulated, fair and firm as they should be.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is afraid of getting traded, he is afraid of physical contact in the playoffs, he is afraid that Matthews and Marner will make a lot more than him. What's he not afraid of? This guy is a joke and so are his father and agent.

Unfortunate that he has made fans view him like this. Really Really bad decisions by Willy has caused him to be hated.

A well liked player that has executed himself in Toronto I'm betting. Very unfortunate and wow.

I still like him but i am just as frustrated as you are.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We might have to involve Mrs. Nylander to resolve this.

1. Willy will stay in his room and isn’t allowed to play with Mr.Gross.
2. Papa Michael gets no more Nylander luvin’ because she’s lost that loving feeling.

She may even throw in the odd “if only I’d gone with Borje” to really move this along.

Thoughts?

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Would be funny if Lewis Gross said get another agent kid or call me when Daddy takes off the training wheels.

If Nylander were to switch agents over this though that would certainly be entertaining to say the least. Allows a certain level of face-saving as well...

If he is returning, he has lots of pi$$ed off fans now. He better be prepared to be ate alive. Its getting to the point where I really don't want him to come back and be the whipping boy.

Digging a giant hole of disrespect to Leaf Nation isn't wise. He'll get ate alive.

I still like him but I'm afraid he has gained many fans that dislike hom now.

You won't even get a team interested when he wants $8 mill?????

Its stupid in epic proportions

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thinking outside the box here...but in lieu of a NTC which we know can't be offered - could a team offer a trade bonus clause where if a player is traded without his consent (player right to waive the clause) then a bonus is paid out? I'm guessing not or else we would have heard of it by now. Plus that space would need to be allocated.

There must be a monetary structure that would severely restrict teams from being able to take on a contract though. Max-front loading with max signing bonuses every year would effectively rule out the budget conscious bottom feeders.

Say ..

Year 1 - 10M
Year 2 - 10M
Year 3 - 8M
Year 4 - 8M
Year 5 - 6M
Year 6 - 6M
Year 7 - 5M
Year 8 - 5M

58M / 8

7.25 AAV

90% signing bonus July 1 every year.

I wouldn't doubt his camp will try something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad