Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
On a positive note, Dubas staying strong on Willy will likely have a positive impact on the AM / MM negotiations assuming the Leafs will offer them fair deals. AM and MM must be watching closely and will understand the strength of the Leafs / Dubas resolve.

Stay strong Dubas!!!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Dubas was smart he would now say Willie is an 8mil aav player and we cant sign him because of future cap issues and then trade him. Now he is going to get value for a 5-6 mil aav player because that what Dubas values him at. We will lose a Willie trade ... good take?

Last edited:

member 300185

what's amusing is how we can't sign him but half the league wants to trade for him which means they have no problem with his asking price
There are lots of teams with tons of cap right now. But yea, I agree.

member 300185

If we ever deal with LA, I want to ship Willie and Z out and bring in Doughty. Make the kings retain on his contract if they're willing.

Z and Willie will probably make about 12 total. We can absorb the Doughty 11 mil as long as Z goes the other way and we let Jake walk.

Dermott - Doughty
Rielly - Sandin
Borg/ Rosen/ Ozi - Lilly

That is a terrific D-core. All mobile D with good offensive instincts and excellent hockey IQ.
I like your enthusiasm but the bolded are still undeveloped.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
On a positive note, Dubas staying strong on Willy will likely have a positive impact on the AM / MM negotiations assuming the Leafs will offer them fair deals. AM and MM must be watching closely and will understand the strength of the Leafs / Dubas resolve.

Stay strong Dubas!!!
yup M&M and there agents are just shitting themselves at the thought of dealing with Dubas , lol

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
yup M&M and there agents are just ****ting themselves at the thought of dealing with Dubas , lol

I never said they are ****ting themselves. My point is that it should be clear that Dubas will not overpay so will not likely handle their negotiations like Willy.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Wait, people are thinking of Voynov?
He's never playing in the NHL again.

If he's cleared to return, he's almost certainly going to be suspended by the NHL for years (not just a single season) and will be utterly useless to everyone by the time he's eligible to return.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Willie can fire his agent, but he can't fire his father. He needs to grow up or he'll waste far more potential than his father ever had.

Haha i suppose yeah. Not sure on the Father stuff actually i have just read it here. Ultimately Willy is responsible for allowing his agent to go to this extent.

Greed is blind.

Last edited:

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Sit him 1 year? Why not 2?
The fact is he's young and has no leverage.

If he sits, he is still a huge asset the Leafs can use once they agree to a deal that makes sense. Consider him a long term investment while he brews in the KHL

With him sitting, this can open up cap space for short term rentals to help with their annual Stanley cup playoff runs.

If Dubas has any HAIRY balls, he needs to be PATIENT anf make him sit if need be.

Everyone gotta stop with the stupid ass trade lust as you wont get the value back that only leafs know he's worth. So everyone settle down.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If Dubas was smart he would now say Willie is an 8mil aav player and we cant sign him because of future cap issues and then trade him. Now he is going to get value for a 5-6 mil aav player because that what Dubas values him at. We will lose a Willie trade ... good take?
The rest of the league isn't stupid enough to think Nylander is worth 8x8, regardless of what Dubas says. Remember, Nylanders worth is NOT up for debate. There is a very finely established market value for 20 goal/60 point players by the end of their elc's.

The only people on the planet that are confused about Nylanders worth are: Nylander, his father, his agent, Hotpaws, Menzinger, and Mess.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The rest of the league isn't stupid enough to think Nylander is worth 8x8, regardless of what Dubas says. Remember, Nylanders worth is NOT up for debate. There is a very finely established market value for 20 goal/60 point players by the end of their elc's.

I read a tweet off someone yesterday, the Nylander group think Willie would be a center on any other team and Babcock is holding him back apparently. They dont think Ehlers is a comparable but draisaitl is.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I read a tweet off someone yesterday, the Nylander group think Willie would be a center on any other team and Babcock is holding him back apparently. They dont think Ehlers is a comparable but draisaitl is.
Yeah, Nylander is "held back" by playing on the first line with Matthews...

Where do these guys come up with this stuff?

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008

Wow... Willy is not worth anywhere close to 8M. Period.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Goodness.

I’m worried about “fans” like you when Willy ends up signing in the next couple weeks.
Relax with the entitlement there... I'm just as much a fan as you. I love this team and love watching willy, hes fantastic. What I have an issue with is where his priorities seem to be.

there's no way that 6.5 x 7 or something like that isn't on the table. Why has it gone this long... it has to be something insane on his end. If it really goes past December then itll be clear where his priorities lie. If hes asking for 8 and sticking to his guns then he clearly puts himself before the team.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Wait, people are thinking of Voynov?
He's never playing in the NHL again.

If he's cleared to return, he's almost certainly going to be suspended by the NHL for years (not just a single season) and will be utterly useless to everyone by the time he's eligible to return.
Cleared to return and then suspended?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Nylander was a big part of this plan going forward, but now that he won't be a leaf, that plan seems heavily de-railed.

They've been good this year, but something has still been - missing.

The team doesn't feel complete right now.

Can't quite put my finger on it though....

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What this is .... this is a thumb sucking contest.

Just like the old days before the internet. Before computers, if you can imagine that.

This is a good old fashion thumb sucking contest between a self-indulgent hockey player and a baby faced thumb sucking GM.

An epic duel!

I'm torn.

While the hour is getting late, and compromise could be in the works, make a deal and get on with the season - but we are going to miss this epic thumb sucking battle!

Just think about it ... if December 1 comes and goes without any resolution ... the thumb sucking will continue for at least another 12 months!

How great will that be! What a spectacle! Perhaps Commissioner Gary Bettman will join in with the thumb sucking (he looks like a serial thumb sucking commissioner) make it fun for the entire league.

So I don't know.

On one hand, the team can ice its best team and try to make a playoff run after finishing as high as possible in the standings.

Or on the other hand, we can watch the thumb sucking combatants do their thang for the next 12 months.

Seems to me to be a no brainier!

Thumb sucking rules the Leafs!

Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!

:naughty:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So what if Willie doesn't sign, and the Leafs don't trade him. He sits out for a year but doesn't get paid.

They then have that extra difference in cash on hand for players that need signing for next year. Not great for Willie, not great for the Leafs.

If Willie still doesn't sign next year for what he's offered next year, he sits out again in 2019.

Then Marleau is gone and Willie can be paid what he wants to fill in for Marleau, but what if Marleau retires for next year?

Also how long can the Leafs keep Nylander on the hook? What are the chances of Marleau retiring? He is 39.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Cleared to return and then suspended?

The NHL was in the process of investigation, with the outcome of a suspension likely, when he ran from the us and back to Russia. The process if clearing the way for his return is just so he can work in the us/Canada and in the NHL. Then he has to face the music from the NHL when he ran. Word from smart hockey men is that there would be a very heavy suspension if cleared.

Edit: he did not run from the US, he "self deported" after serving 2 months if a 3 month jail sentence.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander will sign somewere before 1Dec or on the day if thats the last chance. If he skips one year of NHL play, i will change my opinion and just accept that he is not that smart. Very talented, but not smart. But there are many days left until that happen.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Stay strong Dubas!!!

Why would the first overall pick’s next contract be impacted by a hardline stance on Nylander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad