Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm back!

... Sort of...

Actual depiction of us right now:

giphy.gif

KinMan

Jun 28, 2014
Dubas did say it was going to take longer than most fans would like. Maybe late November sign date was always part of the plan with all the meetings and discussion being for show to satisfy season ticket holders.
It's been frustrating from a fan's perspective but a stay in Toronto, and with no hard feelings, is still quite likely.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Isn't there some weird clause that the longer the holdout goes the less of a AAV cap hit over the durations of the deal? maybe that was the plan all along. lol

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Going on about the possibility that the Tavares signing has impacted the Nylander signed negatively.

I will give an example using Rielly.
Rielly has taken big steps in his development in recent years, both defensively and offensively. He has been able to do so because he has been given opportunities to be the go to guy on the backend and show case his abilities and polish them in high pressure situations. That is how you grow a player. And believe me, that will show when he signs his 3rd contract as the teams best defenseman, our #1.

Lets say for this example that it was Doughty we signed as a free agent instead of Tavares. That would have been great for not only the defense as a whole but still very good for Rielly. They could either be split up and carry an equal work load and thus both be given trusted roles on the team. Or they could be paired to form a super duo on D. This would be healthy competition for Rielly and it would not halter his development and ensure he would get his big payday at the end of the day seeing he would still get a lot of ice time and be used on the PP.

If we then also went out and traded for Erik Karlsson and gave him a long term deal things would change a lot for Rielly. He would then, despite his talents, be the teams #3 d-man and not be used is quite so many situations as he has been used irl or in the fictional example of Doughty signing with the Leafs. And when his contract is up in a couple of years, would he then resign with the Leafs seeing as it would be difficult for the Leafs to pay him much with two franchise defenders already signed. And he would most likely not have been given enough chances to showcase his skills and fine tune them in tough situations to be able to demand top dollars.

If you can understand that kind of reasoning you will understand my reasoning why I believe Nylander has not yet signed due to Tavares signed with us. He simply knows he has two franchise centers ahead of him for the center ice time that really matters if you want to be a star. And he knows he is not even the first choice rw as far as the coach goes.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Going on about the possibility that the Tavares signing has impacted the Nylander signed negatively.

Rielly has taken big steps in his development in recent years, both defensively and offensively. He has been able to do so because he has been given opportunities to be the go to guy on the backend and show case his abilities and polish them in high pressure situations. That is how you grow a player. And believe me, that will show when he signs his 3rd contract as the teams best defenseman, our #1.

Lets say for this example that it was Doughty we signed as a free agent instead of Tavares. That would have been great for not only the defense as a whole but still very good for Rielly. They could either be split up and carry an equal work load and thus both be given trusted roles on the team. Or they could be paired to form a super duo on D. This would be healthy competition for Rielly and it would not halter his development and ensure he would get his big payday at the end of the day seeing he would still get a lot of ice time and be used on the PP.

If we then also went out and traded for Erik Karlsson and gave him a long term deal things would change a lot for Rielly. He would then, despite his talents, be the teams #3 d-man and not be used is quite so many situations as he has been used irl or in the fictional example of Doughty signing with the Leafs. And when his contract is up in a couple of years, would he then resign with the Leafs seeing as it would be difficult for the Leafs to pay him much with two franchise defenders already signed. And he would most likely not have been given enough chances to showcase his skills and fine tune them in tough situations to be able to demand top dollars.

If you can understand that kind of reasoning you will understand my reasoning why I believe Nylander has not yet signed due to Tavares signed with us. He simply knows he has two franchise centers ahead of him for the center ice time that really matters if you want to be a star. And he knows he is not even the first choice rw as far as the coach goes.
It doesn't square with the reports that says he wants to remain a leaf. It is possible he is saying that to hide the truth and limit the backlash but why go through this dog and pony show about money when he could have easily and quietly asked for a trade, maintain his value and the value of him to the maple leafs. He has only damaged everyone involved except for the team that will acquire him

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Finally thread #29. It's finally going to be over...

I'm disappointed the lack of Nylander's number reference in the title.

In reality we randomly skipped 2 numbers from 16 to 19 so it's actually going to be until the real 29th thread, thread #31 before he signs :(

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To the people that say "oh it's just business" well it's not anymore. There is something deeper going on. I don't see how the Leafs and Willy can have a good relationship now.

Reactions: rumman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Interesting thoughts, there may well be something to this.

It doesn't square with the reports that says he wants to remain a leaf. It is possible he is saying that to hide the truth and limit the backlash but why go through this dog and pony show about money when he could have easily and quietly asked for a trade, maintain his value and the value of him to the maple leafs. He has only damaged everyone involved except for the team that will acquire him

Perhaps he has conflicting thoughts. On one hand he wants to remain a Leaf but on the other hand, Tavares being here might make this situation somewhat less attractive in some ways. It's possible.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
When is it time to trade him for a Defenceman? If we have this issue with Willy then we may run into it with Mitch and auston. Get a solid defenceman and open up money for the other two... win win situation.

Reactions: djpunkrog

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

I do think he wants to be a Leaf for several reasons. First of all he has a lot of friends on the team and secondly, he knows the team is going places. And despite Babcock giving him though love I reckon he is actually used to be coached that way and can deal with it. I dont think his father have held back when he has coached him privately. Just a hunch.

But he is not alone in this so I guess his father and agent is the ones who paint the picture of the future with him on the Leafs and on a different team were he is the main guy or one of the main guys. He might of course feel a bit slighted for the lack of trust in him as a future center on the team considering how they have developed him into becoming one over the years since he was drafted.
And it might very well be the case that if the Leafs by signing Tavares limits his chances to put up points for the team and thus possibly limiting the size of his 3rd contract he wants to get paid a bit more now.

Or he simply value him self a bit more then the Leafs value him. :dunno:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Finally thread #29. It's finally going to be over...

I'm disappointed the lack of Nylander's number reference in the title.

In reality we randomly skipped 2 numbers from 16 to 19 so it's actually going to be until the real 29th thread, thread #31 before he signs :(
If it goes by threads I’m glad Marner is no. 16 but sad that Matthews is no. 34.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Interesting thoughts, there may well be something to this.

Perhaps he has conflicting thoughts. On one hand he wants to remain a Leaf but on the other hand, Tavares being here might make this situation somewhat less attractive in some ways. It's possible.

I remember when he was about to be drafted he was interviewed about his favorite players. He said Patrick Kane and John Tavares. And Tavares signing with the Leafs is probably both the best and worst thing that could have happened to his career. I find it a bit ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad