Nylander Chronicles XXIX - The Walking Dead Version

Willy Stay Or Willy Go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Joe said no later than Thanksgiving lol

They came up with the Tavares contract in less than a day. If they have agreed on term and dollars no reason why it should take so long to come up with the rest. I can understand why they might want to delay, but with AM out we need Willie in the lineup more IMO. TB is deep up front, on D and in goal. Unless they stumble or are burnt out in the playoffs we need home ice advantage. Then again, the way we have played at home and on the road, maybe not :)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
According to the table, the cap hit is less in years 2+. Not sure what you are asking. What I was thinking is that if he signs, he will only be making say $3M in year 1 which means he is not losing as much as if he was holding out and this was year 6 of he contract when he is paid say 8M.

I also think 7x7 would be the numbers if he signs Dec 1. This gives a cap hit around 6.7 in years 2+ which seems where Leafs might want to be capwise.

On a 7 yr 7.5 mill contract The sum of cap hit is greater than the actual contract by roughly 950k. And Willy only gets roughly 50 million of the 52.5 mill

Both the team and the player are paying a premium in year 1.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The funny thing in this entire saga has been the so called trade rumours - i can tell you for a fact that no GM in the league has offered to trade for Nylander - there is an unwrtitten rule(ole boys club) that you don't offer-sheet or try and acquire a RFA via a trade if that RFA is withholding services - these trade rumours are leaked to the media to give the illusion that there is no collusion amongst the leagues GM's

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't we acquire Philadelphia Kessel whilst he was RFA and holding out? I guess I could google it but I know I'll be corrected quick right here.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
nylander doesn't care if he's a part of that, not in toronto, and not anywhere else

he just cares that he gets his money
What happens if Boston trades Kessel and he turns into an 80 point, 30 goal scorer?
And Boston wins the Cup?
It takes a team to win the Cup and no Nylander either way does us no good.
If he won’t accept the deal, then get a package in here that can help the excellent core we have.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
They came up with the Tavares contract in less than a day. If they have agreed on term and dollars no reason why it should take so long to come up with the rest. I can understand why they might want to delay, but with AM out we need Willie in the lineup more IMO. TB is deep up front, on D and in goal. Unless they stumble or are burnt out in the playoffs we need home ice advantage. Then again, the way we have played at home and on the road, maybe not :)
Leafs are not trading Nylander, i can tell you that much - second, even if they were, a divisional rival is the LAST team he would get traded to

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs are not trading Nylander, i can tell you that much - second, even if they were, a divisional rival is the LAST team he would get traded to
They will trade him to whoever offers the best return. Like any trade you would prefer to go outside your division but only if all things are equal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nylander is a fantastic hockey player, I really hope they work this out and he's back to doing what he does best soon! Let's not forget that he's not the first player to hold out and he won't be the last so this isn't even close to being the end of the world, at least not yet. :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What happens if Boston trades Kessel and he turns into an 80 point, 30 goal scorer?
And Boston wins the Cup?
It takes a team to win the Cup and no Nylander either way does us no good.
If he won’t accept the deal, then get a package in here that can help the excellent core we have.

Agreed 100% thats the only way Leafs win this, and if they force Nylander out of the NHL this season essentially shooting themselves in their own Cup competitive foot in the process than a Stanley Cup season is the only way out to validate that decision.

Trading Nylander and then using that return to win it all makes the trade look like a genius move by Leafs management.

Everything else like trying to get Nylander lockup up long-term as a 60 point player only, and then dealing him away and crying over spilt milk when Nylander puts up 75-85 points is on management for misreading player potential and stubbornly enforcing its my way or the highway strategy to the determent of the team.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
fs win this, and if they force Nylander out of the NHL this season essentially shooting themselves in their own Cup competitive foot in the process than a Stanley Cup season is the only way out to validate that decision.

Trading Nylander and then using that return to win it all makes the trade look like a genius move by Leafs management.

The only person "forcing" Nylander out of the league this season, is Willie himself.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Canes are is the same conference, not same division. Lots of trade partners in the West as well.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
TB are deep up front, on D and strong in goal. If we want to beat them, we need all the weapons we can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad