Friedman: Nylander and Theodore updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Andersen has been the Leafs MVP during the reg season for the last two years.......yes he's been more important then AM to the team success. This past playoffs his play was below his reg season play......he wasn't horrible but he wasn't great either......but then again the Leafs defensive hockey during that series wasn't great either so he didn't have the greatest support. He's not a top five goalie by any means, but he absolutely is in the top half of the NHL goalies overall.
Absolutely in the top half yes, definitely not top five and also not great.
Which was the point, now may he turn out to be great? Maybe, we will see but has be been? Not in my opinion and unless great means less than it should he has not been that.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Frederick Andersen is a pretty great goaltender. I thought it was great when he was voted 4th for the Vezina, not as great as 1st would of been but great nonetheless. Great, great, great.

It would be great to get any updates on Theodore and Nylander.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I could say Pastrnak got his money earlier than Nylander and could have invested it better and making more in the long run.

Two sides to everything buddy. So do the nhl teams.
Hey buddy, the kid is gonna get paid...agents don't care, wait til next summer, Marner will have them out of their minds...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Frederick Andersen is a pretty great goaltender. I thought it was great when he was voted 4th for the Vezina, not as great as 1st would of been but great nonetheless. Great, great, great.

Very good goalie, and has been the backbone so to speak in getting the Leafs to the playoffs....luckily he is locked up at a reasonable cap hit...the cap is going to get tough to manage with the results these guys have given the Leafs.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
For sure...........everything that happens in Jersey happens in TO.............just ask everyone's dad!! lol

There are discounts and overpayments. No reason to say we know which end Nylander will be on or if he ends up in the middle.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I can't tell if Leafs fans think Andersen is really a top 5 goalie, or if the D isn't as bad as everyone says because "they keeps shots to the outside".

I suspect its more of the former than the latter by a lot. Problem with Andersen is that he has some of that Fleury disease... he can steal games for you... or give them away like these past playoffs. We have not seen Andersen be "good Andersen" in the playoffs, but you have to suspect its there. Just gotta get lucky.

Back to the real topic... I'm shocked Theodore isn't signed, yet. Someone must be holding out for longterm vs a bridge so the WPG and EDM deals don't mean crap.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
theodore for nylander swap :sarcasm:

this could be a golden opportunity to get another potential high end d-man! Theodore or find a team that's willing to pay Willie what he wants and take a very good d-man in return. (Nashville for Josi, then sign long term?)

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Seriously? These kids are gonna get paid...every other team has to pay their kids, why not the Leafs? It has nothing to do with the kids dad and his former agent..................it's the kid himself, and his current agent.
Because in no way in hell nylander is worth his 8.5m he's asking for. His comparables are at 6.25 to 7

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I can't tell if Leafs fans think Andersen is really a top 5 goalie, or if the D isn't as bad as everyone says because "they keeps shots to the outside".

I suspect its more of the former than the latter by a lot.

Andersen can't beat Pickard in preseason games so far.

What does it say about Vegas who traded Pickard for peanuts.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
In recent years, some people preferred Sidney Crosby and some preferred Pavel Datsyuk to Sidney Crosby. For some, Datsyuk's best years were as good as any player's during his time in the NHL and yet, Datsyuk never led the league in points. He was simply a peerless talent according to his peers given the the obvious display of two-way talent he demonstrated season after season.

IF Auston Matthews is becoming that type of player, I think the smart money is on generalizing Leafs fans in a way that reflects the positive comparisons that might be drawn to a player like Datsyuk rather than to a different player like Crosby or even McDavid.

The point is, you're preferring an imaginary narrative as is, so why not prefer the one that has a chance of passing off as conceivably truthful rather than the one meant to project hatred towards the Leafs and their fans simply because you do?

Lol here we go again.
Leafs fans:
1. "we don't think Matthews is better than McDavid!"

2. "...... butttt some people say Datsyuk is better than Crosby... therefore Matthews is Datsyuk and McDavid is the new Crosby... and Matthew could be better than McDavid"

Reactions: TS Quint

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Lol here we go again.
Leafs fans:
1. "we don't think Matthews is better than McDavid!"

2. "...... butttt some people say Datsyuk is better than Crosby... therefore Matthews is Datsyuk and McDavid is the new Crosby... and Matthew could be better than McDavid"

Not what he said at all, but good attempt on instigating a drawn out argument. I'd love if moderators could keep people like you out the thread so I might actually enjoy a post about Nylander or Theodore.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

I suspect its more of the former than the latter by a lot. Problem with Andersen is that he has some of that Fleury disease... he can steal games for you... or give them away like these past playoffs. We have not seen Andersen be "good Andersen" in the playoffs, but you have to suspect its there. Just gotta get lucky.

Back to the real topic... I'm shocked Theodore isn't signed, yet. Someone must be holding out for longterm vs a bridge so the WPG and EDM deals don't mean crap.
I would suspect it has something to do with that the Leafs played a 118 (55 wins/3rd in GF) and a 112 point (50 wins/6th in GF) team in the first round the last two years in the playoffs. A lot of folks (not you specifically) seem to forget that when looking back at the Leafs playoff stumbles the last two years. They've played pretty much the strongest team in the East each year in the 1st round.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Neither is McDavid.

Well, we haven't had a player that has changed the game, smashed records or are singlehandedly the catalyst for rule changes since the Gretzky era

2xArt Ross in first 3 seasons not generational?

So essentially what you guys are saying is Matthews isn't generational therefore no one else - not Crosby, not McDavid is generational cause of butthurt feelings.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not what he said at all, but good attempt on instigating a drawn out argument. I'd love if moderators could keep people like you out the thread so I might actually enjoy a post about Nylander or Theodore.

This is the argument every single time. Leafs fans will say how ridiculous it is that anyone would think Leafs fans insinuate that Matthews is better than McDavid, then proceed to give stupid reason after stupid reason why Matthews is better than McDavid without actually saying it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

So essentially what you guys are saying is Matthews isn't generational therefore no one else - not Crosby, not McDavid is generational cause of ******** feelings.
I am only one guy. What do you think a generational player is? Is there an exact definition? I think McDavid is the best player in the NHL right now.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013

So essentially what you guys are saying is Matthews isn't generational therefore no one else - not Crosby, not McDavid is generational cause of ******** feelings.
This is the argument every single time. Leafs fans will say how ridiculous it is that anyone would think Leafs fans insinuate that Matthews is better than McDavid, then proceed to give stupid reason after stupid reason why Matthews is better than McDavid without actually saying it.

[mod]

Btw, Crosby was much better than McDavid, with and without the puck, it's an apples to oranges argument. And not one to be had in here anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad