Friedman: Nylander and Theodore updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
So the Leafs could grind him down to 6.75 instead of 7? Is it really worth the drama, speculation, hard feelings and watching Nylander miss valuable camp/preseason time over $250k-$500k?

In my opinion, yes. They still have two big fish on the line that they still have to get in the boat. If they hold firm on their number, if I'm Marner's agent, I come to the table next summer with *very* realistic expectations.

And Tavares is a totally different situation, he was holding all of the cards.Leafs hold all the cards in this situation.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ok, fair enough.

A bridge deal might be the solution. Obviously that's what happened with Morrissey/Nurse when negotiations on a long-term deal weren't working.

Long-term deal is ideal for the Leafs, but a bridge deal is still fine.

If a bridge deal is the solution for the current situation, you have to wonder about future contracts. How easy or hard will future contracts be? And, what will the relationship and mood be like when Nylander gets to his UFA deal assuming it gets that far?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
6.75 x 7

Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner7
Engvall0.925Matthews11Nylander6.75
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Kapanen1.75
Leivo1.1Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Grundstrom0.925
Rielly5Karlsson11
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen2Ozhiganov1.3
Borgman1.3Holl0.675
Andersen5
Pickard1
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Uhh, so you 'dumped' Zaitsev to who exactly? and that defence...even with Karlsson and Reilly there, cannot cover up the fact they are still Bottom 10 in the league. If Ottawa's defence with Karlsson is bottom 10 still, Toronto's would be just a smidge higher than Ottawa defense-wise. And this is assuming the cap goes up 3M more in the next 2 years. Not very realistic IMO.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Do Leafs Fans really believe that their whole LW are worth in Total 6M ?
what will happen when the whole league will understand to shutdown your middle and right side ? your left side is a joke.
That’s how a team with multiple franchise centers do it like PIT; have one good winger and an entry level winger.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
If Marner has anything over 65 points next season he will and should get 8+ if he signs for 8 years. Cap is going up and signing for 8 years buys a lot of UFA years. Same goes for Nylander in terms of signing for 8 years, fully understand if he wants 7+ if he signs an eight year deal.
The price goes up for every UFA year they sign for. Might actually be smart to sign them both to a little shorter contracts to keep the cap hit down a little and make it easier to contend in the next 4-6 years. Will hurt them in 6 years when they need new contracts but a lot can change in 6 years
And if he gets 60 point again?

He was on the third line previously, now his line will be the main focus of teams. It’s not guaranteed he will reach 70+.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Uhh, so you 'dumped' Zaitsev to who exactly? and that defence...even with Karlsson and Reilly there, cannot cover up the fact they are still Bottom 10 in the league. If Ottawa's defence with Karlsson is bottom 10 still, Toronto's would be just a smidge higher than Ottawa defense-wise. And this is assuming the cap goes up 3M more in the next 2 years. Not very realistic IMO.
Are 35 point 4.5m rhd in demand? Yes.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yes, both Rielly and Gardiner put up 50+ points this year. Those are extremely strong offensive numbers. If you had actually watched the playoffs, you would know that the Leafs were abused on the right side, where everyone is aware our d-men on that side are not stellar.

You're crazy if you think that teams are going to be able to shut down that depth in the middle/right-wing. Absolutely nuts. Teams had trouble shutting the Leafs down last year, and that was without adding a top-10 center. The issue is too many folks watched a total of 7 games of the Leafs last year where they played one of the strongest and hottest teams in the league beat the Leafs in 7 games - and they assume that they have the Leafs figured out.
By the time it’s all said and done in the off-season the Leafs were at net zero. They still have very good offense with very bad defense.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What does the Leaf's defense and improvements from last season have to do with Nylander and Theodore's contracts?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If a bridge deal is the solution for the current situation, you have to wonder about future contracts. How easy or hard will future contracts be? And, what will the relationship and mood be like when Nylander gets to his UFA deal assuming it gets that far?
We can’t be too concerned about Willie 5 years from now. We have a 5 year window anyway. Is Willie worried about us now?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes, if you looked the Odds at the start of the Serie, they were favored by a small margin
Betting odds are based on what will make the odds makers money....so obviously the Leafs aren't going to be dogs on the books because then Leaf fans will flood them. That's not how they make money and that is all they are in it for.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
6.75 x 7

Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner7
Engvall0.925Matthews11Nylander6.75
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Kapanen1.75
Leivo1.1Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Grundstrom0.925
Rielly5Karlsson11
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen2Ozhiganov1.3
Borgman1.3Holl0.675
Andersen5
Pickard1
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Did not know Melker Karlsson could play D, or you assuming Erik Karlsson would only want 11 mil? Should he not earn a boatload of more then Tavares, since he can say: I´m the best at my position, and a carry my team to conference final, while Tavares has done nothing close to that?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Did not know Melker Karlsson could play D, or you assuming Erik Karlsson would only want 11 mil? Should he not earn a boatload of more then Tavares, since he can say: I´m the best at my position, and a carry my team to conference final, while Tavares has done nothing close to that?
why would Tavares be a comparable as opposed to Doughty? Leafs aren't getting Karlsson either way though

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Yes, if you looked the Odds at the start of the Serie, they were favored by a small margin

If your talking vegas or betting lines you have to change how you view them when 1 team has a very large rabid fan base. Since betting odds aren't set by who they actually think will win, they are set to balance the betting between the 2 teams. So when 1 team has a much larger fan base, the line shifts towards that team a bit to try and get smart betters to balance out the homer bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad