Friedman: Nylander and Theodore updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Western teams play a different style of game mostly, the best team in the East last year points wise gave up more goals than the Leafs as did the Stanley Cup champions...fact.
Are you trying to say that the Western teams play more defensively, thus allowing fewer goals ?

If so, you're wrong.

The Western teams scored an average of 244 goals per team last season.

The Eastern teams scored an average of 242.25 goals per team last season.

Fact.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Are you trying to say that the Western teams play more defensively, thus allowing fewer goals ?

If so, you're wrong.

Fact.

The bottom feeder East teams had some putrid offensive numbers to bring down the averages.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

If so, you're wrong.

Fact.

Show me the defensive stats......let's see if your narrative works there. Here I did it for ya....

9 of the top 10 teams in terms of GA came from the West, only team that cracked that was the Bruins. 10 of 12...guess who was the next East team.....the Leafs.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't get this whole dispute and stand-off, really. I mean, let's use some logic here... the only window we are looking at is 6-8 per for Nylander. Everyone on earth knows he's at the very least worth 6 mil a pop, and the opposite extreme is that he is worth 8, considering Draisaitl signed for 8.5 a while ago.

So, if we assume there is a 2 million "grey area" (between 6-8), how hard is it for the two sides to sit down and say, "fine, let's meet in the middle and settle on 7?"

There's no way the Leafs should realistically expect to get him for 6 and there's no way Nylander should realistically expect 8. So, this entire delay, dog-and-pony show, for what?? So the Leafs could grind him down to 6.75 instead of 7? Is it really worth the drama, speculation, hard feelings and watching Nylander miss valuable camp/preseason time over $250k-$500k?

The Leafs sure had no problem pulling out all the stops to "wow" Tavares. Take care of your own kid now. If both parties want Nylander to stay in Toronto for a long time, I can't believe this is dragging on this long. Not to mention the posturing by the Leafs (we have a solution in Ennis, and a long-term solution in SDA, etc.) Showcasing and signing "similar players" is theater being used by the Leafs IMO to send the hint that Nylander can be replaced.

These contract standoffs are an unfortunate part of the business. I just don't think it should take this long to come to terms with a young player whom you consider an integral part of your elite core.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
I wouldnt be surprised if nylander was traded in a couple of days. i doubt the leafs would want this to carry into the season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't get this whole dispute and stand-off, really. I mean, let's use some logic here... the only window we are looking at is 6-8 per for Nylander. Everyone on earth knows he's at the very least worth 6 mil a pop, and the opposite extreme is that he is worth 8, considering Draisaitl signed for 8.5 a while ago.

So, if we assume there is a 2 million "grey area" (between 6-8), how hard is it for the two sides to sit down and say, "fine, let's meet in the middle and settle on 7?"

There's no way the Leafs should realistically expect to get him for 6 and there's no way Nylander should realistically expect 8. So, this entire delay, dog-and-pony show, for what?? So the Leafs could grind him down to 6.75 instead of 7? Is it really worth the drama, speculation, hard feelings and watching Nylander miss valuable camp/preseason time over $250k-$500k?

The Leafs sure had no problem pulling out all the stops to "wow" Tavares. Take care of your own kid now. If both parties want Nylander to stay in Toronto for a long time, I can't believe this is dragging on this long. Not to mention the posturing by the Leafs (we have a solution in Ennis, and a long-term solution in SDA, etc.) Showcasing and signing "similar players" is theater being used by the Leafs IMO to send the hint that Nylander can be replaced.

These contract standoffs are an unfortunate part of the business. I just don't think it should take this long to come to terms with a young player whom you consider an integral part of your elite core.

I think the term is the sticking point. Nylander probably wants a one or two-year bridge deal where as Toronto wants to lock up him for 5+ years.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not to mention the posturing by the Leafs (we have a solution in Ennis, and a long-term solution in SDA, etc.) Showcasing and signing "similar players" is theater being used by the Leafs IMO to send the hint that Nylander can be replaced.

what in the world...

They're not similar players, if anything they're both much more like Marner. Unless by similar you meant "skilled" in which case, yeah the team values those type of guys.

What exactly are they supposed to do? They have to play someone on the Matthews line. If anything Ennis is clearly an emergency fill-in, he's a LW making the minimum playing on Matthews RW. Putting someone like Kapanen there would seem to be more threatening as a long-term answer.

Every team "showcases" their prospects by playing them in exhibitions. They're not doing anything different from any other team with a holdout. If it seems like "theatre" it's only because they have the largest spotlight on a team that everyone is fascinated by, cultivating a captive audience that can invent dramatics from the mundane.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Both sides want 6-8 year deals.

Exactly. Both parties want a long-term deal. The sticking point is money. Leafs are pointing to Ehlers' 6 mil deal (who signed previously) and Nylander is looking at Draisaitl's 8.5. So, meet in the damn middle and call it a day. The Bruins, Avs, Oil, Jets didn't seem to have these problems with Pastrnak, MacKinnon, Draisaitl and Ehlers. If Nylander is a core piece, you don't play around.

These whole contract "negotiations" are silly anyway. I mean, come on, you can buy a freaking house in 24 hours and it's taking the Leafs and Nylander all this time to agree on a "fair" contract? The posturing and drama that goes on with these is a joke quite honestly.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I don't think he wants to sign a long-term deal until Matthews signs his. Same with Marner, and I think he'll be holding out, too, next offseason.

I agree. Matthews will be locked up for certain early. Marner may be tough, I expect a hold-out for sure. I'm guessing he's gonna want around 8-10mil and the Leafs will proabably want him around 7.5.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Exactly. Both parties want a long-term deal. The sticking point is money. Leafs are pointing to Ehlers' 6 mil deal (who signed previously) and Nylander is looking at Draisaitl's 8.5. So, meet in the damn middle and call it a day. The Bruins, Avs, Oil, Jets didn't seem to have these problems with Pastrnak, MacKinnon, Draisaitl and Ehlers. If Nylander is a core piece, you don't play around.

These whole contract "negotiations" are silly anyway. I mean, come on, you can buy a freaking house in 24 hours and it's taking the Leafs and Nylander all this time to agree on a "fair" contract? The posturing and drama that goes on with these is a joke quite honestly.

The drama of playing their recent draft pick in a preseason game...do the Leafs have no shame?

Kucherov, Ristolainen, Ellis and Gaudreau all signed in October as RFA's. Gaudreau even has the same agent, hmm. I guess they're not core pieces to their teams. Why would these teams negotiate instead of just accepting their players demands like the Oilers did with Draisatl? It's a mystery.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
6.75 x 7

Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner7
Engvall0.925Matthews11Nylander6.75
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Kapanen1.75
Leivo1.1Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Grundstrom0.925
Rielly5Karlsson11
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen2Ozhiganov1.3