Friedman: Nylander and Theodore updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Elliot Friedman on Sportsnet 650

I will post the link to podcaat as soon as sportsnet puts it up.

Re : Theodore.

Vegas has given him 2 offers 1 bridge and 1 long term. Theodore camp is no pleased with either.

Re: William Nylander

2 camps not even close or in same ballpark. He also expressed that as of yesterday the word is Toronto still isnt actively looking to trade Nylander but things change in a hurry and he might not have the most up to date info on the situation.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm sure Theodore wants 4m at least, or something similar to what Hanifin got but how much can you offer a guy after just one year?

and speaking of Friedman, did he fall asleep on a beach with a blanket over his face?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Honestly, cannot think of a quality RHD who may be or become available for Nylander... maybe Carolina would move someone but idk if Faulk is good enough.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Really makes you wonder what exactly Nylander is being offered/wants. The market is pretty set that it should be 6-6.5 for 5 or 6 years.

He doesn't want to sign for $6 million, then have Matthews sign for $12 million. He's not as good as Matthews, but his value on the ice isn't 50% less. It's the same thing with Draisaitl and McDavid.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Really makes you wonder what exactly Nylander is being offered/wants. The market is pretty set that it should be 6-6.5 for 5 or 6 years.
If I had to guess, the Leafs are probably offering in the low 6's over 6 or 7 years and Nylanders camp is probably in the high 6's over 6 or 7 years.

This contract is pretty important for the Leafs cause its gonna have a domino effect, and Nylanders agent typically waits things out, so I imagine its going to be a while before one side blinks.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He doesn't want to sign for $6 million, then have Matthews sign for $12 million. He's not as good as Matthews, but his value on the ice isn't 50% less. It's the same thing with Draisaitl and McDavid.

Well sure, but Draisaitl is widely considered to be overpaid (plus is a centre plus had a 77 point season when he signed). ~60 point winger RFAs coming directly off their ELC get ~6-6.3M on a long-term deal. If Nylander is asking for 7M+, he IS being unreasonable.

If that's what he wants, he should go after a bridge deal, and try and prove that he's worth that money.

One thing to note though is that Nylander's agent, Lewis Gross, took Gaudreau and Krug RFA negotiations to the end of September/start of October. So this might mostly be the agent, and not the player.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

If Matthews signs in the 11-12 range it will be for 8 years not 5. I doubt they are offering him a contract that would be the equivalent to 50% less than what Matthews will get

Reactions: HeckLa Bud

Jun 15, 2007
If I had to guess, the Leafs are probably offering in the low 6's over 6 or 7 years and Nylanders camp is probably in the high 6's over 6 or 7 years.

This contract is pretty important for the Leafs cause its gonna have a domino effect, and Nylanders agent typically waits things out, so I imagine its going to be a while before one side blinks.

That can't be it because that's close. Friedman is specifically saying they're not close.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Well sure, but Draisaitl is widely considered to be overpaid (plus is a centre plus had a 77 point season when he signed). ~60 point winger RFAs coming directly off their ELC get ~6-6.3M on a long-term deal. If Nylander is asking for 7M+, he IS being unreasonable.

If that's what he wants, he should go after a bridge deal, and try and prove that he's worth that money.

One thing to note though is that Nylander's agent, Lewis Gross, took Gaudreau and Krug RFA negotiations to the end of September/start of October. So this might mostly be the agent, and not the player.

My point is I don't think Nylander wants to sign a long-term deal until Matthews signs his. I don't think the Leafs want to offer a bridge deal because they know Nylander's cost will only go up. They want to lock all these players down now.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

That doesn’t fit the narrative that the two sides are not in the same ballpark which has been consistently reported. That would be easy to settle upon 6X6.5 which most think is fair.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Leafs aren't just negotiating Nylander here, they are setting the tone for Marner and Matthews deals as well.

Seems like they have the same number most sensible people would peg it at: 6-6.5M over 6-7 years. It sounds like Nylander wants something similar to Draisatl. I'd much rather play hard ball then give into that kind of contract, especially for Nylander.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Surprised dubas is talking to elliot and nick so willy nilly about stuff- pun intended.
But fr though doesnt sound close at all bw the two camps. Dubas knows he has leverage and is using it..so basically imo after that interview seems that the leafs are ok with him sitting out and wont budge on their offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad