News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
if that's true he "ll be dealt ,although many think he miss 3 months over 900 k net .
kinda silly

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Playing catch up during the middle of the season is hard, I bet. Is a few extra 100s thousands dollars really worth it to lose games you will never get back? Play catch up pretty much all season? Damage some of your reputation, perhaps irreparably?

He got all of his money- 17 million by July 1st, in the words of Laremy Tunsil, I’d have to say yeah...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I wonder whether Nylander said that tongue in cheek. I have little doubt that the holdout was financially beneficial for him (and the team) putting excess cap hit into this season along with frontloading the contract. One or both of Marner/Matthews signing a similarly frontloaded deal on December 1st, 2019 would probably be Nylander's ticket out of town.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But if he were honest he would say something more along the lines of... I leveraged the cap the team had available at the time and beat them in a battle of attrition. I got approximately 1m per year over what the initial offer was, and so, financially I made a good choice (And so can you).

Matthews will be signed by noon July 1st.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I wonder whether Nylander said that tongue in cheek. I have little doubt that the holdout was financially beneficial for him (and the team) putting excess cap hit into this season along with frontloading the contract. One or both of Marner/Matthews signing a similarly frontloaded deal on December 1st, 2019 would probably be Nylander's ticket out of town.
Nope

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs don't have the luxary of cap space and frontloaded heavy cap hits in year #1 by delaying signings so its imparative that Leafs get both done before season starts.

So unlike Nylander, Leafs management can't wait the players out because their cap hit AAV are going to be bad enough as it is..

Reactions: IPS

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Or he doesn't give a crap about Matthews or Marner and he's now working over Dubas to prevent himself from getting traded.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Not bad advice. Whole process was probably stressful for Willie.

If fans were crapping their paints at the final hour, i'm sure he was too.

Lot of stress to carry around for 2 months at the end of the day.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Nylander looks pretty idiotic making that comment.

Not really. Aside from the money / business aspect his name, skill set and family reputation have been openly criticized in public by virtually everyone. That itself is an unnecessary stress when your already being judged and scrutinized for every move you make on the ice which has followed you into your personal life.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leafs don't have the luxary of cap space and frontloaded heavy cap hits in year #1 by delaying signings so its imparative that Leafs get both done before season starts.

So unlike Nylander, Leafs management can't wait the players out because their cap hit AAV are going to be bad enough as it is..
Last offseason was 100% the time to get Marner and Matthews done...

I'm stuck wondering if Dubas actually tried to roll the dice hard enough with them. He might have been too caught up with the Nylander negotiation.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nothing earth shattering there at all. Can't imagine a player or team ever wants negotiations to last into the season, much less minutes until the "deadline". Missing training camp, preseason and regular season games. May or may not have been worth it financially; tough to know for sure.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Playing catch up during the middle of the season is hard, I bet. Is a few extra 100s thousands dollars really worth it to lose games you will never get back? Play catch up pretty much all season? Damage some of your reputation, perhaps irreparably?

I suspect he didn’t lose $100s of thousands.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I got my contract ...you guys don't miss time I don't want to play on a worse team.

Seems sorta selfish.
I see as it him saying going through the whole process wasn't worth it and if he had to do again, he'd get a deal done before the season. People learn from their mistakes, that what it looks like both Nylander and Dubas are doing.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Nylander looks pretty idiotic making that comment.

i don't think so, clearly he wanted to play. I'm sorry but some people have no idea what a negotiation is like. The player isn't sitting there running point. The agent is doing everything. I'm sure Nylander if it were up to him would have signed way earlier. But his agent and his dad probably told him to keep holding on because he would get paid higher. The agent runs point on negotiations, not the players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
i don't think so, clearly he wanted to play. I'm sorry but some people have no idea what a negotiation is like. The player isn't sitting there running point. The agent is doing everything. I'm sure Nylander if it were up to him would have signed way earlier. But his agent and his dad probably told him to keep holding on because he would get paid higher. The agent runs point on negotiations, not the players.
Yes, safe to say no one here has negotiated an NHL contract.
If he wanted to sign earlier he could have signed earlier, like he's advising his teammates to do.

If the Agent is in total control than perhaps Nyander should have addressed the agent with his comment.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Did you miss what his own agent said on Leafs lunch?

When everything is so tight-lipped, everyone starts to speculate and wonder what is going on. How much in control was William Nylander was this? How much was this idea and him sticking to his principles? Obviously, you always rely on a parent for advice and information, but how much of this was Willy leading the charge?
Gross
: It really was Willy leading the charge. I don’t think anyone could do this if someone else was driving the bus. If someone is telling you to stay home, how many sleepless nights are you going to have and you are hoping this person is giving you the right advice? This has to come from yourself. This has to be an internal decision. This was not Michael driving the bus. This was not me driving the bus. This was Willy.

It was Willy that chose to sit, and then 2 weeks after signing his advice has flip flopped when it comes to Matthews and Marner. I gotta agree with ACC, pretty dumb comment, especially right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00