News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Matthews is good, but he's not McDavid good...I've watched quite a few Oilers games, and McDavid is carrying the Oilers on his back consistently. Pay him $11 million per and I'm happy, though I'd rather it be $10.5 million.

Did you watch the game tonight? 4 points for Matthews, is that McDavid good?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Seven two goal games so far tnis year, is that McDavid good?

If only the Oilers had our supporting cast behind McDavid: 305 pts in 243 games still. Don't get me wrong, I like Matthews, he's a great player, and I hope he's a Leaf for life, but McDavid is better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sorry I was thinking something else.

Didn't Tampa buy more UFA years with their deal. Marner's number is probably going to start with an 8.

Tampa bought more UFA years yea because they initially bridged Kucherov, mostly due to being stuck with cap.

Even with Rielly now, who would have loved to just put up 6M instead of 5M and got an additional year or 2?

For Marner, 9 is ballpark maybe a touch more.

Should be a fairly simple negotiation based on some of the interesting things I've been told this week.

I was around 8M a little into the season but the season has continued on and I feel really comfortable with the 11 & 9M projections. "Fair" deals IMO but PM me man, I miss our chats :)

Hope all is well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If only the Oilers had our supporting cast behind McDavid: 305 pts in 243 games still. Don't get me wrong, I like Matthews, he's a great player, and I hope he's a Leaf for life, but McDavid is better.

The guy also gets more opportunities than Matthews, if Matthews played as much ATOI as McDavid , Matthews would have ungodly point totals too. Matthews has more G/60 than anyone in the last 3 years and he is 2nd behind Ovie in goals scored over the last 3 years.

McDavid and Matthews play different styles with similar impacts to the game.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just waiting to hear the old inflation argument. But seriously, this deal was just signed, so IMO there is no way Marner should get more than $8.5/year. And anyone that thinks Matthews is getting more than McDavid is whacked.
So if we are talking 8 years, Marner will definitely make more than that. It is touch and go whether the leafs can get him for 6 years at that rate

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The guy also gets more opportunities than Matthews, if Matthews played as much ATOI as McDavid , Matthews would have ungodly point totals too. Matthews has more G/60 than anyone in the last 3 years and he is 2nd behind Ovie in goals scored over the last 3 years.

Very well said. Also note that Matty did not play 1st PP minutes his first 2 seasons in NHL. That is why it is better to look at ES stats where you can truly compare apples to apples. And when you do well it looks a little in Matty's court. But like I said they are close and it will be debated for many years.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kucherovs max term, 9.5 mill per season contract starts next year. A contract in which every year bought out is a UFA year. The idea that Marner, coming off an ELC is going to be making more than him is crazy.
So you think Stamkos took only 8.5mm because Tampa is so nice he could accept to take 3.5 to 4 Mm less than offered elsewhere?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Stammer took a bit of a hometown discount as team captain and because of his wife and because of the taxes. Also understand his wife and wife's mom live and love Tampa and they do things together every day. I sat next to them at one game a year or two ago and honestly they did not even watch the game. They b*tched on why Stammer was not getting back in touch with them between periods on where they were picking up the limo after the game. It made me laugh as we all might have some of that going on. It was all about hair appointments and many activities they were planning in Tampa before the wedding. It made me dizzy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Not all players flourish with more ice-time...it's a double-edged sword...some will flourish, others will be less effective, experience more fatigue and wear-and-tear...the fact that McDavid flourishes while being leaned heavily on like a dogged mule, facing the other teams' best lines night-in and night-out, is a testament to how great he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad