News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, safe to say no one here has negotiated an NHL contract.
If he wanted to sign earlier he could have signed earlier, like he's advising his teammates to do.

If the Agent is in total control than perhaps Nyander should have addressed the agent with his comment.

I'm sure he did numerous times, but at the end of the day you're going to listen to the people trying to get you the most amount of money possible.

I'm not sure there is anything Nylander did wrong. If I was in his position even if I wanted to play and sign right away, if I knew there was a potential to get more money, I would have listened to what my agent was saying and I would have done the same thing.

Additionally I don't think there is anything wrong with what Nylander is saying, he clearly didn't enjoy the process, probably didn't want to go through it, but understood it's a business and you're going to listen to your agent, that's why you pay them.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Did you miss what his own agent said on Leafs lunch?

When everything is so tight-lipped, everyone starts to speculate and wonder what is going on. How much in control was William Nylander was this? How much was this idea and him sticking to his principles? Obviously, you always rely on a parent for advice and information, but how much of this was Willy leading the charge?
Gross
: It really was Willy leading the charge. I don’t think anyone could do this if someone else was driving the bus. If someone is telling you to stay home, how many sleepless nights are you going to have and you are hoping this person is giving you the right advice? This has to come from yourself. This has to be an internal decision. This was not Michael driving the bus. This was not me driving the bus. This was Willy.

It was Willy that chose to sit, and then 2 weeks after signing his advice has flip flopped when it comes to Matthews and Marner. I gotta agree with ACC, pretty dumb comment, especially right now.

If it were any agent besides Gross I would believe it. If you don't know Gross is full of shit, then I'm sorry. But most of Gross' RFA clients have sat out some period of time. The guy knows what he's doing.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Leafs lunch Miller and LeBrun talking contracts for Matthews and Marner. As much as I like Dubas I think he's messed up here in delays to sign the big 3. Should have been done long ago and I think would have saved the team as far as cap hit. If the numbers are accurate and Matthews signs for 12-14 and Marner around 10 I think we are hooped.

Personally I would give Matthews no more than Eichel or Tavares money. Might get ragged on for this but I think he's going to be another Lupul and hurt more often than not. Kid has exceptional talent and if healthy is right behind McDavid in my opinion but his compete level on a nightly basis and the injury thing I think the Leafs are making a big mistake if they offer him more money than Tavares. As far as Mitch he's having a great year but I wouldn't pay him more than say 8 million. If the Leafs fork out what is being reported they are going to be screwed as far as keeping this team together.

If Dubas would have pushed to get these guys all signed months ago they would have gotten all 3 for a lot less.

Nylander was overpaid as far as I'm concerned and I don't think the Leafs wanted to go that high. After holding out I would have let him sit. Team was playing well and winning without him which made the signing even more hard to understand.

As far as Willy's comments. Think they're pretty lame to tell your piers not to do the same after sitting out and then basically getting more for it and a nice bonus come next summer.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What?
It takes 2 parties to sign a deal. Why would they sign early knowing they'd be a better team, that Tavares would be here etc

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leafs lunch Miller and LeBrun talking contracts for Matthews and Marner. As much as I like Dubas I think he's messed up here in delays to sign the big 3. Should have been done long ago and I think would have saved the team as far as cap hit. If the numbers are accurate and Matthews signs for 12-14 and Marner around 10 I think we are hooped.

Personally I would give Matthews no more than Eichel or Tavares money. Might get ragged on for this but I think he's going to be another Lupul and hurt more often than not. Kid has exceptional talent and if healthy is right behind McDavid in my opinion but his compete level on a nightly basis and the injury thing I think the Leafs are making a big mistake if they offer him more money than Tavares. As far as Mitch he's having a great year but I wouldn't pay him more than say 8 million. If the Leafs fork out what is being reported they are going to be screwed as far as keeping this team together.

If Dubas would have pushed to get these guys all signed months ago they would have gotten all 3 for a lot less.

Nylander was overpaid as far as I'm concerned and I don't think the Leafs wanted to go that high. After holding out I would have let him sit. Team was playing well and winning without him which made the signing even more hard to understand.

As far as Willy's comments. Think they're pretty lame to tell your piers not to do the same after sitting out and then basically getting more for it and a nice bonus come next summer.

agreed, except I don't think Marner will get 10. His comparable will be Nylander, Pastrnak, Gaudreau ect. Plus Kucherov got 9 mill. No way Marner get's close to that. I think Marner will be at 7 or 7.5. He will probably get the Gaudreau deal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure he did numerous times, but at the end of the day you're going to listen to the people trying to get you the most amount of money possible.

I'm not sure there is anything Nylander did wrong. If I was in his position even if I wanted to play and sign right away, if I knew there was a potential to get more money, I would have listened to what my agent was saying and I would have done the same thing.

Additionally I don't think there is anything wrong with what Nylander is saying, he clearly didn't enjoy the process, probably didn't want to go through it, but understood it's a business and you're going to listen to your agent, that's why you pay them.
Shouldn't his comments to his teammates have been "listen to your agent and do what you feel is necessary to get the most money possible"?
Seems hypocritical to me.

Reactions: Notsince67

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Shouldn't his comments to his teammates been "listen to your agent and do what you feel is necessary to get the most money possible"?
Seems hypocritical to me.

maybe behind the scenes he did say that. Again this is all about perception, he is now employed with the team. He was in a shit position the moment the question was asked. If he says publicly, go get your money and wait it out, the management team would be LIVID at that message. If he says don't do this to yourself, does it make him seem hypocritical? Yes, of course. But it keeps management happy. Remember Nylander doesn't want to get traded.

I think if you were to really sit down and have an off the record talk with Nylander he'd give you his honest opinion.

Additionally, what if after going through this process he really feels like he did everything wrong. Is he not allowed to own that?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
maybe behind the scenes he did say that. Again this is all about perception, he is now employed with the team. He was in a **** position the moment the question was asked. If he says publicly, go get your money and wait it out, the management team would be LIVID at that message. If he says don't do this to yourself, does it make him seem hypocritical? Yes, of course. But it keeps management happy. Remember Nylander doesn't want to get traded.

I think if you were to really sit down and have an off the record talk with Nylander he'd give you his honest opinion.

Additionally, what if after going through this process he really feels like he did everything wrong. Is he not allowed to own that?
Absolutely and he should if that were the case.

I know better than to take anything players/management say to the media at face value.
Whether he meant it or not, IMO it was an idiotic statement.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

You realize it takes both parties to agree to a contract. This line of thinking and Dubas blaming is complete and utter nonsense.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What?
It takes 2 parties to sign a deal. Why would they sign early knowing they'd be a better team, that Tavares would be here etc

If they had signed in April, they wouldn’t have known Tavares would be here.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
If it were any agent besides Gross I would believe it. If you don't know Gross is full of ****, then I'm sorry. But most of Gross' RFA clients have sat out some period of time. The guy knows what he's doing.

Willy is the only player to miss a game. Gross doesn't really even have great clients, and I am pretty sure only Willy and JG sat time, although Johnny didn't miss any games.

So you think Gross is lying and throwing his client under the bus to make himself look good? That doesn't make any sense. It would sure be a bad business move, that is for sure.
If you don't take it from the actual source, the actual guy who negotiated the contact, thats up to you.
Maybe he is a liar, but it's by far the best insight we ever will get into the situation.

Reactions: IPS and ACC1224

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
agreed, except I don't think Marner will get 10. His comparable will be Nylander, Pastrnak, Gaudreau ect. Plus Kucherov got 9 mill. No way Marner get's close to that. I think Marner will be at 7 or 7.5. He will probably get the Gaudreau deal

So Marner will get what Willy got?
I highly doubt that.
You know willy's contract is 7.5 right? It's just 7mil for years 2-6.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Nylander offers advice to Matthews, Marner: Get new deals done before season starts

After William Nylander's well-documented holdout to begin the year, he's experienced when it comes to contract negotiations, so much so that the Toronto Maple Leafswinger is offering advice to fellow teammates and pending restricted free agents Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner.

"Just get it done before the season starts," Nylander said to TSN's Gino Reda when asked if he had any words of wisdom. "That's probably the one thing you'd want, to get it out of the way."

(more story after the link)

easier said than done especially when Mitch opens at 11 mil AAV and the Leafs open at 7 mil AAV

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pasta put up a way better final season (77 point pace around). Nylander also had 1 UFA year bought vs 2 for Pasta which is huge.

Pasta played all his ELC at 2 years younger than Nylander with 2 of his seasons being half seasons around. His first full season he put up 70 points in 74 games the same age and year Nylander put up 61 in 82 games.

Pasta is just a better player. It was an overpayment for Nylander but a manageable one considering the circumstance.

I'm not worried about Nylander living up to that contact, it will be a steal in a few years. I just dont like paying more than comparables.
Read my post in the other Nylander thread. Without empty net points and adjusted for opportunity, Pastrnak had 60 points compared to 61 for Nylander in the same season. People make a whole lot out of some extra ENPs for Pastrnak.

Reactions: Menzinger

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Read my post in the other Nylander thread. Without empty net points and adjusted for opportunity, Pastrnak had 60 points compared to 61 for Nylander in the same season. People make a whole lot out of some extra ENPs for Pastrnak.

There are so many factors. Pasta also had 24 PP points to Nylanders 12.
Also gets Bergeron instead of Hyman, I don't need to adjust anything to understand that factor. :laugh:
I said many times. 6x7 in the summer was the deal I think both sides regret not signing in hindsight.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So Marner will get what Willy got?
I highly doubt that.
You know willy's contract is 7.5 right? It's just 7mil for years 2-6.

Willy's cap hit is 6.9. The cap hit number is what matters. I don't care what these guys make in salary. As long as their cap number fits. If you've think Marner is getting 10 you're crazy.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I bet Dubas and co were offering around Pasta's deal but I doubt the current offer, 6.96 x 6 or whatever, was offered in the summer.

Yeah I would agree it probably wasn't offered, but possibly they get there or somewhere close if they negotiate instead of digging a trench

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Willy's cap hit is 6.9. The cap hit number is what matters. I don't care what these guys make in salary. As long as their cap number fits. If you've think Marner is getting 10 you're crazy.
Well duh, but guess who does care about the actual salary? Marner's team.
There argument will be simple. Willy got 60-60 in his last 2 years ELC, and Mitch got 70-100? and also put up 60 a year younger. (I don't think he ends up with a 100 btw, just pacing atm)
I don't think he will get 10, but after Willy getting 7.5, I don't think 9 is crazy anymore. I was at 8ish before Nylander signed.
Also, it's 7. Not 6.9. In no way, shape, or form does 6.962 round to 6.9. Really grinds my gears.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I find it funny that signing something that makes you richer than the 1% of the world is something you should get it over with. Sports are crazy!

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well duh, but guess who does care about the actual salary? Marner's team.
There argument will be simple. Willy got 60-60 in his last 2 years ELC, and Mitch got 70-100? and also put up 60 a year younger. (I don't think he ends up with a 100 btw, just pacing atm)
I don't think he will get 10, but after Willy getting 7.5, I don't think 9 is crazy anymore. I was at 8ish before Nylander signed.
Also, it's 7. Not 6.9. In no way, shape, or form does 6.962 round to 6.9. Really grinds my gears.

Maybe you should take a breath

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Interesting story yesterday from Dubas:

“Our salary-cap situation is set up that we can defend any of those (offer sheet) threats with no worry at all,”

Maple Leafs GM Dubas has no fear of offer sheets for Matthews and Marner

Guess the “find a way to make it all fit” crap was just crap.
What do you expect him to say though? Of course he's concerned but can't let on. People say offer sheets never happen and usually don't but when does 1 team have 2 super star RFA's at the same time? Leafs you bet are concerned but nothing they can do anyway besides trying to get deal done before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad