News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nylander offers advice to Matthews, Marner: Get new deals done before season starts

After William Nylander's well-documented holdout to begin the year, he's experienced when it comes to contract negotiations, so much so that the Toronto Maple Leafswinger is offering advice to fellow teammates and pending restricted free agents Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner.

"Just get it done before the season starts," Nylander said to TSN's Gino Reda when asked if he had any words of wisdom. "That's probably the one thing you'd want, to get it out of the way."

(more story after the link)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
giphy.gif

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do as I say, not as I do.
Been there done that..

But if he were honest he would say something more along the lines of... I leveraged the cap the team had available at the time and beat them in a battle of attrition. I got approximately 1m per year over what the initial offer was, and so, financially I made a good choice (And so can you).

Reactions: MsMeow and AreBe

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Willy admitting it wasn't worth it.

There's rumours he coulda had this deal in the summer.
I bet Dubas and co were offering around Pasta's deal but I doubt the current offer, 6.96 x 6 or whatever, was offered in the summer.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
But if he were honest he would say something more along the lines of... I leveraged the cap the team had available at the time and beat them in a battle of attrition. I got approximately 1m per year over what the initial offer was, and so, financially I made a good choice (And so can you).
If he were honest he would say he signed a deal (with 5 minutes to spare) he coulda signed in the summer.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I bet Dubas and co were offering around Pasta's deal but I doubt the current offer, 6.96 x 6 or whatever it is was offered in the summer.
According to Bill Watters, who used to work for (and is still friends with) Cliff Fletcher (who works for the team) said that this deal was on the table in the summer.

On NHL Network Radio last week.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he were honest he would say he signed a deal (with 5 minutes to spare) he coulda signed in the summer.

The team didn't offer him 7m x 6. The reports are they offtered 6m or so. I don't blame him for putting in some work to get some fruit off the tree. If the tree didn't have the fruit he couldn't go after it could he.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
According to Bill Watters, who used to work for (and is still friends with) Cliff Fletcher (who works for the team) said that this deal was on the table in the summer.

On NHL Network Radio last week.
That would be interesting and rather surprising from Dubas but I know he is a huge Nylander fan.

Very interesting and if true, makes Nylander look awful and is an obvious win for Dubas in the sense that Nylander caved.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The team didn't offer him 7m x 6. The reports are they offtered 6m or so. I don't blame him for putting in some work to get some fruit off the tree. If the tree didn't have the fruit he couldn't go after it could he.
Report said $6M/
Report said deal was on the table in the summer.

Believe whatever you want to believe. You have no idea what the truth is and what isn't.

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That would be interesting and rather surprising from Dubas but I know he is a huge Nylander fan.

Very interesting and if true, makes Nylander look awful and is an obvious win for Dubas in the sense that Nylander caved.

I highly doubt it was on the table. It sounds like a new spin and like it's been done for clicks or for optics. People don't parade around their failures, they tend to mask them or minimize them. Pasta deal good, Nylander deal bad. Ehlers deal good, Nylander deal bad. It's not hard.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
lol nothing to look into here.

Obviously every player wants the contract before the season starts, even the ones who hold out. Nobody's ideal situation is to sign late and miss camp.

Nylander isn't going to say anything like this if they indeed hold out. He'd let them handle their business just like they did with him.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Do as I say, not as I do.
Been there done that..
Yeah, that's all it is. Those two not being signed when the next season starts makes things harder on the Leafs and will lead to slow starts from them if they do miss significant time.

Not something that mattered to him and they know that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bring them on.

If other National Hockey League teams are thinking of tendering offer sheets to Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner when both become restricted free agents next summer, go ahead.

This from Maple Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas: It will be a waste of time.

“Our salary-cap situation is set up that we can defend any of those threats with no worry at all,” Dubas said during a rare scrum with reporters after the Leafs practised at the MasterCard Centre on Monday.

“I know (offer sheets) have become a huge topic of late, but I spend zero per cent of my time having any worry about that.

“If a team wants to go down that path with us, that’s the way it goes, but our goal will be to continue to work with these players. The players have both stated they want to be here and it’s our goal to continue to work with them and their agents toward an agreement.”

Maple Leafs GM Dubas has no fear of offer sheets for Matthews and Marner

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Is it? With the increased cap it roughly what Pasta got.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Is it? With the increased cap it roughly what Pasta got.
Pasta put up a way better final season (77 point pace around). Nylander also had 1 UFA year bought vs 2 for Pasta which is huge.

Pasta played all his ELC at 2 years younger than Nylander with 2 of his seasons being half seasons around. His first full season he put up 70 points in 74 games the same age and year Nylander put up 61 in 82 games.

Pasta is just a better player. It was an overpayment for Nylander but a manageable one considering the circumstance.

I'm not worried about Nylander living up to that contact, it will be a steal in a few years. I just dont like paying more than comparables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->