Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Robin Lehner signs with the Islanders (1 year, $1.5M)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He could be a Devin Dubynk type project, the talent is there but he can't seem to put it all together. His lateral movement is poor and he cannot save a breakaway.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Hopefully better days for both the Isles and Buffalo going forward. :thumbu:

Hope Lehner does well for you guys!

Don't read too much into what Buffalo fans are saying about him.

He was pretty much public enemy #1 in Buffalo from the day the trade happened, just due to the cost (#21 overall).

He could do very well in NY with a Trotz as his coach. He will get the NYI playing team defense and limiting high danger scoring chances, something that Buffalo gave up in DROVES last year.

The talent is there. I think maybe He just needs to get out of his own head and gain some confidence back. A change of scenery could do him well.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Hahahahahhahahahaha. Remember when my fellow Sabres board forumers were convincing the world he is an average NHL starter. Yeah, about that....joke's on you and you know who you are. 1.5mil hahahaha

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hope Lehner does well for you guys!

Don't read too much into what Buffalo fans are saying about him.

He was pretty much public enemy #1 in Buffalo from the day the trade happened, just due to the cost (#21 overall).

He could do very well in NY with a Trotz as his coach. He will get the NYI playing team defense and limiting high danger scoring chances, something that Buffalo gave up in DROVES last year.

The talent is there. I think maybe He just needs to get out of his own head and gain some confidence back. A change of scenery could do him well.

We're going to suck balls, Lehner was brought into bomb. It's all good. We got nuked, need to get back on our feet.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not sure Robin Lehner will solve the goalie woes for the Islanders. Got to think it may be a long season for the Islanders.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
upload_2018-7-4_11-11-45.jpeg

This is always the first thing that enters my mind when I hear about Robin Lehner. Might as well make that his NHL.com page photo. :laugh:

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Terrible goalie. I usually don’t care, but man this guy is horrid.

Blah blah, you’re jealous. Lehner has been playing for one of the worst teams in history during the last years. It’s hard to judge him. Let’s see what he can achieve in another bad team, with one of the best defensive coaches behind the bench.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Good it's only for 1 year. Much more important is to have a great goalie coach, Isles need to find one. In the meantime I would use Greiss/Lehner in a tandem. Greiss has shown he can't handle starter workloads but he can be great with 40 games. He will bounce back. Lehner might be better with less games too, so there's something to hope for, especially if Trotz put him on a diet.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres d last season was dumpster thrash.
That has nothing to do with countless goals Lehner let by him because he couldn't hug the post properly or mover laterally side to side properly or stop a break away.
Also, he made 1 save in shootouts his entire time in Buffalo, 1 save. Defense had nothing to do with that.

As much as you attempt to defend him, like I said, I watched EVERY GAME the Sabres played while Lehner was here. He is not an NHL goaltender.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
That has nothing to do with countless goals Lehner let by him because he couldn't hug the post properly or mover laterally side to side properly or stop a break away.
Also, he made 1 save in shootouts his entire time in Buffalo, 1 save. Defense had nothing to do with that.

As much as you attempt to defend him, like I said, I watched EVERY GAME the Sabres played while Lehner was here. He is not an NHL goaltender.
And yet he put up same stats as 12m price last season.

Lehner is hated for his person not the actual goalie. Chad johnson had even worse stats than lehner. Which goalue will do good in buffalo?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
It's an ok deal. 1 year at 1.5 is no big deal. He could turn it around and if he doesn't no biggie.
There will be no playoffs on long island no matter what goalie is in net.

And you can slice and dice it as much as you want but he has 219 nhl games under his belt and he's only 27. And 91.5% over those game.
So he sucks at shootouts but he hasn't played for teams that are world beaters....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad