Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Robin Lehner signs with the Islanders (1 year, $1.5M)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Agree, after years of having steadfast goaltending on Long Island it will be so refreshing to have someone who is unsteady and unreliable.

I thought their goalie coach did a really good job with Halak. If he can work on technique with Lehner, I think it might end up being a lot better than people think.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think part of Lehners bad lateral movement is the guy needs to lose weight. Correct me if I am wrong Sabres fans. It might not make him the best at it, but it would certainly help IMO.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I thought their goalie coach did a really good job with Halak. If he can work on technique with Lehner, I think it might end up being a lot better than people think.
We got a new goalie coach last year and both Halak/Griess has career bad seasons. I have no idea if that dude was fired or not, but I thought I remembered reading something about Greiss going back to his old coach. Not really sure how that all works.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We got a new goalie coach last year and both Halak/Griess has career bad seasons. I have no idea if that dude was fired or not, but I thought I remembered reading something about Greiss going back to his old coach. Not really sure how that all works.
That explains last year.. I didn't know they changed goalie coach.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Is he new for this year, or the one from last year? If he is the one from last year, how do we make him go away?
Last year and I think still there, last we heard was that Mitch Korn was deciding between staying with Caps and going to Isles so hopefully we get him. Andrew Gross tweeted something about that July 3rd so idk if there has been an update but he'd be nice

Reactions: IODCPiper

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'm a Sabres fan. I watched a lot of games this year. I like this signing for NYI. We weren't going to offer sheet him at $4M because he's not worth that but at $1.5 for one year, probably worth it. He's a little hard to assess because of how horrible our defense was last year. He won us some games and I thought performed at about NHL average level during regulation. He couldn't stop my grandmother shooting a beach ball in a shootout.

Jamie McLennan talked a lot about Lehner's erratic style. How we will play the same shot, from the same angle, differently each time. That probably affects his consistency and speaks to his mental focus and/or composure in net. Maybe that's just goalie-speak, we shall see. The Islanders didn't have many options and for the price, it's worth the risk, no doubt.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I doubt Tavares regretted his decision upon hearing this news.

Lou signed a head-case, technically unsound goalie for cheap. Playing in front of an arguably worse defense isn't going to do much for Lehner's game.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Last year and I think still there, last we heard was that Mitch Korn was deciding between staying with Caps and going to Isles so hopefully we get him. Andrew Gross tweeted something about that July 3rd so idk if there has been an update but he'd be nice
If korn does join isles staff that will be a huge plus for isles. he helped focus Pekke, hotlby, gru and with subtle changes to their game they improved

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

Lou signed a head-case, technically unsound goalie for cheap. Playing in front of an arguably worse defense isn't going to do much for Lehner's game.

It is possible other Goalies would have signed but neglected to do so because Tavares left

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

It should be noted I do think having Tortz over Snow and even Capuano will make a world of difference for the team collectively defensively

I honestly don't see how Lehner is a bad gamble from the Islanders part given their situation now. This is a deal that could work out great for the team and if it fails oh well it is a 1 year contract. I am guessing if Tavares was still on the team they probably would have went a different direction with goalies(ie go for a more stable proven one)

Reactions: MikeyMike01

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Tavares or not, the Islanders need a decent goalie. Yes, Lehner came cheap, but anyone hoping for a Dubnyk-style resurrection probably invests in lottery tickets.

Thoroughly unimpressed with Lou's moves thus far, apart from Trotz.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

yep lol, oh my this guy loses it steady, and he cant stop a puck . maybe a 4.00 g.a.a plus . dont matter who works with him he will be brutal.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Tavares or not, the Islanders need a decent goalie. Yes, Lehner came cheap, but anyone hoping for a Dubnyk-style resurrection probably invests in lottery tickets.

Thoroughly unimpressed with Lou's moves thus far, apart from Trotz.

It’s pretty obvious to me that Lou is not going to make any major moves until he gets a chance to see the current roster with a real coach.

Maybe Nelson turns into a hockey player, maybe Ho-Sang gets his head out of his ass, maybe other guys who haven’t performed well start to play better.

Without Tavares it’s unlikely the team is making noise this year, so it makes sense to take this year as an extended evaluation period and really start to tear it apart next offseason.

Plus I’m not sure there was any good moves there to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this has the potential to be the best contract in the league. He's on a show-me deal, and could be their starter. He showed flashes of greatness before he went to Buffalo. I also think the Isles could surprise people On paper, it makes sense that they would decline, but the NHL has a pesky way of defying the paper anaylsis

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
this has the potential to be the best contract in the league. He's on a show-me deal, and could be their starter. He showed flashes of greatness before he went to Buffalo. I also think the Isles could surprise people On paper, it makes sense that they would decline, but the NHL has a pesky way of defying the paper anaylsis
He’s sucked since 2013 but this is the year to show everyone you aren’t terrible.

Lou just loves signing trash. Most teams have likely moved past Lehner. Hell, even Buffalo gave up on him and they’ve been a wasteland for several years.

Last edited:

member 290103

Unfortunately for Lehner, Jim Benning was not the market for a goalie. Too bad, as he could have scored a 4 year deal at 4M per.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If nothing else lehner helps the islanders ability to goon it up...

I'm starting to get amused at the prospects of how some islanders games are gonna go...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
He’s sucked since 2013 but this is the year to show everyone you aren’t terrible.

Lou just loves signing trash. Most teams have likely moved past Lehner. Hell, even Buffalo gave up on him and they’ve been a wasteland for several years.

Lehner is a starter while Greiss is not. Lehner just needs a good coach to work with and a diet to lose 40 pounds. Seems impossible and since Snow is still with the Isles Snow might be involved with the goalie department which would be a complete failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad