Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think it was a fair deal. Seems like it mostly came down to the Islanders and Boston for Palmieri and the Bruins really did not want to include a 1st rounder in the deal. Toronto was also rumored to be interested, though there was also speculation that they were on Palmieri's no-trade list and it was questionable if he would waive to go there.

Devils could've gotten a 2nd & "meh" prospect for Palms elsewhere, the latter of which they have plenty. Or maybe it could've been a 2nd and mid-round pick. I don't think they were getting a 1st round pick for Palmieri elsewhere - maybe a 2nd and 2022 3rd rounder if they waited and teams got a bit more desperate. I'd still value the 1st rounder over that.

Zajac was always a question mark regarding value given that he had a full NMC which he refused to waive last season. The Islanders were thought to be one of the few teams he might waive for given the proximity to NJ (he doesn't have to uproot his family to see them the next few months) and connection to Lou/Greene. Having Palmieri heading over may have even sealed the deal. Beyond that, there were a lot of question marks as to where he'd waive (maybe Winnipeg, since he's from there - though he'd have to leave his family...a top contender to give him his best shot at a Cup?) and if any of those teams would even be interested in acquiring him. He's probably worth around a 3rd rounder without the full NMC clause, so a conditional 4th that could turn into a 3rd is rather fair value.

The "prospects" the Islanders gave up are purely to balance out their 50 man roster and have next to no value for NJ.

We'll see what Hall and other rentals return in the next few days, but this may also be the only 1st rounder we see dealt for pure rentals.

Both players figure to hit the UFA market as I'm not sure the Islanders have much room to sign them (particularly Palmieri) so there's also a chance either coming back to NJ.

I never said they were getting a 1st for Palmieri, but Zajac is on pace for 45 points over an 82 game season. Even with Palmieri scoring 1 less point than Zajac in 1 more game played while getting almost 50 seconds more of ice time per game, Zajac could have gotten a 3rd and a prospect on his own probably. Those two separate returns would still be collectively more than what they got in this deal.

This absolutely looks like Fitzgerald panicked.

Reactions: MartyOwns

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Just because Fitz was able to get a 2nd for Greene last year doesn't mean he would've been able to do it again. Zajac had a NMC and convincing him to waive it probably took a lot of work to begin with. After that, there was likely only one place he wanted to go since he seems to have entrenched roots in the area. This means that Lou had all the leverage since the alternative is just Zajac staying put.

Palmieri was going to bring in a 2nd and maybe some sort of prospect. Zajac would've gotten a 3rd. Combine those and you get around the same value as a 1st and a 4th.

Reactions: buud

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Excellent move by a veteran GM. Unless pitt makes a bold move which is unlikely I dont see anyone including Washington beating the isles in the East.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I never said they were getting a 1st for Palmieri, but Zajac is on pace for 45 points over an 82 game season. Even with Palmieri scoring 1 less point than Zajac in 1 more game played while getting almost 50 seconds more of ice time per game, Zajac could have gotten a 3rd and a prospect on his own probably. Those two separate returns would still be collectively more than what they got in this deal.

This absolutely looks like Fitzgerald panicked.
Zajac wasn't waiving for anyone but NY.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zajac wasn't waiving for anyone but NY.

That’s fine, Fitzgerald could have waited and possibly gotten more from another team. A late 1st in a weak draft isn’t great and he got nothing of substance with it. Give me a 2nd and a good prospect with a future over that.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
no weak spots or gimpy legs in our forward group now.

The big question is does the addition of zajac/palmeiri and move of komarov to the taxi squad offset the loss of Lee?

I don't mind komarov out there for 5 minutes to piss the other team off but he shouldn't be playing more than that.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
it's amazing how many posters were saying "I wouldn't even think of giving a first for Palms" are now applauding this trade for Lou
I think it's a solid trade on both sides

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a WIN/WIN. If you consider both teams aspirations and Zajac's clause it makes too much sense.

We knew it was a buyers market already, for Jersey to get a 1st round pick back is a good return. This is a new era for them and picking up as many 1st round picks as they can is part of building for that chapter. You could say that a late round pick may not pan out but that's not the point, the point is, get as many 1sts as possible and draft well, some will pan out, others will not.

Isles needed (2) top-9 players, Palmieri's production accounts for much of what was lost with Lee and gives the Isles two snipers in Wahlstrom and Palms. The 3LW spot as well was a revolving door of 13th forwards (MDC, Komarov, Bellows, Johnston) so whether they plug in Zajac there or put an existing Isle in and deploy Zajac at C, the team is drastically improved either way.
I think Lou set the market here. He was the first to make a big move, and really, a low first in this year's draft for 2 players that he knows personally, not only from on the ice but off of it, this is very important to Lou's thinking was truly good managing. We have seen usually it is the understated moves that go farther to impact a team than the splashier riskier moves as a Hall deal would have been. I see both Palmieri who can play either wing, and Zajac who can play wing or Center as being swiss army knives for Trotz. But give Lou full credit, he beat the competition moving early at a modest cost, and the players will already be in the line up to acclimate to a new team. That's an advantage.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
I think Lou set the market here. He was the first to make a big move, and really, a low first in this year's draft for 2 players that he knows personally, not only from on the ice but off of it, this is very important to Lou's thinking was truly good managing. We have seen usually it is the understated moves that go farther to impact a team than the splashier riskier moves as a Hall deal would have been. I see both Palmieri who can play either wing, and Zajac who can play wing or Center as being swiss army knives for Trotz. But give Lou full credit, he beat the competition moving early at a modest cost, and the players will already be in the line up to acclimate to a new team. That's an advantage.
I can't remember a single Devils game where I saw Zajac play anything except for C. I also only remember Palmieri slotting in at RW. Just making sure Isles fans have the proper expectations. Might be a lot to ask for these guys to learn new positions while acclimating to a new environment and system.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't remember a single Devils game where I saw Zajac play anything except for C. I also only remember Palmieri slotting in at RW. Just making sure Isles fans have the proper expectations. Might be a lot to ask for these guys to learn new positions while acclimating to a new environment and system.
Palmieri apparently played on his off wing in Anaheim. I don't exactly remember having a sketchy memory that long ago. If this is the case, if Zajac cannot adjust to wing, Pageau can. I do know when players play on Team Canada, where there are more better centers than wingers, the adjustment is not as big as wingers moving to Centers. The point I am trying to make is the line up is very versatile for Trotz to use it like a swiss army knife. The insurance of having 5 NHL centers incase of injuries I can see will be huge if that comes into play.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
So you think Komarov and MDC = Palmeiri and Zajac? I can understand the first part about them having a bunch of blue collar players that fit this mold, but don't know what to tell you if you don't think those two guys are a bump in talent over the current players dressing every night (Bellows, Komarov, MDC, and Johnston). These two are better than all four of those guys.
I'm saying I don't think it's night and day the difference between all 6. Are they better sure but saw some " they are going all in " posts in here and this move is not that imo. Still a good move

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I'm saying I don't think it's night and day the difference between all 6. Are they better sure but saw some " they are going all in " posts in here and this move is not that imo. Still a good move

The difference is night & day, even if you don't believe so.

Bellows, Komarov, MDC, Johnston & Czarnik- 69 GP 4G 7A , 11P

Zajac - 33GP 7G 11A , 18P

Zajac is supplanting that revolving door of 13th-15th forwards.

That's not even considering Palmieri as a 25 goal scorer. Hell, only one guy on that list has 25 career NHL goals and its Komarov.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
That’s fine, Fitzgerald could have waited and possibly gotten more from another team. A late 1st in a weak draft isn’t great and he got nothing of substance with it. Give me a 2nd and a good prospect with a future over that.
Lou can make other GM's do things they will be sorry about later.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Coulda woulda shoulda. As they say, "profit is profit".

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
'nobody lost this trade except for people who like to complain on HF boards.

NJ wins, NYI wins, Palmieri and Zajac also win
Yep, also the benefit to trading Palmieri and Zajac to their preferred destination where they don't have to uproot their life as much AND to a team that is less likely to resign them due to cap = the Devils have a higher chance of re-signing them in the offseason. Which factors into things as management might want to bring both of these guys back.

Reactions: cavs and beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad