Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
The Islanders get 2 good veterans for the playoff push. The Devils get a first and fourth round draft pick in return. Very few if any other first round picks will be offered up this trade deadline. both Palms and Zajac are UFAs. Decent chance Devils can re-sign Palms and/or zajac next season if they choose. Devils have two extra roster spots to see what their kids have for the remainder of the season. Islanders just got a lot tougher to play against. So, is it possible that both teams "won" this trade? Just a thought as the hyperbole on this forum is truly epic.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It remains to be seen, but no team that gets what they expected complains about the cost.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Fitzgerald is just inexperienced and panicked. Like The Doors once said, “People Are Strange...”

Lebrun is reporting its the exact opposite. The first would not be there on Monday if he waited, and buyers are really hesitant to give up a 1st this year.

Boston and Toronto were not willing to give a 1st for Palms.

He maxed out Palms value thanks to Lou loving his old Devils

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The Islanders get 2 good veterans for the playoff push. The Devils get a first and fourth round draft pick in return. Very few if any other first round picks will be offered up this trade deadline. both Palms and Zajac are UFAs. Decent chance Devils can re-sign Palms and/or zajac next season if they choose. Devils have two extra roster spots to see what their kids have for the remainder of the season. Islanders just got a lot tougher to play against. So, is it possible that both teams "won" this trade? Just a thought as the hyperbole on this forum is truly epic.

Dude can see the future. When will the Squeeze reaally Squooze on GME?

And yes, this is a win-win.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Lebrun is reporting its the exact opposite. The first would not be there on Monday if he waited, and buyers are really hesitant to give up a 1st this year.

LeBrun can report whatever. Gaustad was the centerpiece of a deal that got a 1st in a weak market.

Teams get desperate. Negotiations are a game of chicken and good poker faces often win them.

Besides, a late first and absolutely nothing with it is not better than a 2nd a good prospect, which I’ve mentioned in here. The Devils got a 1st and nobody with a future for 2 rentals. Doesn’t matter if Zajac wasn’t waiving to go elsewhere.

The Islanders fleeced them. That’s it.

Jan 21, 2018
LeBrun can report whatever. Gaustad was the centerpiece of a deal that got a 1st in a weak market.

Teams get desperate. Negotiations are a game of chicken and good poker faces often win them.

Besides, a late first and absolutely nothing with it is not better than a 2nd a good prospect, which I’ve mentioned in here. The Devils got a 1st and nobody with a future for 2 rentals. Doesn’t matter if Zajac wasn’t waiving to go elsewhere.

Imagine using an overpayment that occurred in 2012 to justify a trade made in 2021.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009

Stop stating your opinion as a fact. It's a lazy argument.

The Devils got a first for Palms which most didn't think would have been possible. Zajac was the sweetener who is almost guaranteed to sign another short-term contract in NJ after the season ends.

Devil fans wanted a bit more, but that is just the way the market is in this crazy year. No one seems willing to trade a 1st this year or a top prospect except maybe Toronto, which both Devil players would have never accepted a trade to.

Palms didn't want to go to a Canadian team and Zajac didn't want to uproot his family. Very limited trade options for those two.

I think Fitz got a decent return on those two, considering all the current restraints this TDL.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Bwahahaha...

OK, we'll take your word on it over Lebrun.

BTW, there was no offer for a 2nd round pick and a good prospect. It would've been a 2nd rounder and a "meh" prospect or mid/late round pick.

Are you also seriously trying to compare this to a trade from 9 years ago (that included a pick going back, which in typical Sabres fashion produced a better player than the pick they acquired)?

We're also talking about a flat cap this year, limiting what teams can do as well as limited playoff revenue, which will impact some teams' decisions.

Saying the Devils got "fleeced" is insane, but go on with your spicy take.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

You have absolutely no idea, neither do I.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
You have absolutely no idea, neither do I.

Except that is what has been widely reported. Doesn't make it 100% true, but that appears likely to be the case.

We also don't know for sure if Palmieri had Toronto on his no-trade list or if he would've been willing to waive to go there.

Fitzgerald clearly thought this was the best offer available and that offers were not going to get better closer to the deadline. Lebrun seems to agree.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
A first and a third (plus 2 players) for two expiring contracts is good. It's a win for NJ, but not by a large margin.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Don't the Islanders need to win something 1st before this is considered a fleecing? Not saying it's going to happen, but if they lose first round of the playoffs , are you still going to feel the same? When they will have nothing to show for the deal, and the Devils will.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Stop stating your opinion as a fact. It's a lazy argument.

The Devils got a first for Palms which most didn't think would have been possible. Zajac was the sweetener who is almost guaranteed to sign another short-term contract in NJ after the season ends.

Devil fans wanted a bit more, but that is just the way the market is in this crazy year. No one seems willing to trade a 1st this year or a top prospect except maybe Toronto, which both Devil players would have never accepted a trade to.

Palms didn't want to go to a Canadian team and Zajac didn't want to uproot his family. Very limited trade options for those two.

I think Fitz got a decent return on those two, considering all the current restraints this TDL.
They got a 1st for Palms because they included Zajac. Islanders didn't give a 1st for Palms. They weren't going to do that. No team was going to do that. Islanders were smart and said "Ok, we'll give the first you're looking for this trade deadline, but we're getting more value back". NJ fans think Zajac will be back. If you traded both separately, maybe you get a few more assets, but NJ was really looking for that 1st this deadline and they got it. I think both teams played this smart.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They would appear to be a good fit for the Islanders but it's the kind of trade I would have preferred them doing before the season began.

I'm never that optimistic about the impact of guys who come over that late in the season and the effect on fragile team chemistry and dynamics.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
They would appear to be a good fit for the Islanders but it's the kind of trade I would have preferred them doing before the season began.

I'm never that optimistic about the impact of guys who come over that late in the season and the effect on fragile team chemistry and dynamics.

Understandable, but these are two guys who have a man on the inside in their former captain, Andy Greene, and by all accounts they fit the profile of Trotz players, guys who play accountable two-way hockey with complete team buy-in. If there's any locker room that can handle a few imports, it's the Islanders and its veteran, all-for-one attitude. Palmieri mentioned that when he walked into the room the first time, he already knew it was a welcoming place.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Islanders couldn't do this deal before Lee went on LTIR, freeing up the cap space.

Reactions: NyQuil

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Islanders team chemistry is the opposite of fragile. They put a big premium on character. Everyone they have acquired under Lou and Trotz had been a high character guy, a team player. To wit, they now have the Devils' former captain and alternate captains, and have 10 players who have worn the C or A in the NHL.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Great trade by New Jersey. When the NJ GM goes “I hope we pick 32nd with this pick cause they got 2 good guys” you know as NJ you won this trade.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Amazing that Lou has thrived after Toronto dumped him. I'm sure everyone thought Dubas would become a hero and Lou would fade into retirement. He has really shown the Leafs he was the guy to keep.

Reactions: tellermine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->