Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
How good are Zajac and Palmeri at these points of their careers? Are they still legit second liners?

I'd say Palmieri is. He's had a dip in production this year due to an incredibly low shooting percentage. He's been able to start getting that back up with his recent play. He's been one of the better RW goal-scorers in the league over the past few years so he's still at a very good point in his career and still good for 20+ goals a season.

As for Zajac, he showed real signs of the game passing him by earlier in the year, but he's been on fire as of late. The fact of the matter for him is that the points aren't part of his game. He's a high-end defensive shutdown center. He'll fit into the line-up wherever he's put. I don't know the Isles' line chart or situation very well, but I could definitely see him playing on that 3rd line and moving Pageau to the wing.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Both should fit well with the Islanders. For the last month Zajac was the de facto top center for NJ playing with Sharangovich and Kuokkanen and Palmieri was probably asked to carry more of the load than necessary due to the Devils dearth of scoring.

Both should find a better fit slotting in roles that better suit them.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I am just surprised that the Devils didn't wait till deadline day or maybe the day before. I'd have to assume that the bidding for those two players would have been a littler better no?
Zajac has a no-trade clause and Palmieri is from Long Island, there's a Lou-NJ connection, a Lou-Fitzgerald connection and the two Devils being loyal lifers probably led to NJ trying to please them with the trades (especially if they plan on resigning one or both in the offseason).

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd say Palmieri is. He's had a dip in production this year due to an incredibly low shooting percentage. He's been able to start getting that back up with his recent play. He's been one of the better RW goal-scorers in the league over the past few years so he's still at a very good point in his career and still good for 20+ goals a season.

As for Zajac, he showed real signs of the game passing him by earlier in the year, but he's been on fire as of late. The fact of the matter for him is that the points aren't part of his game. He's a high-end defensive shutdown center. He'll fit into the line-up wherever he's put. I don't know the Isles' line chart or situation very well, but I could definitely see him playing on that 3rd line and moving Pageau to the wing.

Pageau > Zajac

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
How good are Zajac and Palmeri at these points of their careers? Are they still legit second liners?

Palmieri can be a legit second liner on a contender. At this point I’d say he’s a question mark based on his play this year but I don’t think he’s tailed off for good, I think his move to the Islanders will allow him to snipe at will.

Zajac is a good-to-great defensive 3C. So much so that if he continues playing next season I’d like him back on the Devils for 1-2 years in that role.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
why the heck would NJ agree to have bums and no goodz included in a trade? If people on this site are dismissive about these players why wouldn't NJ be dismissive too?

People need to be a little more sensitive, and stop allowing videogame/fantasy hockey to rule their conversations.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Huh?

4th rounders have plenty of value, perhaps a little moreso this season when a lot of prospects didn't get to play too many games and there was little live scouting. We're going to see some good players drop as a result.

The Devils are getting some nice production this season from their 2016 4th rounder (Maltsev) as well as 6th rounder (Bratt), while they utilized a 5th rounder (Rykov) and 7th rounder (Davies) in trades. Their 2019 4th rounder (Thompson) scored at a 1.2 PPG pace the past 2 seasons at Providence and will be making his 2nd NHL start tonight, while their 2015 5th rounder (Sharangovich) has been one of the better players for NJ this season and will be protected in the upcoming expansion draft.
Lol, there are a lot of fifth and sixth rounders who would fit in acceptably in the league. It's just they don't get a chance because they don't play for teams icing AHL rosters. Devs did well with a first but you are reaching thinking the 4th has any value.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
why the heck would NJ agree to have bums and no goodz included in a trade? If people on this site are dismissive about these players why wouldn't NJ be dismissive too?

People need to be a little more sensitive, and stop allowing videogame/fantasy hockey to rule their conversations.

That's the last thing people need to do...

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
True. That being said, Pageau's basically played everywhere but D and G for us so far. He's slotted in on both wings (LW primarily) from time to time. Trotz loves him and will put him anywhere if there's an injury or an underperforming youngen.
If there was some way to clone players, I wouldn't mind a team entire comprised of Pageaus

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I’m guessing Zajac barely had value and was probably an added throw in. Probably the only team He would go to and when that happens a player has no value as there is no competition from another team.
It was virtually Palmeiri for all of it.

Reactions: Bronson

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

They were a necessary part of the trade, otherwise the Islanders would've been at the maximum 50 contract limit which could've hampered additional moves before the deadline.

The Devils stayed at 46 contracts and figure to see that number drop further in the coming days.

Both of these players are free agents at the end of the season and it's doubtful NJ brings either back, so no harm on their end other than some minimal salary the rest of this season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Lol, there are a lot of fifth and sixth rounders who would fit in acceptably in the league. It's just they don't get a chance because they don't play for teams icing AHL rosters. Devs did well with a first but you are reaching thinking the 4th has any value.

I'm the one reaching thinking a 4th rounder has any value?

I'm not saying it's tremendous value, but there is certainly value you and I provided plenty of examples from NJ's recent drafts.

Do 2nd and 3rd rounders hold any value or is it just 1st rounders or bust for you?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I’m guessing Zajac barely had value and was probably an added throw in. Probably the only team He would go to and when that happens a player has no value as there is no competition from another team.
It was virtually Palmeiri for all of it.
I thought the same thing. Unlikely any team would have parted with more than a first for Palmieri and once that deal was sealed, Fitzgerald probably asked Zajac if he wanted to join too.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
That's the last thing people need to do...

"Thanks for participating in the 2021 NHL season! Everyone was great and you're all winners! "
54usu3.jpg

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
The New York Islanders are getting stronger. What will happen next?

I think the team can spend (Avs 2nd 2021, 2nd 2022) 3rd, 4th (2021).
Many good players are available for a reasonable price (@ 50% Ret).
Forwards: Foligno, Dzingel, Hoffman, Schwartz, Glendening…
Many inexpensive defenders: (NJD :) - Vatanen, Kulikov), Del Zotto…(if needed)

What will Lou Lamoriello do, stop or continue shopping?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

I think he will casually look for D depth but Hickey playing fine for five games probably has him thinking that he's done enough.

Personally would hope he uses the 2nds in order to get someone off the team in the offseason (Ladd specifically but that's a pipe-dream. You'd need a lot more than a couple of seconds to ditch that).

Maybe Komarov and a 2nd since he'll have only a year remaining. Try to convince Seattle to take someone else (Bailey?) with a 2nd in the expansion draft. Bailey has no NTC or NMC so he could be moved (doubtful but still a possibility).

For better or for worse the team is going to look like this for the next year or two. I'm sure Lou is going to try to convince Palmieri to stay if the fit is there.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This is a WIN/WIN. If you consider both teams aspirations and Zajac's clause it makes too much sense.

We knew it was a buyers market already, for Jersey to get a 1st round pick back is a good return. This is a new era for them and picking up as many 1st round picks as they can is part of building for that chapter. You could say that a late round pick may not pan out but that's not the point, the point is, get as many 1sts as possible and draft well, some will pan out, others will not.

Isles needed (2) top-9 players, Palmieri's production accounts for much of what was lost with Lee and gives the Isles two snipers in Wahlstrom and Palms. The 3LW spot as well was a revolving door of 13th forwards (MDC, Komarov, Bellows, Johnston) so whether they plug in Zajac there or put an existing Isle in and deploy Zajac at C, the team is drastically improved either way.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Possibly a move to bring in a lefty depth defenseman, but other than that, I think hes done.

Top 9 is some combination of Barzal, Eberle, Palmieri, Beauvillier, Nelson, Bailey, Pageau, Zajac and Wahlstrom. 4th line remains Martin, Cizikas, and Clutterbuck. Komarov, Bellows, Dal Colle and Ross J as extras. Not much room to add another F unless someone goes the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad