Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
both quality players but isnt this redundant for them. They already have 4 lines of those 2 players, minus Barzal of course. Excellent depth but dont really see this as an improvement.
for the record I agree... this doesn't move the needle for us so much as insulate us from further injury

I like the depth a lot though honestly.

Reactions: Caps8112

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Rivalry? Devils and Islanders literally exist to counter the Rangers. Their common enemy makes them friends.
Wow!!! So much hate for the Isles. I totally respect the group of Ranger fans who understand the game, love their team, and have stuck with them through their up and many down periods.

Seem to be more of them though that talk about the Rangers like they're the Yankees/Patriots.....when their history reads more like that of the Jets.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Most saw a deal coming. I thought the Isles would get wood rather than Zajac, but as many dev fans noted he might not be for sale.

I'm glad it wasn't Wood. I had enough of players named Wood skating really fast and running into things they didn't see coming back the in the late 80s.

To think of it, I think Kreider modeled his game after Randy Wood's too.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ok, so that's one team out for the Taylor Hall Sweepstakes. I think Isles took 2 players to not only go deep in playoffs, but added padding for whomever Seattle takes.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The two teams have also rarely ever been good at the same time, which further diminishes the rivalry. The Devils have been in NJ for almost 40 years and the two teams have met in the playoffs just once - back in 1988 in the 1st round. Unless you're in your 40's, you probably don't have any recollection of that series.

Proximity only counts so much - playoffs really cement rivalries. I consider Carolina more of a rival than the Islanders for NJ despite only coming into their division a few years back due to some of the playoff battles between the two teams.

Big difference in Carolina is I don't like their team but I don't care at all about their fan base. There's barely any of their fans at our games, the Islanders fans come out of the wood work lately and have been just as horrid in our building over the past few years and act like Rangers fans in a different shade of blue.

Hope they lose as many games as possible the rest of the season and then get swept in the playoffs. Gimmie that highest pick possible please. I root for the logo on the front and not the name on the back.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
How good are Zajac and Palmeri at these points of their careers? Are they still legit second liners?

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Ok, so that's one team out for the Taylor Hall Sweepstakes. I think Isles took 2 players to not only go deep in playoffs, but added padding for whomever Seattle takes.
Both players the Islanders acquired are on expiring contracts so as long as they don't re-sign them before the expansion draft they won't need to be protected.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

NYI wouldn't have been a good fit for Hall anyways. He doesn't fit in Trotz system and Hall has been a loser wherever he has gone. So whichever team he gets traded to on Monday, that team will do nothing but lose.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI wouldn't have been a good fit for Hall anyways. He doesn't fit in Trotz system and Hall has been a loser wherever he has gone. So whichever team he gets traded to on Monday, that team will do nothing but lose.

I don't know why people say this. Why wouldn't he have been a good fit? Just because he hasn't been in an NHL environment with a disciplined structured approach doesn't mean he can't do it. I've seen him play a lot. He backchecks. He has not been a lazy player (until now, lol, but who knows). Would you have thought that Jordan Eberle could play in Trotz's system? He does. He came from the same environment, and was criticized nearly as much.

Reactions: Olliemets

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

Both are free agents at the end of this season, so seattle has nothing to do with it

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
the Devils got a first + 4th (possible 3rd) for expiring contracts/players

you guys need to find jesus or go for a walk or something

Reactions: LFCTML

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I am just surprised that the Devils didn't wait till deadline day or maybe the day before. I'd have to assume that the bidding for those two players would have been a littler better no?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
What? NJ got 2 picks, Greer, and Jobst. I am not saying that Lou got fleeced, but he paid plenty.

sorry, i disagree, NYI really didn't pay 'plenty', compared to recent past TDL's, for accomplished rentals
the "prospects' are 24 and 27, marginal hopeful-upside guys

not bashing the deal or the GMs,
i think it reflects that this TDL is strongly a buyers' market
the odd season format, the Seattle draft, and especially the very flat Cap for next few seasons may all be factors

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like the deal from NYI's POV. A late 1st most likely culminates into a player who never sees the NHL, or does 4 years from now. NYI have a small Cup window with this current group (Bailey, Lee, Ebs, Cizikas). This moves the needle enough to put them in the conversation. Ideally, I'd like these two *in addition to Lee.

Palms is now the most proven shoot-first goalscorer NYI have. I suspect he'll be reinvigorated playing for a contender and possibly with Barzal. He can also see weaker D men on the 2nd line and will boost the PP.

Zajac is just the kind of playoff grinder NYI needs on the 3rd line with JPG and Wahlstrom. He can do the dirty work for them and cycle that puck.

Not sure NYI is a shoe-in for a Cup, but they are better than last year and will be a really tough match for any team.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don't know why people say this. Why wouldn't he have been a good fit? Just because he hasn't been in an NHL environment with a disciplined structured approach doesn't mean he can't do it. I've seen him play a lot. He backchecks. He has not been a lazy player (until now, lol, but who knows). Would you have thought that Jordan Eberle could play in Trotz's system? He does. He came from the same environment, and was criticized nearly as much.

Because Hall carries a losing trend to each team he plays for. Sure he's a decent 2 way player now and can back check but you don't win with guys like him on your team.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not sure NYI is a shoe-in for a Cup, but they are better than last year and will be a really tough match for any team.

The whole playoffs is a giant wild card this year. Every team's focus should be coming out of their division. After that, anyone could play anyone. Could be an East vs. West, East vs. Central, or East vs. North Semi. No way to know until the teams are out. These moves were based on NYI making things toughest on Washington, Pittsburgh, and Boston. This was a message to them more than the rest of the league.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Wow - Nice bit of business from NJ.
Gotta respect the willingness to go all-in from the Isles too, but I still don't see them coming out of that division tbh.

Reactions: Sdevils42

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I wouldn't label anyone as a "warm body" until they have had a few years. Look at FLA right now. They are doing quite well with players that leaf fans labeled as "career AHLers".

Who is on FLA a 27y with no AHL experience like Jobst ? Greer never convinced at NHL level either, I am not sure who fits this bill in FLA ?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Wow!!! So much hate for the Isles. I totally respect the group of Ranger fans who understand the game, love their team, and have stuck with them through their up and many down periods.

Seem to be more of them though that talk about the Rangers like they're the Yankees/Patriots.....when their history reads more like that of the Jets.

We all band together in our unrelenting hate for the rangers and their success, including their one cup win since the invasion of normandy

Reactions: 12Dog and goonybird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad