Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Rivalry? Devils and Islanders literally exist to counter the Rangers. Their common enemy makes them friends.

Desperately shooting for second in popularity in a one horse race.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
both quality players but isnt this redundant for them. They already have 4 lines of those 2 players, minus Barzal of course. Excellent depth but dont really see this as an improvement.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
both quality players but isnt this redundant for them. They already have 4 lines of those 2 players, minus Barzal of course. Excellent depth but dont really see this as an improvement.

It is in the sense that they have 0 weak players in the whole lineup. No more komorov. No more dal colle. No more bellows. The opponent gets no break, nyi roll 4 lines.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Who would you rather play with Palmieri and Zajac or any 2 of Komarov/Dal Colle/Bellow/Johnston. While one can argue it's not going to be a huge improvement it just makes 2 of our 4 lines that much better and also gives us depth in case of injury in the playoffs(If one of our centers went down that would have hurt bad before this trade for instance).

Reactions: Caps8112

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

So you think Komarov and MDC = Palmeiri and Zajac? I can understand the first part about them having a bunch of blue collar players that fit this mold, but don't know what to tell you if you don't think those two guys are a bump in talent over the current players dressing every night (Bellows, Komarov, MDC, and Johnston). These two are better than all four of those guys.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Don’t forget that this wasn’t a normal “add” for a team trying to make a run. Lou needed to replace his first line left wing and captain.

Puts Lou in less of a position to say no to trading a 1st compared to another contender who has their first line still intact.

Reactions: Olliemets and beach

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
They gave up a 1st rd pick for a 30yo who’s a 0.5PPG player & an elderly man
People would make fun of Devils fans who suggested Palmieri was worth a 1st
As a Rangers fan now I’m thinking Strome might be worth a top prospect & a 1st lmao
Grasshopper - Success is measured by total contribution, not just ppg. Palms allows complete rebalancing of the lines after Lee's injury, and brings excellent board work and some grit. Zajac provides even more strength to an already extremely solid center core. The trade helps both teams.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Am I the only one that thinks that NJ won this deal?
Yes. The trade helps both teams. Both have very different needs right now. Besides, your team is already penciled in to win the Cup, right? So don't worry about it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think it's great return for NJ considering Palmieri is declining at 30 and is a UFA in a few months. If Palmieri had another season left on his contract at a lower salary like Rakell it would be leaning more towards Islanders winning as getting retention for the whole next season would make them stronger next season when Lee returns. Would not say it's buyers market.

Zajac doesn't have much left if anything, the trade is like 1st + 3rd = pending UFA Palmieri and 2 AHL prospects = Zajac.
We can't afford to keep them as we'll be at the cap limit when Lee returns. So, this is purely a rental, unless Lou has some magic up his sleeves and manages to free up some space.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Both teams had different needs and NJD gets a pickas a rebuilding team, NYI gets quality Top 6 for a cup run. I am actually surprised that it only cost a 1st to get both Zajac and Palmieri.

What? NJ got 2 picks, Greer, and Jobst. I am not saying that Lou got fleeced, but he paid plenty.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
What shocked me was Zajac getting traded after spending his whole career with the Devils.

I know he had a good relationship with Lou and all but... I always like to see a number go in the rafters.
Zajac's number will absolutely be in the Newark rafters. No worries there.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What? NJ got 2 picks, Greer, and Jobst. I am not saying that Lou got fleeced, but he paid plenty.

You have to factor in Greer and Jobst really don't have much value, at best these are guys who might get called up in case of injury, the Islanders just needed to dump 2 contracts in order to pick up 2.

Reactions: 12Dog

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The fact Fitz got anything for Zajac is a minor miracle, he refused to waive last year and playing for Lou is the only thing he would accept.

With the way the market and cap are this year - I expect this is the only 1st that gets moved at the deadline this year - NJ made out pretty well. Obviously NYI got one very nice piece and one complimentary piece, both of which they needed.

Reactions: Traitor Zach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad