Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
The fact Fitz got anything for Zajac is a minor miracle, he refused to waive last year and playing for Lou is the only thing he would accept.

With the way the market and cap are this year - I expect this is the only 1st that gets moved at the deadline this year - NJ made out pretty well. Obviously NYI got one very nice piece and one complimentary piece, both of which they needed.

Yes. Many Devils fans aren't seeing this - they're thinking of Zajac and Palmieri in a "Blake Coleman" prism which isn't accurate. Zajac also would only waive to go to Isles apparently is true from what we are hearing and seeing leak out.

To get a 1 for two playoff rentals in a pandemic crunch season is not bad at all, especially considering it seems Devils are/were willing to move on from both for next season (Zajac may even retire given being 36) and not sign Palmieri long term.

The Devils should also look to move Kulikov for a 2nd (very doable) and have nice little draft bevy of two 1s and two 2s, which adds flexibility on moving them for other pieces, packaging them with prospects or using those picks to replace effort in packaging current prospects out for immediate building block talent on roster).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I really like this deal for the Islanders and I’m a Ranger fan. I thought the Devils didn’t get back enough and could have gotten back more in total by dealing those two separately. You’d have to wonder what the offers were for Palmieri and if Fitzgerald thought he wasn’t going to get anything better by the deadline, but he’s also a relatively new GM.

I think it was a fair deal. Seems like it mostly came down to the Islanders and Boston for Palmieri and the Bruins really did not want to include a 1st rounder in the deal. Toronto was also rumored to be interested, though there was also speculation that they were on Palmieri's no-trade list and it was questionable if he would waive to go there.

Devils could've gotten a 2nd & "meh" prospect for Palms elsewhere, the latter of which they have plenty. Or maybe it could've been a 2nd and mid-round pick. I don't think they were getting a 1st round pick for Palmieri elsewhere - maybe a 2nd and 2022 3rd rounder if they waited and teams got a bit more desperate. I'd still value the 1st rounder over that.

Zajac was always a question mark regarding value given that he had a full NMC which he refused to waive last season. The Islanders were thought to be one of the few teams he might waive for given the proximity to NJ (he doesn't have to uproot his family to see them the next few months) and connection to Lou/Greene. Having Palmieri heading over may have even sealed the deal. Beyond that, there were a lot of question marks as to where he'd waive (maybe Winnipeg, since he's from there - though he'd have to leave his family...a top contender to give him his best shot at a Cup?) and if any of those teams would even be interested in acquiring him. He's probably worth around a 3rd rounder without the full NMC clause, so a conditional 4th that could turn into a 3rd is rather fair value.

The "prospects" the Islanders gave up are purely to balance out their 50 man roster and have next to no value for NJ.

We'll see what Hall and other rentals return in the next few days, but this may also be the only 1st rounder we see dealt for pure rentals.

Both players figure to hit the UFA market as I'm not sure the Islanders have much room to sign them (particularly Palmieri) so there's also a chance either coming back to NJ.

Reactions: buud

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
A great trade for both teams my opinion. I hate seeing Travis in another jersey but I hope he comes back for a reasonable amount of money next year. If not I hope he wins the cup with the Islanders. Palms did not fit with the age and timeline of this group of youngsters the Devils have. Deep down I knew he had to be traded and it saddens me just like when Coleman left. I’m really pulling for the Islanders to take the cup. Travis and Palms and Andy Green really deserve to lift it. Just a really good hockey trade for a both teams. I don’t think anyone team got better of the other. Good luck Islanders!

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Desperately shooting for second in popularity in a one horse race.

This is something that only certain Ranger fans seem oddly obsessed about. Devils and Islander fans could care less which of the two franchises is "second in popularity".

A lot of Devils fans are also Yankee and Giants fans - franchises significantly more popular than the Rangers, not to mention the Mets or Jets. Yet I don't ever hear talk from fans of those teams about "popularity". Even as obnoxious as Cowboy fans are that's not something you rarely hear from them.

The net result of this lack of popularity for the Devils and Islanders - both teams will still spend to the cap, so there's no financial restrictions in icing a good team and ticket prices are significantly cheaper than MSG. Wow, you really zinged us!

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
What? NJ got 2 picks, Greer, and Jobst. I am not saying that Lou got fleeced, but he paid plenty.
Greer and Jobst are bottom level prospects. They will combine for fewer NHL games than the Islanders play this week. The 4th round pick is essentially worthless, no more valuable than an undrafted free agent. So the trade is a 1st. Not nothing, but no fleece.

Reactions: 12Dog

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Rivalry? Devils and Islanders literally exist to counter the Rangers. Their common enemy makes them friends.

The two teams have also rarely ever been good at the same time, which further diminishes the rivalry. The Devils have been in NJ for almost 40 years and the two teams have met in the playoffs just once - back in 1988 in the 1st round. Unless you're in your 40's, you probably don't have any recollection of that series.

Proximity only counts so much - playoffs really cement rivalries. I consider Carolina more of a rival than the Islanders for NJ despite only coming into their division a few years back due to some of the playoff battles between the two teams.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Greer and Jobst are bottom level prospects. They will combine for fewer NHL games than the Islanders play this week. The 4th round pick is essentially worthless, no more valuable than an undrafted free agent. So the trade is a 1st. Not nothing, but no fleece.

No. You're wild on this and trying to win this trade at all cost. This is too dismissive to be taken seriously.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Huh?

4th rounders have plenty of value, perhaps a little moreso this season when a lot of prospects didn't get to play too many games and there was little live scouting. We're going to see some good players drop as a result.

The Devils are getting some nice production this season from their 2016 4th rounder (Maltsev) as well as 6th rounder (Bratt), while they utilized a 5th rounder (Rykov) and 7th rounder (Davies) in trades. Their 2019 4th rounder (Thompson) scored at a 1.2 PPG pace the past 2 seasons at Providence and will be making his 2nd NHL start tonight, while their 2015 5th rounder (Sharangovich) has been one of the better players for NJ this season and will be protected in the upcoming expansion draft.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Islanders are going to be a threat. That's two big additives.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This is something that only certain Ranger fans seem oddly obsessed about. Devils and Islander fans could care less which of the two franchises is "second in popularity".

A lot of Devils fans are also Yankee and Giants fans - franchises significantly more popular than the Rangers, not to mention the Mets or Jets. Yet I don't ever hear talk from fans of those teams about "popularity". Even as obnoxious as Cowboy fans are that's not something you rarely hear from them.

The net result of this lack of popularity for the Devils and Islanders - both teams will still spend to the cap, so there's no financial restrictions in icing a good team and ticket prices are significantly cheaper than MSG. Wow, you really zinged us!
It's the only accomplishment they have, winning the popularity contest. They sure aren't winning anything else.

Reactions: Olliemets

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Also, to some of them. Popularity>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cups

It's like the "popular kids" in High School, "look at those nerds over there". Well the nerds went on to make 400k a year and the ones yelling it turned out to be grave diggers.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
They gave up a 1st rd pick for a 30yo who’s a 0.5PPG player & an elderly man
People would make fun of Devils fans who suggested Palmieri was worth a 1st
As a Rangers fan now I’m thinking Strome might be worth a top prospect & a 1st lmao
Ahhhh now it makes sense

Reactions: LeapOnOver

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Good deal for the two worst organizations in the league.

Most saw a deal coming. I thought the Isles would get wood rather than Zajac, but as many dev fans noted he might not be for sale.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Okay trade. Don't see this putting Islanders over the edge to beating the Bolts this year though, but hey, you gotta try.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Isles are going to be an even tougher team to play against this playoffs. The most balanced team lines 1-4, all forwards are very strong 2 way players.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The two teams have also rarely ever been good at the same time, which further diminishes the rivalry. The Devils have been in NJ for almost 40 years and the two teams have met in the playoffs just once - back in 1988 in the 1st round.

The last Devils player I really disliked was Mike Rupp. And then he went to the Penguins, where I disliked him. Then the Rangers, where I also disliked him. Now he's on TV, and I still loathe him.

Reactions: scoopscj

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad