Confirmed with Link: [NYI/MIN] Cal Clutterbuck + 2013 3rd for Nino Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Maximum potential cap hit for Nino is just shy of 2.8; that's with all performance bonuses.

Let's be honest, if he makes those bonuses, we won't be complaining.

Otherwise his cap hit something like 2.3 I think.

Imo, totally worth it.

He has the greatest potential of all our prospects, and players for that matter, to be a prolific scorer.

Something we all have been *****ing about and wanting right?

I don't see a problem.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
And more than a few Wild fans think they have an automatic Milan Lucic type top six forward..

If Nino was all that, he wouldn't have been available. period - much less than for a bottom 6 grinder like CC....

In Nino, you may have more than what you paid for !!

He was definitely mishandled by the Islanders ...

- last year he spent the year in NHL while he wasn't ready
- this year he spent his time in AHL ... while he would have been NHL ready ...

i still believe that this year in AHL was very good for him. In this the islanders treated him well. I saw him in the WC .... and he is just incomparable with the last year in terms of maturity.

Today's talks may reveal ridiculous in october-nov-dec of this year !

He has good potential ... i do not believe that he is heading the "bust" path.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maximum potential cap hit for Nino is just shy of 2.8; that's with all performance bonuses.

Let's be honest, if he makes those bonuses, we won't be complaining.

Otherwise his cap hit something like 2.3 I think.

Imo, totally worth it.

He has the greatest potential of all our prospects, and players for that matter, to be a prolific scorer.

Something we all have been *****ing about and wanting right?

I don't see a problem.
Which also makes this...NOT a cap move, as Cal would've been cheaper cap-wise... The cap moves are yet to come.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
KFAN had an interview with El Nino

Paraphrasing:

How do you pronounce your name?
Nee-no Nee-der-eye-ter

How do you feel about the El Nino nickname?
It doesn't really matter to me

Reaction to trade?
A little surprised, knew they were interested in me, excited about a new opportunity

Type of player?
Trying to be a power forward, use size and skill set

What do you need to improve on?
Need to improve in every aspect, get faster and get shot off quicker

Biggest difference between AHL and NHL?
Everything goes faster in the NHL, more mistakes happen in AHL, improved my game last year in Bridgeport

Issues with NYI management?
Disappointed didn't get invited to camp, that's how it is, can't control, communications could have been better with both parties, happy to be a Wild

On not getting the call up?
Wasn't easy but couldn't control, tried to just put up points and get game to the next level, played a lot of minutes in AHL and got better

How much do you know about the Wild?
A lot of great players, young players, knows Mikael Granlund from draft and WJC

Expectations for next season?
Goal is to play for the Wild next season, have best summer and camp I can

On being highest drafted player from Switzerland
Amazing feeling being highest drafted Swiss player, haven't made goal of being an NHL player yet

Swiss national team?
Always there in Int'l competition but haven't beat big teams, made a statement last year

Difference between international and NHL hockey?
Big ice surface everything goes faster and skate more

Excited about Olympics?
Would love to represent country but biggest focus is making the Wild

Summer training?
Practice every day, improve game, get stronger, get faster, will get on ice soon, practice with Russian coach on ice and with Swiss club

Why leave Switzerland for CHL?
First agent said it would help him to make the NHL

Hard to leave Switzerland?
Hardest thing to learn the language and leave family, used Skype a lot

How did you learn English?
Had a roommate that helped in Portland, took lessons from a tutor in Portland

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nice find!

"I think when you bust with a skill guy you tend to trade for a high end grinder."

/humblebrag

Also:

"My problem with the Nino situash:

Last year they kept him on the roster as a fourth liner/healthy scratch so his salary would push them over the floor. This year they aren't giving him a shot in the NHL. I'd like to know if there are bonuses in play.

If it turns out the Islanders are making roster decisions based on saving a bit of money...man that would be a TERRIBLE precedent."

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
If Nino has some sort of attitude issue, I'd mostly put the blame on the Isles for obvious reason.

He's still young and has time to change it especially being on a team not named the New York Islanders now.

Phant03

Jan 18, 2013
I don't buy he has an attitude problem. This is a kid who left his country to play in the Dub, by all accounts was a good kid for them. Anything anyone is passing off as "attitude" I'd throw back as terrible handling by the Islanders.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
If Clutterbuck is put on the LW side of Tavares, with Grabner on the RW side... I would expect him Clutter to open up a lot of space for the other two. The opposing D are typically a lot more worried about getting smashed into the glass than anything else. If Clutterbuck causes the puck to be coughed up as he finishes his check, Grabner/Tavares should be able to pick it up and do something with it.

A line of Clutter-Nielsen-Okposo would be a mess. A line of Clutter-Tavares-Okposo may have some possibilities... But I like the speed of Grabner more than anything else in tandem with a Clutter-Tavares pairing.

:laugh:

That isn't happening. Tavares and Moulson are linked at the hip. They are a perfect combination and have proven so the last three years. I could see them trying Clutterbuck up there on the right side of those two given that is where Brad Boyes played last year.

Moulson - Tavares - Clutterbuck

Grabner has seemed to move down the depth chart a bit last year. He wasn't even on the second line either. He played mostly a third line role and as a PKer.

Bailey - Nielson - Okposo was the islanders second line.

The Islanders want a right handed show on the RW to go with Moulson on JT so it will probably end of being Okposo or Clutterbuck if they decide to let Boyes go to free agency.

The second line I listed above had a great stretch run when the Islanders were pushing for the playoffs and into the playoffs so I don't know if they want to split that up. But given the expectations for Okposo it might be his time to step up to first line duty. His presence on that second line does give their offense much more depth though.

It would be awesome to see Clutterbuck tear it up on a line with Moulson and JT as I am a huge Islander fan. But since I'm a huge Islander fan I always make it a point to draft Tavares in my fantasy league. Clutterbuck might just **** up my boys production with his playing on an island and trigger happy miss the net nature. Tavares love to cycle, but he can create of the rush. Clutter doesn't have a clue when it comes to sustaining offensive pressure.

WildFinn*

Anyone else feel this made up for the missing first rounder.

The Pominville deal does not hurt so much anymore. :D

This made the summer and the new picks are also nice.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just listened to the Niederreiter interview (thanks for the link!). Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, but just got frustrated with an obvious frustrating situation.

He knows he's not guaranteed a roster spot with the Wild this year, but hopes to earn one if he can.

He's got a clean slate, lets see how it goes. With Granlund, Coyle and Zucker also vying for spots, he must know nothing will be handed to anyone.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Anyone else feel this made up for the missing first rounder.

The Pominville deal does not hurt so much anymore. :D

This made the summer and the new picks are also nice.

IMO that more than made up for it. Niederreiter is closer to being an NHL player than anyone we could've picked in the first round.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
IMO that more than made up for it. Niederreiter is closer to being an NHL player than anyone we could've picked in the first round.

That is what I love about this move. Instead of trading for a pick that would have taken another 3 years to produce if ever. We got a former top 5 pick that is right on track with our current core of top prospects. He had a great year in the AHL last year and is in perfect position to challenge for a roster spot in the top 6 right now.

This could be Fletch's greatest trade to date if El Nino can continue to improve. I think this new situation will give him a lot of motivation to get to that next level. Who knows he might just end up being our best young guy besides Brodin of course.

I am absolutely ecstatic over this move. Trading a grinding 3rd liner who hits and shoots for a potential 1st/2nd line scoring powerforward. What isn't to like about this trade. Genius. Fletch should get back on the phone and make a few more of these deals happen haha.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Just listened to the Niederreiter interview (thanks for the link!). Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, but just got frustrated with an obvious frustrating situation.

He knows he's not guaranteed a roster spot with the Wild this year, but hopes to earn one if he can.

He's got a clean slate, lets see how it goes. With Granlund, Coyle and Zucker also vying for spots, he must know nothing will be handed to anyone.

He for sure knows that nothing will be given to him with people vying for that spot on the wing. If I was a 20 year old kid from another country in his situation- having given up my entire life to play hockey in a foreign continent- I would be going balls to the walls with training this offseason. Be in incredible condition, working on skating and shooting, watching film. Come into camp with the clean slate mindset. The kid is a good but not great skater at the moment- something that can get better for the next four years (Granlund too), but he was a great shot and seems to find his way into scoring areas.

I have to believe what I see from the kid, and from what a few of the 'experts' have to say about him. Pierre may be a weird *** guy, but he knows hockey as well as anyone in the NHL and he says the kid is going to be a 20-30 goal guy. I don't care if he isn't a 40+ goal scorer. We need someone who is less streaky than Seto who can pot 25 every year.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Am I the only one who still cannot believe we got Nino for a third line grinder? So happy we got him

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Thanks for the link dude

If Nino has some sort of attitude issue, I'd mostly put the blame on the Isles for obvious reason.

He's still young and has time to change it especially being on a team not named the New York Islanders now.

He's 20 years old. I wouldn't have a lot of patience if I'm on a NYI team that isn't using me the way I should be. Sheppard probably knows that feeling too.

He sounded very humble in the interview. Also very good English! He should probably help Granlund with that

Fletcher said something about that. Outside of probably the Top 3 kids, most of those guys are not making the NHL roster. Nino is ready now.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
He definitely had maturity issues.

Hopefully he matures and does well for you guys.

Problems with Nino:
1) Wasn't thrilled about having to play in the WHL the year after he was drafted, got off to a slow start when he came back to Portland.
2) Wasn't happy with playing on the 4th line two years after he was drafted, didn't produce (bad linemates, no ice, not exactly shocking).
3) Wasn't happy about not getting invited to training camp in 2013. Sulks, and goes on a massive slump in Bridgeport. He was essentially a ppg player until that moment.
4) Whenever Garth Snow visited Bridgeport, he put in one his best performances of the season. Its almost the case of the worker who only works hard when the bossman is looking, that's not a good attitude at all.

The way he has handled setbacks is not great.

For all their warts, the Islanders do well with retention (meaning players actually like the organization once they get here). This is definitely something there as far as Nino's attitude goes. Like I said, I hope it clicks for him one day.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Not to mention, at worst he's a top 15 pick this draft, and if we actually traded for a top 15 pick it'd cost a lot more than Cbuck and a 3rd.

So happy with Fletcher for this.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
Niederreiter is low on character and heart. He pulled the most spineless turtle in the AHL I've seen in a while. Made me absolutely sick to my stomach to see it. When I first saw it, I didn't know who it was, so I was even more disgusted when I watched it again and realized it was Niederreiter whose character was already questionable. It's in one of Bridgeport's game highlights videos on YouTube. Unfortunately I can't remember which, but there were several fights going on, so if you're interested, look through Bridgeport's boxscores. It was in the latter half of the season, definitely well after the lockout ended.

He is also led by the nose by a Swiss agent who by the looks of it doesn't work for his client's long-term but his own short-term interest. This suggests to me that it's not so much the player being arrogant but naive and impressionable. He also doesn't have the maturity to handle adversity as his scoring in the AHL plummeted when he didn't make the Islanders after the lockout.

As far as his on-ice ability, the year he had one goal in 55 NHL games, his main problems were foot speed, positioning, and speed of thinking. Based on what I've seen of him since, his first step still looks sluggish. His skating and speed is fine when he's already in motion, but he just doesn't have that quickness. As he doesn't read the game at a higher level, that lack of quickness hurts him and can make it look like he's well out of his depth at the NHL level. His defensive positioning was plain bad, but that is often the case with young forwards. I think there is a lot of potential there and he should turn into a 20-goal scorer at least, but I don't think he has the heart to ever be a true power forward. In any case, Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick was not great value for the Islanders in return, but given the soured relationship between player and team, they probably felt they might as well take the best offer to get rid of the problem.

This narrative that the Islanders mistreated him is hooey. If anyone has mistreated him, it's his agent. If the Islanders had ruined his development, he would have stunk in the AHL too. Instead he started the year putting up a point per game until the end of the lockout. Let's be realistic here. In 11-12 the Islanders had two options, send the kid back to the juniors or keep him on the NHL roster. They kept him in the NHL, and as a result the kid banked one million dollars. He then thanked the Islanders for that by acting like a baby. To me, that's a red flag about character. Any player with good character is respectful of the team that drafts them and invests in their development. A good character kid would say to himself, "OK, I wasn't ready last year, and I can see why they didn't want to take the chance of bringing me up for the shortened NHL season this year, it stings, but they did give me a million dollars last year and I let them down, so the least I can do is keep working hard and show them they made the right choice in selecting me". That this kid did not do that means he's been getting bad advise. In my opinion, none of this drama happens if he has a North American agent who knows how the NHL works, so I guess Chuch Fletcher should fire off a quick thank you note to his agent. ;)

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Love the trade, love everything about it.

1. getting rid of Clutterbuck who quite possibly was the worst offensive positioned winger I have ever seen. He has a good shot but only shoots from the worst angles, so each shot ends up hitting the glass.

2. Getting Nino, for a grinder who (IMO) is on the decline, possibly rapidly declining and a 3rd round pick. Nino could be a quality 25-30 goal scorer in a couple seasons. Could also end up being a 10 goal guy... either way, his offensive production will be more than clutterbucks

Nino will more than likely make the team out of camp, especially if Seto is traded for D help this weekend (rumored time when trades will start up) or if Heatley is bought out during round 2 of buyouts.... I would like to keep Setoguchi if possible, but I don't see how we can roll into next year with our current group of defensemen and projected boring free agent signings due to our cap situation.... I am really curious to see how Fletcher goes about our #2 center situation. I think Cullen is gone, cap reason because I don't think it is in the clubs best interest to sign him to a 3 year 10-11 million contract.

Nino Nino Nino. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad