Confirmed with Link: [NYI/MIN] Cal Clutterbuck + 2013 3rd for Nino Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm not expecting Nino to fight anyone. But I would expect him to throw hits and power to the net.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Odd that a player that has a history of concussion problems doesn't wanna engage in some face punching.

he had reasons, but man he still doesn't look good beaking then not backing it up. who knows what that crazy ginger was saying to him though.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
While I think it would be pre-mature to start trying to put together fan-lines...

I am not even remotely on board with trying Coyle as the second line center. In my mind, I would rather do a bit more mixing of the lines...

Parise - Koivu - Nino (playmaker - grinder - shooter)
Heatley - Brodziak - Granlund (shooter - grinder - playmaker)
Pominville - Coyle - Setoguchi (playmaker - grinder - shooter)
Mitchell - Dowell - Rupp
Konopka

Each of the top-9 sets has a strong, defensively responsible player to balance out the weaker. Unfortunately, the weaker defensive forwards would all (essentially) be on the RW side and could easily be exploited.

Easily offset by having the stronger D on the right side.

/shrug

:laugh: you say you don't want Coyle as our second line center, but do you see your lines. That third line would easily be the second line in terms of minutes played. I do like the idea of putting Nino on that top line instead of Coyle though. We need more offensive production from those guys.

Lets just hope Granlund comes into camp ready to take that 2nd line center spot. We need him to step up bad or we are in a tough spot down the middle this year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Forgive us if some of us had soured on him over the last couple years. Allow me to provide you with an accurate description of Clutterbucks play.

Clutterbuck will start in the defensive zone, he'll play good defense in the zone. Not bad, not great, just good. Anyway, his center or defenseman will get the puck and start the breakout. Clutterbuck will receive a pass on the right side of the ice at around the center red line. He'll proceed to skate down the right side into the zone with the puck, where he'll realize he no longer has room. When this happens, he will fire a shot high and wide right, then proceed to get down into the zone, throw a few borderline late hits, then go off for a line change.

Sometimes the puck will be dumped in by someone else, and he'll then proceed to get down into the zone, throw a few borderline late hits, then go off for a line change.

Occasionally one of his hits will spark a reaction, in which case he'll get up in someones face, and start talking to him, but he will NEVER fight. If he's on the ice and one of his linemates gets hurt by a huge crushing hit, he will NOT go over and defend him.

He'll be decent on the PK if you choose to use him that way, but don't expect him to wow you.

As of right now, you are getting an undersized grinder who may score 10 goals in the right situation, but he'll hit a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpRedDawn*

I haven't soured on Cal at all. He was on our best players in the playoffs. But, the trade makes sense. Sucks to see him go, but the upside potential for Nino is cray cray. Worth it

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Coyle learned alot playing on the first line this year. I hope Nino can do the same. Hope he works as hard as Coyle did too.

rjmkrm

May 11, 2013
Forgive us if some of us had soured on him over the last couple years. Allow me to provide you with an accurate description of Clutterbucks play.

Clutterbuck will start in the defensive zone, he'll play good defense in the zone. Not bad, not great, just good. Anyway, his center or defenseman will get the puck and start the breakout. Clutterbuck will receive a pass on the right side of the ice at around the center red line. He'll proceed to skate down the right side into the zone with the puck, where he'll realize he no longer has room. When this happens, he will fire a shot high and wide right, then proceed to get down into the zone, throw a few borderline late hits, then go off for a line change.

Sometimes the puck will be dumped in by someone else, and he'll then proceed to get down into the zone, throw a few borderline late hits, then go off for a line change.

Occasionally one of his hits will spark a reaction, in which case he'll get up in someones face, and start talking to him, but he will NEVER fight. If he's on the ice and one of his linemates gets hurt by a huge crushing hit, he will NOT go over and defend him.

He'll be decent on the PK if you choose to use him that way, but don't expect him to wow you.

As of right now, you are getting an undersized grinder who may score 10 goals in the right situation, but he'll hit a lot.

Nothing wrong with a bottom six grinder to fill out a 3rd or 4th line. Regarding the teammate support issue, JT had a different view of him when they played together. Maybe his game has changed. You guys see him every game so you have better insight.

This guy basically will replace Marty Reasoner on the 4th line. A warm six pack would be an improvement over MR.

Nino better learn to play some type of defense or you guys will grow frustrated with him very quickly. Saw him alot at Bridgeport and there is a lot to be done there. Definitely has the tools to be a good player, but must work on his all around game. He was young but -29 in 55 games is really hard to do playing 7-10 mins per game...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I am a huge Clutterbuck fan, even have some of his memorabilia, so you know I wouldn't bag on him, but AKL's description of his game is 90% accurate. The guy doesn't pass (and when he does, it's poorly), he shoots very often, and misses often as well (which is something I didn't usually mind too much, since so few on the Wild do have a shoot first mentality), and I would add to AKL's description that, when we take the offensive zone and set up, if Clutterbuck goes to the net, he usually looks pretty decent as long as the other 4 guys get a shot on the net, but when he tries the perimeter and cycling game, it usually doesn't end well.
As far as his hits, see AKL's description. Most of his hits are just behind the puck, but every now and then he gets there in time and forces a turnover, so I never minded the borderline late hits so much, knowing what the payoff could be.

In conclusion, Clutterbuck is a willing and above average grinder who has limited offense to his game (which is way more offense than most grinders have, so not bad). If he plays with Tavares for the whole season, I could see a 25 goal 15 assist season out of him. It would be a career high. If he plays lower on the depth chart (personally, I'd have Okposo over him to start) expect 15-20 goals, tops, and maybe 10 assists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Clutterbuck really is a tweener.

He can score goals and hit but he's not quite a power forward.
He can hit and agitate but he's not just a pest.
He is physical and tough but he's not a fighter.
He can kill penalties and play strong defensively but he's better than a grinder.

Pretty unique player. Not really any comparables in the league IMO.

Just some things to keep in mind...

Also his effectiveness at drawing penalties has weakened as he's got a reputation for diving.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I really like this trade. Nino is still a great prospect who can become a 20-goal scoring power forward for this team. Not bad for Clutterbuck. Not to mention he's basically NHL ready. Him and Granlund are buddies from 2010 Draft (roommates IIRC), sure they'll compete from the same roster spots now but Granlund might make it as a center after all. He's training his ass off this summer, some great quotes recently. That's for another topic though. Welcome to State of Hockey, Nino!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nino has 1 point in 55 career NHL games, and we want him on our 1st line?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nino has 1 point in 55 career NHL games, and we want him on our 1st line?

If you don't count Brodin, Nino is the best prospect we have, and some people liked Coyle on the first line last year.

barnabyrules

Apr 29, 2004
Clutterbuck signed a 4 year, $11 million deal with the Isles. Pretty good price, IMO. Thought he'd get over 3 a year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Clutterbuck signed a 4 year, $11 million deal with the Isles. Pretty good price, IMO. Thought he'd get over 3 a year.

I thought he would get closer to $2 million per season for 3 years. I think Clutterbuck's deal is too much and too long.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Adding Nino adds to one of the brightest sets of young forwards in the NHL. They have guys who can score goals, mix it up in the corners and in front of the net, pass the puck and skate relatively well. Will be fun watching them develop and blossum.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm liking Niederreiter's commitment already!

Michael Russo Russostrib

@DSpogolf You aware Nino is flying to Turku, Finland, this month to train w Koivu? Stop making assumptions bc you dislike the guy

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nice thing about Nino is that he might allow us to move Coyle to 2nd line center without losing size on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad