Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Cory Schneider signs with the Islanders (1 year, $700K)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Varly gets traded or goes in the expansion draft. Don't know where Varly gets traded to though.

Would be an amazing comeback story for Schneider to emerge to his old self under Trotz's system.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I don’t see a problem with signing him. They can just demote him if he doesn’t play well. Also, New York is a better environment than New Jersey.
No doubt 12k fans per game played mostly in an arena in which 30% of the seats are obstructed views or inaccessible in a location where no one cares about the team is a "better environment." Let's not forget about that winning culture they've had for 35+ years.

All the best to Cory though, he's a great guy.

Last edited:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
No doubt 12k fans per game played mostly in an arena in which 30% of the seats are obstructed views or inaccessible in a location where no one cares about the team is a "better environment." Let's not forget about that winning culture they've had for 35+ years.

All the best to Cory though, he's a great guy.
The Islanders haven't played at Barclay's in more than a season. Never going back there either. I dont know where the poster was going with his environment comment but need to say that.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It's obvious a signing for Bridgeport and a favour from Lou. Who the hell thinks he's going to see a second in the NHL? Lol.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone else think this is a way to get Schneider into the system for the NYI front office? Maybe Lou sees that potential and wanted Schneider to have a ground floor view before taking him upstairs next year (remembering what he saw with Brodeur in his final season).

Reactions: buud

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's obvious a signing for Bridgeport and a favour from Lou. Who the hell thinks he's going to see a second in the NHL? Lol.

I could be wrong but I do believe Varlamov has an injury history so Schneider does give the Isles insurance

Anyone else think this is a way to get Schneider into the system for the NYI front office? Maybe Lou sees that potential and wanted Schneider to have a ground floor view before taking him upstairs next year (remembering what he saw with Brodeur in his final season).

If Sorokin pans out I do think Lou will try everything he can do to unload Varlamov next summer, thus Schneider might be the future backup

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I could be wrong but I do believe Varlamov has an injury history so Schneider does give the Isles insurance

If Sorokin pans out I do think Lou will try everything he can do to unload Varlamov next summer, thus Schneider might be the future backup

sorry, can’t see Schneider being a backup. This reminds me of DP trying to prove he could still play. I think Schneider will show he’s done and this is just a courtesy from Lou. Also he gets hurt all the time. If miraculously he became the backup the Islanders would have no depth at all.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
sorry, can’t see Schneider being a backup. This reminds me of DP trying to prove he could still play. I think Schneider will show he’s done and this is just a courtesy from Lou. Also he gets hurt all the time. If miraculously he became the backup the Islanders would have no depth at all.
I do think with the condensed schedule, the third goalie might be more important. Schneider isn’t great but I don’t necessarily see better options

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
If he's healthy he's very much an NHL goalie. The tales of his demise have been greatly exaggerated

I completely agree. I posted many times he will be back in NHL after many said he is done and will not see NHL ever again. He was actually very good at the end last season. More, I think he is brought to Islanders as a backup, not as a third goalie.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll be honest he was among the last goalies I thought would even get a cheap deal, him and Howard.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

No, just no. Because goalies matter. If he trades Varly, we will pick up a goalie better than this.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

I hope your right. I think the organization needs a youthful thinker. Though I feel Cory was signed as a reclamation project. Maybe if healthy he will have some success in a goalie friendly system. Maybe he's just insurance. Hopefully he's not washed up.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I do think with the condensed schedule, the third goalie might be more important. Schneider isn’t great but I don’t necessarily see better options
Howard maybe a better option and that's about it. I have no problem with this move. It's a one year deal on the cheap.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
At this point in his career, practically any minor league goalie without nhl experience is a better option than schneider.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Schneider is actually a couple years younger than Jimmy Howard. Didn't realize how long he's played in the NHL. Wonder who will give Howard a contract like this one.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Suppodly Schneider Martin and Greene all
Have agreements with Lou bur are waiting for Lou to make other moves first. Possibly Trading Boychuk and/or Re-signing Barzal/Pulock
Definitely.

Why put those three players (maybe a total of 4M?) on the cap when you've got more than 11M you have to have signed fairly soon?

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad